Author Topic: Photo's, Stories etc of Gray/Smith/Elliott family Romany's  (Read 12425 times)

Offline Debulah

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Photo's, Stories etc of Gray/Smith/Elliott family Romany's
« on: Sunday 05 July 09 19:27 BST (UK) »
I am looking to put as many faces as possible to the names I have discovered in my family tree. Does anyone know of any reputable ways of finding such a thing?
Thanks

Offline CitizenSmith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Photo's, Stories etc of Gray/Smith/Elliott family Romany's
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 July 09 08:54 BST (UK) »
Hi

Have you tried the Gypsy Collections at the University of Liverpool? They hold a massive collection of 19th and 20th century photos of British Gypsy families, available for copying for a fee. I've had Smith photos from them and am sure they will have Grays also.

Also, An65 on this list is a Gray/Smith/Elliott researcher and has some family photos on her site: www.geocities.com/seraphim_angel_2002/Gypsyindex.html

Best wishes

Sharon
Smith - East Anglia & Lancashire
Taylor - East Anglia
Draper
Hope
Shaw
Gray
Boswell
Lovell
Robinson
Chilcott
All Blackpool Gypsies
"Royal Epping Forest Gypsies": ball-giving group
"Borrow's Gypsies": the people that the novelist George Borrow (1803-1881) knew and wrote about

Offline Debulah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 July 09 21:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Sharon, yes have been in touch with An65... who is a relative of mine. Think I have come across her photo's, but the link was broken, so was unaware that they were her posting's.
Thank you once again
Debulah

Offline beverlybev12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 July 09 21:45 BST (UK) »
i have only recently got into this family tree search and what an headache ???when i started tracing back through my grandads side his name was kenneth gray born in 1921 his fathers name was charles henry gray born around 1886.this is where it gets complicated,charles henry gray was married to my great grandmother who was named harriet born around1886 her maiden name was smith ,and this is when i realised what i was letting myself in for   ??? i discovered that charles henry grays parents were called henry gray and sarah a moore pleaseeeeeeee is  there anyone out there who knows their way around all this i have some very beautiful old portraits that my grandad gave me before he passed away of his grandparents that maybe someone else knows i,d love to hear from you

Offline Debulah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 July 09 11:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Bev
I'm fairly new to this, but have already, with the help of some really lovely people also researching this name, found connections to my great grandad - back to my 4X's great grandad.
Contact - look at, the postings by AN65 and Chepz on this site. An65 has been a fantastic help to me. I am presently on my hols at the moment, but will contact you again when I look at my own tree and see where we might be connected.
Deb

Offline Debulah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 July 09 11:39 BST (UK) »
http://www.geocities.com/seraphim_angel_2002/Gypsyphotos.html

Bev, above is a link to all the wealth of information  Ann has developed. Please take a look, you will find it as fascinating as I did, just press the 'back' button at the bottom of the page and it will open up family trees, census and much much more.
Deb

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 August 09 19:24 BST (UK) »
Totally shattered as I write - been on hols and come back to chaos at work, having v recently changed from part time to full time job - pls bear with me on that one.

have fotos if anyone wants due to recent hols:

Cropwell Bishop (birthplace of Tabitha Smith)

Kyme (including several Gray gravestones)

Billingborough church

And of course me own Gray family....... desc from Christopher Gray and Maria Smith.

Offline beverlybev12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 August 09 13:23 BST (UK) »
would love to see some of your photos  not sure where my ancesters fit in yet still looking at henry gray and sarah moore but am really grateful for all the help  ;)

Offline Debulah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 August 09 17:54 BST (UK) »
Hi An,
Hope you had a wonderful holiday, just got back from one myself. I would really love to see your pic's, was just looking at a map of lincolnshire whilst on holiday and working out routes etc relatives would have travelled, strange to think I once lived at Waddington, and was 'Brown Owl' to the brownie pack at Navenby - the birtharea of quite a number of our combined relatives.
Will be taking my dad over to North Kyme at some point to look at the many graves of relatives there, and possible over to 'horncastle' to see the grave of great grandma X's Mary Brown.
Speak to you again soon
Deb