Author Topic: Pheno's Scavenger Hunt... Everyone Welcome To Join In  (Read 8404 times)

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
Pheno's Scavenger Hunt... Everyone Welcome To Join In
« on: Tuesday 16 August 11 09:51 BST (UK) »

Welcome to this weeks Scavenger Hunt and we have a change of scenery here.  We're in Cambridgeshire.

Good Luck and Good Hunting

Barbara

HOLLAND Information I already have

Parish records for Bassingbourn (including the chapelry of Kneesworth) Cambridgeshire:
Marriages:
1802 Oct 13 HOLLAND James widower and Alice THURLEY (x her mark)   spinster both of this parish   Witness: James Jacklin (x)
Baptisms:
1808 Nov 13  HOLLAND, Thomas son of James & Alice aged 5yrs 3mnths
      HOLLAND, Jacob son of James & Alice aged 3yrs 6mnths
      HOLLAND, Elizabeth dau. of James & Alice aged 9mnths
1811 Jun 9   HOLLAND, James son of James & Alice   
1813 Aug 1    HOLLAND, Edward son of James & Alice
1822 Dec 29   HOLLAND, William son of Henry & Jane of Kneesworth, labourer
1824 Dec 26   HOLLAND, Susannah dau. of Henry & Jane of Kneesworth, labourer
1829 Oct 18   HOLLAND, Ann dau. of Henry & Elizabeth of Kneesworth, labourer
1838 Feb 12   WATSON, Charles son of Charles WATSON of Barkway, blacksmith and Elizabeth HOLLAND of Kneesworth

Parish records for Wicken Bonhunt (Bonant), Essex
Marriages:

1775 Sep 21 HOLLAND James and Elizabeth BAYLEY
1826 Nov 4   HOLLAND Jacob and Lydia HAMMOND

Baptisms:

1675 Feb 14   HOLLAND, Maria daughter of Nicholas & Maria
1776 Jun 16   HOLLAND, Sarah daughter of James & Elizabeth
1778 Dec 25   HOLLAND, James son of James & Elizabeth
1785 Apr 17   HOLLAND, Henry son of James & Elizabeth
1790 Dec 5   HOLLAND, Thomas son of James & Elizabeth
1817 Mar 30   HOLLAND, Alice dau. of James & Alice

Parish Records for Guilden Morden, Cambridgeshire
Marriages:
1811 Nov 30 HOLLAND, Henry and Jane COVENTON
Baptisms:
1813 Jun 1   HOLLEN, Samuel son of Henry & Jane
1816 Nov 17   HOLLAND, Elizabeth dau. of Henry & Jane
1819 Feb 25   HOLLAND, Mary dau of Henry & Jane

Help Required

I would dearly love to prove that the James marrying Alice Thurley in Bassingbourn 1802 is the James Holland, baptised Wicken 1778 son of James Holland and Elizabeth Bayley.  It would also be good if some sort of connection could be established between James Holland/Elizabeth Bayley and the Nicholas and Maria Holland baptising daughter Maria in Wicken some 100 years earlier. 

From the above info we can deduce that James Holland arrives in Bassingbourn as a widower and marries Alice Thurley.  James & Alice baptise 5 children in Bassingbourn between 1808 & 1813 and then the family move to Wicken Bonhunt where they baptise a final child Alice in 1817.  The Holland dynasty then continues in Wicken/Clavering/Arkesden for another 100 years following the marriage of Jacob Holland (he that was baptised in Bassingbourn in 1808) and Lydia Hammond.

It seems likely that the Henry Holland who marries Jane Coventon in Guilden Morden (only 4 miles from Bassingbourn) and who baptises children in Guilden Morden from 1813 – 1819 is the same Henry and Jane who then baptise children in Bassingbourn from 1822 onwards and could be the Henry baptised 1785 in Wicken Bonhunt, son of James & Elizabeth and brother to James above.

I need help searching for a female Holland burial in Bassingbourn in the period 1795 to 1802 who could have been James’ former wife (perhaps with an infant being buried at around the same time if she died in child-bed).  I also need to ascertain that there are no James Holland burials in Wicken Bonhunt between 1778 and 1802 to eliminate him from dying early and therefore not being the James who married Alice Thurley in Bassingbourn in 1802. 

I suppose an outside supposition is that the widower James Holland who marries Alice Thurley in Bassingbourn in 1802 is not in fact the James son of James bapt 1778 but actually the father James who married Elizabeth Bayley in 1775.  If he was born c. 1750 and if Elizabeth died prior to 1802 then he could have remarried at aged 50ish and established another family
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Pheno's Scavenger Hunt... Everyone Welcome To Join In
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 09:59 BST (UK) »
Hi there from NSW Australia

Possibility re elusive connections  online ebook  re Cambridgeshire

http://www.free-books-online.info/

CAMBRIDGESHIRE
Cambridgeshire Parish Registers, Volume 1.
 Fen Drayton 1580-1812, Knapwell 1598-1812, St. Edward's Cambridge 1559-1835
Cambridgeshire Parish Registers, Volume 2.
 Conington 1538-1812, Lolworth 1567-1810, Over 1577-1812,
 St. Sepulchre's Cambridge 1569-1812, Swavesey 1599-1813
Cambridgeshire Parish Registers, Volume 3.
 Boxworth 1588-1812, Caldecot 1604-1809,Dry Drayton 1565-1812,
 Girton 1599-1811, Long Stanton 1599-1812, ong Stanton St. Michael 1563-1804,
 Madingley 1539-1812, Oakington 1561-1812, St. Botolph's Cambridge 1564-1812, Toft 1539-1804
Cambridgeshire Parish Registers, Volume 4.
 All Saints Cambridge 1539-1837, Croxton 1538-1837, Elsworth 1529-1837, Eltisley 1599-1836,
 Graveley 1599-1836, Papworth Everard 1565-1836, Papworth St. Agnes 1558-1834,
Cambridgeshire Parish Registers, Volume 5.
 Histon 1599-1837, Impington 1562-1833, St Peters 1586-1758,
 St. Andrew-the-Great 1600-1837,
Cambridgeshire Parish Registers, Volume 6.
 Milton 1599-1837, St. Giles Cambridge 1599-1837, Willingham 1559-1837,
Cambridgeshire Parish Registers, Volume 7.
 Chesterton 1564-1837, St. Andrew the Less Cambridge 1599-1837,
 St. Benedicts Cambridge 1539-1837,
Cambridgeshire Parish Registers, Volume 8.
 St. Clements 1560-1837, St. Mary the Great 1559-1837,
 St. Mary the Less 1558-1837, St. Clements 1560-1837,

Fingers crossed 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 10:05 BST (UK) »
And there's this one too

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0eng/

In fact, many/most/all of Phillimores Parish Registers for Cambridgeshire seem to have been turned into ebooks in 2010 via the Allen County Public Library's Genealogy Center (guessing by the spelling of that Centre that it is US based ...

Cheers,  JM   WOT's going on, am I  first to post a reply ....  :-X

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 10:07 BST (UK) »

Blimey......... you're quick off the mark JM       ;D
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 10:20 BST (UK) »
 ;D   my Cambridgeshire lot were Fenlanders but they moved out and went to Lancashire late 1850s, married Lancs (but of course)  and then from there they got themselves to NZ in 1870s and then to NSW Aust in 1880s  I am not sure I can be of much help from here in NSWland  ::)

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 10:23 BST (UK) »
So we need to find a burial for James Holland to work out how old he was when he married Alice.

He appears to have been alive in 1813 when his last child was baptised and by then most PRs give an age on burial.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 10:30 BST (UK) »
‘I need help searching for a female Holland burial in Bassingbourn in the period 1795 to 1802 who could have been James’ former wife’Why these years ?
are there no record of James Hollands in Bassingbourn pre marriage to Alice Thurley ?
are there previous baptisms to James Holland (with / without a mothers name mentioned) that could be children belonging to James who then married Alice Thurley?
It is not impossible that James marrying Alice Thurley could be the one who married Elizabeth Bayley have you found a burial for Elizabeth ?
Have you a burial for James who married either Elizabeth or Alice and do any of the burials you have give an age.

I really only have access to internet records (outside Sussex) so if you haven’t managed to find them on there I doubt I will be able to!
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 10:34 BST (UK) »
Jaywit from first post :
Parish records for Wicken Bonhunt (Bonant), Essex

Baptisms:
1817 Mar 30   HOLLAND, Alice dau. of James & Alice

so I would say he was alive up to 1817 and maybe after that it would depend on whether Alice was of childbearing age  as to whether they had more children
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 10:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Toni, you got in there whilst I was confirming my details and you are correct in that James and Alice were both apparently alive in 1817 when their youngest daughter Alice was baptised in Wicken.  I can't find either on the 1841 census so assume that they both died in Wicken between 1817 and 1841.

I do have an extracted Holland burial list for Wicken that someone local undertook for me ages ago but it only starts at 1841.  I don't know whether this is because the burials only start then or possibly are only legible from then as the births start from 1817 and the marriages start in 1775.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire