Author Topic: Baptism/Census help!! - Belinda (Nappy) KING  (Read 5460 times)

Offline Phitzy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baptism/Census help!! - Belinda (Nappy) KING
« on: Friday 07 May 10 06:15 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am hoping that someone may shed some light on where to go next in my search for my GG Grandmother Belinda (Nappy) King.  I know most of what happened to her once she reached Tasmania but nothing of her life prior.  I have found her conviction and sentencing on the Grangegorman Prison Register.

Conviction: 10 Apr 1849, County Galway, Ireland. Sentenced to 7 years transportation for "killing
sheep with intent to steal same".
Tried and convicted with her sister Catherine "Kitty" King.
Transported to Tasmania on the Australiasia with her son "Izod Darcy King" aged 6 months and her
sister Kitty.

She is listed on the prison register as 20 at the time of her conviction but on the Australasia's Ships Prisoner Log she is listed as 26 so that would make her birth date somewhere between 1820 and 1830. (1823/1829).

As she was tried in County Galway does that mean it was likely she was born in County Galway?

Any suggestions on where to look next - I would love to find out more about her.

Thanks in advance
- Helen (South Australia)
CLARIDGE, DENEHEY, POW

Offline chrissyst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism/Census help!! - Belinda (Nappy) KING
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 01:44 BST (UK) »
Hi
I saw your post of Roots Chat regarding Belinda (Nappy) King

I am distantly related to this Convict

I see you say you have all the information on her on her life in Tasmania...
but I just thought I would write what I know and y ou may find bits and pieces to add to it.
Nappy King appeared at Hobart Police Court on 27 March 1851 charged with absence3 without leave from the service of George H Anderson of Elizabeth St Hobart.  In her defence she stated 'I left becaue my mistress abused me' Nappy was remanded and appeared at court again the next day when her mistress Janet Anderson gave the following statement.
  On the morning of the 27th instant the prisoner now present left my service without leave.  If she has stated that I abused her and called her names it is totally false, I did not abuse her or call her names.
The magistrate passed sentence of three months hard labour at Cascades Female Factory noting that 'sentence is passed on her in consequences of her having falsely stated her mistress abused her and called her names'.
I have a list of the convicts on the Australiasia.
Nappy king is listed with 1 child Izod Darcy (Hyson) King (6m).

Nappy King's son Izod Darcy King, was noted as blind upon arrival, so ophthalmia may have been the cause of his blindness.
DYNNYRNE NURSERY
On arrival in Van Diemens land the infant children of the Australasia convicts were removed directly to this nursery. On Nappy Kings conduct record Anson was initially recorded as station of gang, but later crossed out.  she probably went to Dynnyrne initially as her son Izod was only 6 months old. 
Nappy King died at the New Norfolk Insane Asylum and suffered from schizophrenia.  She was recommended to be admitted from Ulverstone on 12.5.1882, and was admitted one week later.  She was considered to be a person of nsound mind wandering at large and not under proper care or control  Nappy was married at the time, but was not living with her husband and so was destitute.  It is not known how long Nappy had been separated from her husband William Pow, but she had been of unsound mind for eight years.  Relatives were her third son John Pow of Leven and her daughter Elizabeth Claridge of Penguin.  Nappy had served a sentence for assault and 'been known to throw fire about her room to expel spetres'  Nots n Nappys medical certificate by Dr Charles Rooke for admission to the asylum included the Hallucinations and delusions.  Complains of being bruised from head to foot by people.  On examination no marks upon her body indicating bruises.  Stated that Queen Anne is her grandmother and that the Crown belongs to her. and so on

I can fill you in if you contact me.

I have some details on William Pow

regards

chrissy

Offline chrissyst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 01:52 BST (UK) »
Hi sorry

I have Nappy King born 1823 Dublin Ireland

Died 14.10.1890 Norfolk Insane Asylum Hobart Tasmania aged 67 years as a pauper
Buried 17.10.1890 North Circle Cemetery New Norfolk Compartment B
Died of Pericarditis

my notes in my family history files are as follows

Surgeon's Journal of Her Majesty's Female Convict Ship Australasia
Mr Alexander KILROY, Surgeon
21 June 1849 from Dublin –Arrived 29 September 1849 Hobart
ADM 101/6 (Reel 3189)
Copy of the sick list of the Australasia Female Convict Ship from June to October 1849
When Put On Sick list - August 1 1849
Name - Nappy King
Age - 30
Quality - Convict
Disease or Hurt- Dysentery
When Put Off Sick List- August 7
How Disposed of  - Cured

When Put on Sick List - Sept 9
Name - Nappy King
Age - 30
Quality - Convict
Disease or Hurt - scorbutus
When Put off Sick List - Sept 28
How disposed of - cured

GENERAL REMARKS
When the Convicts were embarked at Kingstown, they seemed to be in excellent health,
although in reality they were not so, for most of them had suffered from insufficient and bad food before their conviction and in Grange Gorman Depot had been fed a good deal on Bread and Milk which gave them a healthy appearance, but very soon after the change from that diet to the salt provisions of the ship they suffered considerably in health, labouring under obstipation with indigestion and gastric irritation. This change was felt the more suddenly from the want of the usual supply of potatoes which are generally given to fresh convict ships and which could not be procured at the time the Australasia sailed form Kingstown.
The convicts remained in pretty good health until we got into cold and damp weather, after passing the Cape of Good Hope, when dysentery became prevalent amongst them.
The name Nappy. It was the name she was known by and referred to in her convict records. It may have been a nickname for Belinda because she was sometimes referred to as Belinda, when she was buried in 1890 Belinda was given as an alternative name.

Convict Record

24 May 1849 - received at Grangegorman Depot, Dublin at 10.30am with son Izod.
1 August 1849- put on 'Australasia' sick list for dysentery (off 7 August, cured)
9 September 1849- put on 'Australasia' sick list for scorbutus (off 28 September, cured)
1 January 1851- contracted as PPH to Mary  A Gormley, Murray St, Hobart, 12m at 7 pounds pa.
22 February 1851- contracted as PPH to James Hurburgh, passage Point, 12m at 7 pounds per annum.
28 March 1851- tried at Hobart PC, brought up from 27 March on remand for attendance of her mistress, charged with absence without leave from the service of George H. Anderson, Elizabeth St., Hobart on the morning of 27 March, having surrendered at the Chief Station house & been absent about 1/4 of an hour; pleaded guilty stating, 'I left because my mistress abused me'; sentence 3m HL, Cascades Female Factory.

14 April, 1851- charged at Cascades FF with disobedience of regulations; sentence 2d SC & 14 d separate treatment.
19 April 1851- charged at Cascades FF, brought up from 16 April for the Visiting Magistrate, with disorderly conduct in SC in talking & singing; sentence 7d SC.
30 September 1851 absconded from the service of Mrs Emma J Langley, Campbell St., Hobart.
16 October 1851- Tried at Hobart PC charged with absence without leave from the service of Mrs Emma J Langley, Campbell St, Hobart from 30 September until apprehended on 15 October in Davey St, Hobart; sentence 7m HL, Cascades FF, recommended to be hired in the interior north of Oatlands.

28 October 1851- charged at Cascades FF with not having her apartment clean; sentence 2d bread & water.

8 December 1851- Son Izod Darcy King, 3y 6m, admitted to Infants School, Queen's Orphanage, New Town.

25 March 1852- to Brickfield hiring depot, Hobart.

6 April 1852- to Launceston FF.

10 April 1852- to John Hard man Evandale

24 April 1852- to Launceston FF

30 April 1852- Contracted as PPH to George Byworth, Pattersons Plains, 12m at 9 pounds pa.

20 September 1852- to Launceston FF.
23 September 1852- to William K Hawkes, Franklin Village
20 January 1853- to Launceston FF.
1 February 1853- Ticket-of-Leave granted.
15 April 1853- Illegitimate son Andrew King born at Launceston; father James Howard; baptised 1 May 1853 at St Joseph's RC Church, Launceston; sponsors William Leeson & Catherine King (aka Kitty King, qv).
19 July 1853- Application for permission to marry William Pow (ex Mayda) withdrawn 20 July, -withdrawn 11 January 1854, cancelled (approved 27 July)
c1853- formed a de facto relationship with William Pow
18 October 1853- recommended for conditional Pardon.
29 August 1854- Conditional Pardon approved (issued at Launceston 26 September)
10 April 1856 -Free by Servitude
c1875- Son John Pow married Charlotte Stone
19 May 1882 - to New Norfolk Insane Asylum for dementia, 59y, laundress, pensioner

WILLIAM POW HER HUSBAND

POW William (Mayda)
Mayda had one voyage only as a convict ship departing Woolwich on 29.8.1845 arriving Norfolk Island 8.1.1846
Total number landed 195 (4 died onboard)

1858 William Pow owner in fee of land (10 acres) at Gawler River East, resident at Alfred H. Poole's house, Gawler River.

regards

Offline ivyleaf11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 July 10 13:14 BST (UK) »
I was interested to read about Belinda (Nappy).  My Grandmother was (Harriet Jane Cox) nee Claridge. Her father was Thomas North who married Elizabeth Pow.  The family didnot talk much about the past generations, so you have me
interested in filling in the gaps.

Offline chrissystewart1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 July 10 15:33 BST (UK) »
 :)
Hello

I would be happy to help you in anyway

let me know what type of info your looking for .

eg ...voyage
ship
etc

chrissy

Offline ivyleaf11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 July 10 01:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you Crissy,
  I will be in touch when I have gone through what fmaily history I have.
Barbara