Author Topic: Newbiggin?  (Read 12680 times)

Offline castana1985

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Newbiggin?
« on: Wednesday 15 July 09 23:51 BST (UK) »
I am looking for my husbands gt. grandfather.

John Seymour b. 4 Aug 1885 in Newbiggin (Cumberland), Northumbria.

All we know is his father was called John and he married a Mary Jane Ashworth in Failsworth, Manchester on 6 Feb 1913. He served in WW1 and I have his short service record from Ancestry.

What I can't find.. is any census records of him in 1891 or 1901?
I have access to 1911, but haven't looked for him yet.

Can anybody find him??

Seymour: Swain: Nolan: Hague: Minshull: Evans: Jones: Roberts: Bailey: Oldham: Thorpe: Ashton: Short: Ollier: Edwards: Sharples: Fish: Johnson: Leech: Woodlington: Hatcher: Richardson: Young: Hadfield: Sidall: Stafford: Wild: Manchip: Hopkins: Holt: Howarth

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Newbiggin?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 July 09 00:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

Where did you get the info from re: his birthplace?  Morpeth was the registration district for Newbiggin and there is no birth for a John Seymour between 1883-1887

There are only 2 John Seymour births in Northumberland in that period - both Newcastle on Tyne and neither fits with a birth in August 1885

and he married a Mary Jane Ashworth

Do you mean Mary J Sidlow?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline castana1985

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 July 09 00:07 BST (UK) »
His birth town etc was from his war records - but it was a bit confusing as it gave Newbiggin, Northumberland in one place - and Newbiggin, Cumberland in another??
So not sure if there is another Newbiggin?

On his wedding cert it gave us the name of his father - John.
Both John and his father were 'colliers' - so again, I'm assuming John was born somewhere where mining was taking place??

I've tried looking for a family with the two John's (father and son)... but can't find any to tie in?

Any ideas would be most welcome!

And yes, he did marry Mary J Sidlow... nee Ashworth!
Seymour: Swain: Nolan: Hague: Minshull: Evans: Jones: Roberts: Bailey: Oldham: Thorpe: Ashton: Short: Ollier: Edwards: Sharples: Fish: Johnson: Leech: Woodlington: Hatcher: Richardson: Young: Hadfield: Sidall: Stafford: Wild: Manchip: Hopkins: Holt: Howarth

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 July 09 00:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

Apart from the two that you've mentioned, there's also a Newbiggin in Teeside/North Yorks.  It's likely to be the Northumberland one if it's a coal mining area.

Not found a suitable John on the 1891 yet, though  :-\

Gadget
Moderator Comment:  Topic locked.  Please reply on http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,392775.0/topicseen.html    to avoid further confusion
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline castana1985

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Newbiggin .. is it in Durham or Northumberland?
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 July 09 17:37 BST (UK) »
This is a link to another post I started in the Northumberland area...
Not sure whether I'm looking for Newbiggin in Durham or Nothumberland.. but if anyone has any ideas.. please let me know!

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,392680.0.html

Thank you.

Offline castana1985

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Newbiggin .. is it in Durham or Northumberland?
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 July 09 20:12 BST (UK) »
Gosh Stan, that's more confusing than ever! ???

On John's war record it says Newbiggin, Northumberland?? So which one?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 July 09 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Castana  :)

I thought that you said that on the service record it said Northumberland and also Cumberland. I think I mentioned there that there was one near Stockton as well - so that makes three  :-\

I had a quick look for the service record but wasn't sure if I'd got the right one - have you got a link so that we can study it, please.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline castana1985

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 July 09 22:15 BST (UK) »