Author Topic: Ulverscroft or Quorndon Parishes (?) - BELCHER - *COMPLETED*  (Read 13032 times)

Offline Tambrisha

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ulverscroft or Quorndon Parishes (?) - BELCHER - *COMPLETED*
« on: Sunday 15 August 10 01:09 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have a couple of requests pertaining to this family.  Unfortunately, I am not 100% certain regarding where the information would be located and were I not an ocean away, I would happily dig through all possibilities myself.  Therefore, I am extremely grateful to all the kind people who undertake looking up this information for strangers who share a genealogical interest.

BELCHER, Samuel:  I am trying to find a marriage record for Samuel, but I have been unable to find even a first name for his wife.  Samuel was baptized on August 6, 1808 in Ulverscroft.  He had a daughter, Amelia, who was born about 1830.  The 1841 England Census shows them living in Ulverscroft, but without a wife/mother.  So, perhaps there may be a record of death/burial for a female Belcher; possibly around 1830 if she died giving birth to Amelia.

BELCHER, John:  Samuel’s father.  I am trying to discover the names of his parents, and a birth and death record for this individual.  I believe he was born in approximately 1776, but I do not have an exact village, my records only indicate Leicestershire.  I suspect he would have been born in Ulverscroft, as I found a marriage record (to Sarah Parkinson in 1798) for him in Quorndon, Leicestershire that states he was a farmer from Ulverscroft.  He and Sarah apparently had four children – Sarah (b. 1804); Thomas (b. 1806); Samuel (above); and, Edward (b. 1810).

If anyone can find information on either of these individuals and their families, I would very much appreciate it.

Thank you!
Tam

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ulverscroft or Quorndon Parishes (?) - BELCHER
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 August 10 13:27 BST (UK) »
I will be happy to check up on this family in the Loughborough library where all local PR records are held. i go away thur - mon but might get in before then - if not next week.

Diddy   ;D
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 August 10 13:28 BST (UK) »
AND - a very warm welcome to RC & the Leics board!!

Diddy  ;D
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 August 10 13:54 BST (UK) »
Tam, i have just checked the Family search records search site:

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=home

and they have some more children for John & Sarah Belcher. all Ulverscroft on Non- conformist records;  full list:

John  11/1/1801
Sarah  13/4/1802
William  13/4 1802
Sarah  19/1/1804
Thomas  28/2/1806
Samuel  6/8/1808
James  6/8/1808
Edward  24/10/1810
Ann  18/12/1815
Joseph  14/6/1821

ther is also a listing for Wiiliam in ulverscroft on hte 1861 census as a farmer.

Diddy  ;D

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 August 10 14:00 BST (UK) »
records also show:

Samuel Belcher = Ann Bagley
13/10/1833  All Saints, Loughborough

I can check this in the library see if any relatives names given /witnesses
would mean Amelia might be after 1833?

Diddy

Offline Tambrisha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 August 10 16:13 BST (UK) »
Diddy,

This is all fantastic!  :-)  Thank you so very much.

The question of Samuel's wife's name has been particularly frustrating, so this is a great piece of information to go on.  Can you possibly research the question of Amelia's date of birth and/or christening date?  Amelia does appear in the 1841 census as 11 years old, living with her father at John and Sarah Belcher's home.  Of course, people were hardly as picky about exact ages and birth dates back then.

Thanks again, Diddy!  I very much appreciate all you have done!

Tam

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 August 10 20:51 BST (UK) »
I did see the 1841 for Amelia and have looked all around for a bap but nothing so far.

the 1841 census ages were not exact - they rounded everyone 15 or over down:

Age and sex of each person, males were in one column, females in a separate column. Ages up to 15 are listed exactly as reported/recorded but ages over 15 were rounded to the nearest 5 years (rounded down). So, a person aged 63 would be listed on the census as age 60 years. Someone aged 69 would be recorded as 65 years

as Amelia is listed as 11 this means she was probably very close to that age (dependent on birthday!) this of course would make her bap 1830 /1 - too early for that marriage of Samuel & Ann.  the census record I have seen is very unclear but i might get to see a better copy at the library.

i hope to find something in the library prob Tuesday. the other factor is that the baps for John/Sarahs children were non-conformist - maybe samuels were too.

Diddy

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 August 10 20:58 BST (UK) »
just had another look at that census and magnified it:

there are a lot of Belchers listed together; those i can make out following on from one another:

John Belcher  40
Ann Belcher  50
#
? belcher 70
Sarah belcher 70
William Belcher 10
John Belcher 65
Sarah belcher 65
samuel belcher     30
Amelia belcher 11
John ?  13
William 15

these will all be related  - roll on tuesday!!
Diddy

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 August 10 21:06 BST (UK) »
Tam, if you check the family record site i gave there are loads of other records -Belcher / Leics that are prob related - children of John /sarah marrying - their children.

Diddy