Author Topic: BBC TV "WDYTYA?" Series 8 Episode #3: Dervla Kirwan  (Read 42462 times)

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BBC TV "WDYTYA?" Series 8 Episode #3: Dervla Kirwan
« on: Monday 02 August 10 22:10 BST (UK) »
Sorry if there is already a thread - I couldn't find it.  What a lovely woman and a thoroughly enjoyable programme.  I felt she showed real feelings without 'going over the top' as some others have done.  And such an improvement on last weeks effort,
Abiam2
Moderator please move if necessary

Offline alyson123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: WDYTYA Dervla
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 August 10 22:13 BST (UK) »
Yup! agree with you entirely Abiam2 ..... I thoroughly enjoyed this episode.
Hope next week's offering is as good.
Alyson123
Lea/Lee ........Gnosall, Armitage Hednesford Kings Bromley,  Hednesford, Staffordshire.
Richardson..... Hanbury, Hednesford, Checkley Marchington .....Staffordshire
Corbett ....... Dawley, Wellington, Madeley......Shropshire, Willenhall & Hednesford,Staffs
Pyle/Pile ........Hensingham, Workington, Whitehaven, Cumberland
Pyle/Pile....... Newcastlle on Tyne, County Durham & Northumberland
Doran ...... Whitehaven, Cumberland and Ireland
Savage ........ County Down, Killough and Belfast, Irela

Offline jubee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 August 10 22:14 BST (UK) »
I agree a wonderful episode  :)
Dervla's likeness to her maternal grandmother was incredible. My initial thoughts were that it would just be her Irish ancestry but the programme was well balanced.
This series is turning out to be really enjoyable despite the relative easy with which information and documents are found  ;D

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 August 10 22:15 BST (UK) »
It is awful that such shameful treatment  of Henry broke him
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 August 10 22:15 BST (UK) »
good episode ...interesting on both side of the family

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 August 10 22:26 BST (UK) »
found Henry and Mrs Marx in Thom's 1904 :

Henry Kahn, 87 Capel St, tobacco and snuff manuf. and dealer
   res. 18 Belividere Rd (near Dorset St, Dublin North)

Mrs. Marks, 1 Aston Quay, dealer in antiques

I'd love to know if he really did damage that shop, and if so why ?

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 August 10 22:40 BST (UK) »
What I think I saw, on the admission details of her g.grandfather to the asylum, was that his religion was given as Roman Catholic, so maybe he did take his wife's religion after all.  I also wondered do Irish death certificates not show the cause of death?  If so, Dervla would have known what he died of.

However, that recorder should have been struck off, although I guess at 73 he'd already caused unnecessary hardship to a great number of people.

Just shows how stiff sentences were in those days, even allowing for the fact that he was obviously given a longer sentence because of his race, but 12 months for throwing a brick at a window and breaking nick-nacks inside the window is astounding.  Oddly, from the name Mrs Marks, it seems the window owner was also Jewish.

Offline Marmaduke 123

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 August 10 22:45 BST (UK) »
Well, I thought this was an awful episode, especially the first half about the Irish troubles. I wasn't at all interested in it, and thought it had little to do with researching family history.

The second half was rather more interesting, although I wish the comment that the couple were "living together" before their marriage, on the grounds that they gave the same address, had been challenged. This seems to have been a common way of avoiding the expense of a marriage by licence rather than banns if the couple actually lived in different parishes. It was a kind of accommodation address, and I've got several examples of my own as I'm sure other people have.

Anne
Halifax/Huddersfield area West Yorkshire
Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire, Berkshire and nearby areas.
Bilcliffe one name study all areas.

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 August 10 22:51 BST (UK) »
Well, I thought this was an awful episode, especially the first half about the Irish troubles. I wasn't at all interested in it, and thought it had little to do with researching family history.

It may not have been to your personal interest, fair enough, but if you had family involved then how on earth is it not family history?  ::)
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals