Author Topic: Vicar General Marriage Licence Index - advice please.  (Read 3726 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Vicar General Marriage Licence Index - advice please.
« on: Wednesday 08 October 08 13:45 BST (UK) »
As a member of Bucks FHS I've borrowed some microfiche of Vicar General Marriage Licence Indexes - mostly in the 1700s.

Having looked at it this morning on one of the local RO's readers, it's a huge index and only gives one partner's surname with a list against it of all possible surnames and dates of marriages.

I'm quite happy to work out which marriages I'm looking for (some without the bride's surname) and gradually look them all up.

However, what I'd like to know - if anyone is well informed on such things - is how I'd go about obtaining a copy of any licences that I find? I'm presuming it would be through the relevant county archives - or is it something only available through a central source?

Also, just because I find reference to a marriage licence, does it necessarily mean that the licence itself has survived, or might I be chasing rainbows!!!  ::)

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Vicar General Marriage Licence Index - advice please.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 14:32 BST (UK) »
There were four documents associated with marriage by licence; the allegation (application); the entry in the bishop's book; the bond (agreement); and the licence itself. As the original licences were generally handed to the parties concerned they will not have survived.
The records which survived in the custody of the Vicar-General's Office consisted of the marriage allegations (sworn statements in application for a licence) and a chronological calendar of licences issued. These calendars give the surnames of the couples licensed to be married. Occasionally they contain annotations and christian names. 
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 14:38 BST (UK) »
The original records of the Vicar-General are kept at Lambeth Palace Library, London.

Stan

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 14:42 BST (UK) »

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 16:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Stan - you're always so helpful.  ;D

I'm really just trying to acquire full records of my ancestors where I can, and, of course, hope that these licences may provide that little extra piece of information! Or, in your experience, do they not give much info over and above that contained on the marriage PR?  ???

I followed your link to SoG and then on to British Origins which I've never used before. I see that I can get a 72 hour subscription and that they have these licences available to download (which I'm betting will cost me extra!). So I think my best way forward is to work out what marriages I'm looking for, see if they're in the microfiche indices I've borrowed, and then go for my 72 hours!! Phew!  ;)

Thanks again,
Jill

HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 16:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill,

I've added this topic to some others on Marriage by Licence in the
RootsChat Reference Library => Lexicon (click here)
(Tip: click on a category - on the right - for related topics)

There are also some topics on Marriage Allegations there.

regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 16:40 BST (UK) »
<<I see that I can get a 72 hour subscription and that they have these licences available to download (which I'm betting will cost me extra!). >>

The Vicar General Licence Allegations from Origins are supplied by post. Unfortunately they cost £10.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 16:51 BST (UK) »
Each?!!!  :o
HELP!!!

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 16:57 BST (UK) »
'Fraid so.  I've only ever bought one, although I can see there are others I would like. That one was worth it, because the groom's signature matched an earlier one I got from the Borthwick Institute (only £5), showing it was the same chap remarrying.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk