Author Topic: CARVER Ramblings Part 2  (Read 74454 times)

Offline Easby Carver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: CARVER Ramblings Part 2
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 31 December 09 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

As Santa didn’t bring me anything I wanted this year (you know I should stop lighting that fire...) I’m hoping you might be able to assist/resolve in the quest to assimilate the Cambridridge Carvers with the Bedfordshire Carvers.   My starting point is this:

•   Some of our current number have been able to trace themselves back to the Cambridgeshire Carvers including an Australian connection.

•   Whilst we may be reasonably sure there is some sort of connection between the two groups, we as yet have no definitive link established between them.

Are these statements valid/still valid? 

Moving forward...

I have 71 Cambridgeshire Carvers on my tree descended from the Thomas Carver (circa 1700) who married Mary Bromidge; much of this info has been supplied from RootsChat contributions.   A question I shall pose here; if there is a connection between the Bedfordshires and the Cambridgeshires – why did this manifest itself in Melbourn?

Furthermore I have a separate tree of 17 Carvers based in Melbourn between the late 1500s and early 1700s which I have no connection to either the later Melbourn Carvers or the Bedfordshire mob, for.   Who are these Carvers?   What happened to them? 

Specifically, I have (and forgive me here, as I have ‘joined the dots’ a little presumptiously once or twice here...

THOMAS CARVER (d. 1601) married ALICE HITCHE (d. 1635) in 1592.

Children:
JOSEPHE (b. 1593)
JOHN (b. 1595)
MARYE (b. 1598)
THOMAS (b. 1601; d.1659)

Of these JOSEPHE had 4 children (wife unknown):
JOANE (b.1627; d.1627)
ANN (b.1628)
AMBROSSE (b.1629; d.1630)
MARYE (b.1631)

THOMAS married a MARY (d.1676) and had 2 children:
THOMAS (b.1640)
WILLIAM (b.1642; d.1699)

WILLIAM married an ANNE (d.1722) and had 3 children:
WILLIAM (d. 1682)
JOHN (b.1682)
ANN (b. 1684)

Summary of timelines:

My Melbourn I group run approx 1565 to 1722.
   My Melbourn II group run approx. 1700 to the present day.

We have an overlap here.  Can anyone see/suggest a link?

A key Wrestlingworth Carver is the William Carver of Dunton who was born in 1682 and died in 1759 leaving a will and a son called John.   Again another overlap here.

Final question/suggestion/spanner-in-the-works: Perhaps there isn’t any connection between the Bedfordshire and Cambridgeshire Carvers after all and that the Melbourn Carvers are one long continuation from the late 1500s to the pesent day?

PS: I’ll sneak one more in while nobody’s looking: Who was the Rebecca Carver who married Joseph Stockbridge (widower of Meldreth) on Jan 6th, 1829 in Melbourn.  Rebecca had parent’s permission recorded so presumably would be in late teens.

Cheers,

Neil.

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 31 December 09 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neil

I can answer your final question Rebecca Carver who married Joseph Stockbridge was daughter of Thomas Carver a Baker of Bedford originally from Wellingborough and his second wife Elizabeth Patston. It is likely Thomas born c1759 was son of John the preacher. I have wills and parish record entries for this family. Another daughter Elizabeth in her will of 1832 leaves money to her sister Rebecca Anne Stonebride widow of Meldreth : she says should Rebecca and her children predecease her the money should go to William Crole Carver of Melbourn - so we do have at least one definitive connection between Bedfordshire and Cambs.

Also William Carver of Dunton is most likely the one baptised Sutton 9th Oct 1682 parents Peter and Joan (nee Russell).

I will give some thought to your earlier Melbourn Carvers

Happy New Year

Jan ;)

Just noticed Rebecca married with permission of parents - this is a puzzle as she was born c 1794 ???
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline Easby Carver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 01 January 10 07:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janan,

Happy New Year.

Good stuff to start the year on.

Been looking at my notes and I can now see why this Rebecca Carver was a problem for me.  I have the daughter of Thomas Carver & Elizabeth Patson, (27 Mar 1794) in Bedford St. Peter as ROBERTA ANN CARVER.  My notes also tell me that I sourced this information from the 1930s 'Australian' tree which appeared here some while back and I have also noted a baptism record for 'ROB ANN'.  I may have simply mistranscribed the name but at least it is an explanation.  However, it still leaves a problem because of the parental approval.

My source for this information is the parish register marriage summary held at the Cambridgeshire County Records Office.   Rebecca is stated here as 'otp' and a 'spinster' (no ages given).   The reference to the parents' consent being given comes from the bishop's transcript and not the parish register. The summary entry also points out the spelling of Rebecca here as 'REBBECCA'.    The summary entry also states the marriage as 'by licence' (which may not be significant) and that the witnesses were John Newling and Frances Crook.

It could be the CCRO summary is incorrect; or that it is correct but that the source BT record is incorrect.   It is easy to see how Roberta and Rebecca could get mistranscribed (perhaps by me) somewhere along the way.

I take it the sister Elizabeth referred to in the will is Elizabeth Islip?

Coming back to my previous posting, I was querying the link between the Bedfordshire Carvers and the Cambridgeshire Carvers.   I'm still uncertain about this because whilst the Bedford St. Peter group are clearly in Bedfordshire and you have established the financial link through the wills back to the Cambridgeshire Carvers, they are effectively, are they not, Cambridgeshire Carvers who happened to have moved to Bedford.   Therefore, they are not part of the Bedfordshire family group by established relationship (or at least on my tree yet)...is this a valid statement?

One other thing, the THOMAS CARVER buried in Melbourn on Jun 3, 1601 has the additional entry of 'Clerk Curate' for him.  So we have as long ago as 1601 in Melbourn a religious member of the Carvers.  The source for this was again the CCRO Parish/BT summary.

Cheers,

Neil.

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 01 January 10 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neil

Yes the will is of Elizabeth Islip, it is dated 1832. Her sister Rebecca Anne is a widow and  I note there is a burial for Joseph Stockbridge age 47 in Meldreth 1831. Rebecca Stockbridge widow age 58 appears on the 1851 census in Melbourn birthplace Bedford. She is on 1861/71 as Rebecca A, still in Melbourn and born Bedford c1794. I think the Bishops transcript entry about parental consent must be  a mistake - in fact just realised both her parents were dead by the time she married.

I agree that the Beds/Cambs link in this case doesn't mean a lot. The stronger link would appear to be the non-conformist ministry and the name Thomas. Interesting that you have an earlier Thomas in Melbourn. Maybe preacher descendants of his wandered into Beds and begat Thomas who married Mary Bromidge?

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline Chris Carver

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 01 January 10 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Crawled off my sickbed to reply (and pack for ski hol tomorrow).

Thomas Carvel/Carver (c1700-1762) married Mary Bromidge (c 1700-1758) May 1720 in Turvey.  Settled in Southill Sep 1720.
Not sure where he originated, I had been of the opinion that he may have come over the border from Northants or from Norfolk, but perhaps he did come from Cambs?

Their known/assumed children:

Rebecca infant death 1728
*John 1733 - 1797
**Samuel 1734-1767
?Thomas? m Mary Vintinier nee Austin d 1794

*John 1733-1797 m Ann Dunton 1754 and  became Rev John of Kirtling and Wellingborough

Their known/assumed children:

Thomas 1759-1809 Baker of Bedford m Eliz Grummitt and Elizabeth Patson.  One infant death from 1st marriage, 6 from 2nd:  Abraham, Catherine, Elizabeth, John, Thomas and Rebecca Ann
John c 1760 Capt in Army
James & Elizabeth infant deaths 1765
Benjamin 1768-1822 transported to Australia
William 1770-1825 b Kirtling d Melbourn another Rev
Also Mary, Sarah and Martha

**Samuel 1734-1767 apprenticed to Hitchin in 1744 married
1 Margaret Walker 1734-1758

one child Samuel of Bowles and Carver fame

2 Mary Prior 1740-1777

4 children Thomas, Mary, John and Elizabeth.

So no link top the Wrestlingworth carvers yet, but having just toured Cambs/Beds and Northants with Aussie Bev, I was amazed how close all the relevant villages were.  The question I ask is where did your earliest Wrestlingwirth carvers come from?
London - Carver Philbedge<br />Sheffield - Carver Lindley Lockey Denton Naylor Barnes Wright Fawkes Bradshaw White Allen<br />Durham - Lockey<br />Wales - Philbedge<br />Beds - Carver<br />South Africa - van der Sandt, Heydenrych<br />Somerset - House Hembery Marshall Parsons Bell Dare Neath Gray

Offline MaggieLou915

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 02 January 10 03:25 GMT (UK) »
Happy New Year all

I have scrolled through all of the messages in Carver ramblings 1 and 2 and was not able to find reference to the date of death for John Carver married to Elizabeth Merrington other than a year of death.  I checked my Wrestlingworth Parish Registers and found a burial in the Parish of Wrestlingworth, Bedford for a John Carver living in Wrestlingworth, age 68 who was buried February 10th 1827.  I have not found any burial for Elizabeth Carver.

Marg
Carver....Bedfordshire and Leeds Yorkshire
Schofield....Hunslet and Leeds Yorkshire
Oliver...Hardingstone and Roade Northampton
Dutch and Hornsby....Bethnal Green and Spitalfields, London

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 02 January 10 16:56 GMT (UK) »
There were Elizabeth Carver burials in Wrestlingworth on 30 Nov 1801 and on 31 July 1809. No ages were given so it will need reference to the parish register or the transcript to see if either of them was described as wife of John

David

I was the chief Carver of our Christmas turkey, but this is the only affiliation I can claim to this enigmatic family
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 03 January 10 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone

I have the Wrestlingworth Carvers tracked back through Dunton and Sutton to a marriage in Potton of Peter Carvill and Joan Ancell in Potton 7 Jan 1609 with reasonable certainty, providing John Carver born c1759 who married Elizabeth Merrington is John s of John CARVER and Mary (nee Willason) baptised Dunton Sep 24 1758. I believe the Elizabeth Carver buried Wrestlingworth 1801  to be Elizabeth nee Merrington and the one buried 1809 to be Elizabeth nee Bird the first wife of William Carver son of John and Elizabeth baptised Cockayne Hatley 11/12/1783. I don't have any proof as sadly the registers contain no further info.

The other early Beds Carvers are in Dean including
Samuels baptised 8 DEC 1605 and 7 JUL 1607 father Thomas
Both may have died in infancy - burials 14 Feb 1606 and 26 Nov 1607. I do wonder if this family is connected to the Southill families given the naming pattern.

Jan ;)

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline Easby Carver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 03 January 10 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janan,

Re: Peter & Joan of Potton. 

Concur there are a series of plausible stepping stones back to these people for the Wrestlingworth Carvers, alas without the definitive proof, as yet.  For what it's worth, for a long time I was inclined to believe that although some of the links might eventually prove false,  I tended to the view that all Bedfordshire Carver roads led back to Potton, the 1550s and Peter Carver, albeit in a possibly more circuitous/devious route and that the Cambridgeshire bunch derived in some way from the Bedfordshire Carvers.   I am now less inclined to believe this scenario and more inclined to believe that the Cambridgeshire Carvers were the centre of the Carver Universe and that the Bedfordshire Carvers are a satellite of them and what link there is between them goes even futher back.

I, of course, have no definitive proof of this - it is more of a gut feel backed up by the following pontifications.  Apologies if its a little woolly and high-falutin' in parts...

Social mobility (good modern phrase!).  The two Carver strands seem almost chalk and cheese, right down the centuries.

The Cambridgeshire Carvers by the 18th and 19th centuries are the pillars of South Cambridgeshire society, becoming doctors, surgeons, lawyers, adminstrators.  Carvers here are marrying into the top strata of Melbourn society in the Fordhams (owners of the local Bank) and the Beaumonts (landed gentry who owned most of Whaddon) and the Danseys (reported in Gentleman's Magazine).  This doesn't happen overnight in these times, it usually takes many generations to achieve such social status. 

The Bedfordshire Carvers on the other hand, are typically agricultural labourers, straw plaiters or tradesmen, such as our wheelwrighters.   Us lot, (I'm almost tugging my forelock as I speak here), we end up in the workhouse or the asylum and not in the Society Gossip columns of the day.   When we look through the Carvers of the 16th-19th centuries, there is an infinitesimally small amount of social mobility going on here (the glorious exception here being the Cambridgeshire one who 'opted' for Australia).   I just can't see how the Cambridgeshire Carvers established themselves from the Bedfordshire Carvers and rose so completely in one or two generations.  I feel it far more likely to be the other way round.  In which case - what 'happened' to the Bedfordshire Carvers...?

The evidence is mounting that the Carvers gained their foothold in society in the Melbourn area through the development of dissenter/non-conformist religion.   Then, through the Rev. William Carver and William Crole Carver, they become part of the religious/educational establishment, and I am inclined to believe that the success/profitability of this religious movement coupled with the desire to spread the word, led to the move into Bedfordshire, perhaps via Northants and Hertfordshire, through the likes of Thomas Carver-Bromidge, of the religion/church and perhaps swept up/generated the Carvers there.  It would be only natural to do this through the extended family but the further you get from the centre (Melbourn), the less profitable and riskier an enterprise this becomes and the greater the probability of denudation of wealth, prestige and influence which in the long run manifests itself in descending the social ladder. 

We have as long ago as the 1590s, a Thomas Carver in Melbourn who was the 'Clerk Curate'.   This suggests two things to me, firstly that the Carvers in Melbourn were members of a religious order way before the Rev. William Carver came along.   Secondly, I assume a clerk of any description must be able to read and write, which in the 1590s would place this individual in a very small, well-educated minority - suggesting even then that the Carvers here were already well-established in society.   Surely, it would make more sense that the Melbourn Carvers of the 18th century were direct descendants of the earlier Melbourn Carvers, rather than of any Bedfordshire derivation.

It is fascinating how just when you think you might have a grip on the Carvers in this geographical area, it seems to slip away again.   We are fortunate though that we may have the answer available to us.  I know it was mooted earlier on these pages (I think by Chris) that DNA profiling amongst us might establish a link between the two Carver family strands. I don't know the ins and outs of this process, but it might well be the only way we are now going to settle this...did anything become of this suggestion, Chris?

Cheers all,

Neil.

::)