Author Topic: Adairs of Derry 1901 census?  (Read 25671 times)

Offline cbrad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Adairs of Derry 1901 census?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 09 September 08 10:20 BST (UK) »
Yes, Sorry I did mean Inniskillin not RSf (wrong soldier). I do have the Governor Rd address but it does not mean anything. I did make a link with the ancestors of the family but they did not seem to recognise my family so I tended to discount it.  The second soldier (private) you mention I have assumed to be my relative.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 09 September 08 21:44 BST (UK) »
Think that you need either church records or census (1901 or 1911) to sort this out. Census records will eventually be online at National Archives, Dublin site.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 09 September 08 21:52 BST (UK) »
Just had a thought- checked 1910 Ulster Directory and found:
William Adair, Duke St., Waterside listed under Agricultural Implement Agents, Boot & Shoe Makers, emigration Agents, Seed & Manure Merchants.
William Adair, Waterside (may be same as above) listed under Leather & Hide Merchants.
William Adair & Son, Bishop St.: Posting Establishments, Herse Proprietors.

Offline cbrad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 11 September 08 09:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you,
I will make a note of those but I get the feeling that these would have been men who were reasonably comfortably off with their own business. My grandmother grew up on a farm, was taken out of school after one year and sent to work to help the family income. We know she spent her very early years on a farm and was so hungry that she ate raw eggs!. I would imagine that her parents would be very poor agricultural workers for at least the early part of their married years, after that I am not sure. The waterside address of Clifton Rd I have from her marriage cert., was where my grandmother lived in 1912 so it could have been lodgings. I know she worked in a shirt factory before she was married in 1912.
Do you know approximately when the Dublin Archives for the census will be avilable?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 11 September 08 09:56 BST (UK) »
National Archives, Dublin is putting Antrim, Down & Kerry online in October 2008 but Co. Londonderry is further down the line:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/about/futureplans.html
However, Co. Donegal is next in the list after the above 3 and it might be worth checking that one when available since Londonderry is so close to Co. Donegal.

What is John Adair's occupation? If the family lived in the Waterside a farmer/farm lab. is less likely but perhaps the farm was at an earlier time. If so, the church records you need might not be Waterside area. Where was your grandmother born?

Offline cbrad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 11 September 08 14:10 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to trace my grandmother's birth with no success. I always understood that she was born in Londonderry but I understand that  sometimes people did not bother to register the births then . How I regret not prompting her for more information but she was not very talkative about her past as she had had a very hard life! I think the census is my best chance of finding anything by recognising the family. I do have the year of birth(+-1) of the G grandparents as I have burial details. My grandmother was born 25.05.1885.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 11 September 08 14:21 BST (UK) »
By 1885 most births would have been registered. Could she have been born outside Co. Londonderry?

Offline cbrad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 11 September 08 14:52 BST (UK) »
Not to my knowledge and there is no one I can ask who thinks differently. My grandmother was always so proud of 'coming from Derry'!  I  was shown an Annie Adair born 1875 -Derry Geneology Centre - and wondered if a mistake could have been made with a seven for an eight. Are such things possible?
Otherwise I think you must be correct and the G grandparents married elsewhere. I am guessing the marriage would be about 1883/4 as I believe my grandmother was the eldest child.
Thanks again for all your help. If I keep trying they have got to turn up somewhere!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 11 September 08 15:47 BST (UK) »
There's an Ann Jane Adair born 1885 in Co. Derry- could that be a possibility? (only have an index and no other details given)

There's also an Annie Adair m.1912 Co. Derry to William John Myers.