Author Topic: irish immigrants in slamannan  (Read 2091 times)

Offline MARYS1995

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
irish immigrants in slamannan
« on: Monday 17 September 12 18:39 BST (UK) »
hi,
am i right in thinking that in the 1880s there was a lot of irish settling in slamannan,my 3xgr/parents had 5 children,and i have found all but 1 of them living in slamannan,would this be because of the famine?
thanks mary
stewarts and mcgregors,gibsons,perthshire,mcintosh denny area.thomsons bannockburn,kerr,stevenson,thomsons and mooney ireland

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: irish immigrants in slamannan
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 September 12 18:58 BST (UK) »
There had been a population explosion in Ireland with the population rising from 3million to 8 million in 100 years. There just weren’t the jobs for that number of people. Ireland has few natural resources eg coal, iron ore etc and so didn’t benefit from the Industrial Revolution the way Scotland and England and elsewhere did. Apart from farming and linen in Ulster, there were few new jobs, whereas there was a huge demand for workers in Scotland. The famine (the worst of which was 30 years before the 1880s) was a factor in the decision to migrate but most would have had to leave anyway.

Scotland was very popular because it was easy to get to and you could go home for weddings and funerals and send your young children back to stay with the grandparents (leaving the wife free to work). Not so easy to do from the US or Australia.
Elwyn

Offline MARYS1995

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 September 12 19:23 BST (UK) »
thank you,that explains a lot,looking at the info i have,there was a lot of comings and goings but, i couldn't understand why  :)
regards mary
stewarts and mcgregors,gibsons,perthshire,mcintosh denny area.thomsons bannockburn,kerr,stevenson,thomsons and mooney ireland

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 September 12 22:46 BST (UK) »
Mary, Slamannan had many coal & ironstone pits, a woolenmill and as I've seen bricks with Slamannan on them, bricks.

Skoosh.

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 September 12 23:47 BST (UK) »
Mary,
          My own Irish families lived and worked in Slamannan, Limerigg, Avonbridge
Westfield, Etc.  Coal Mines were the main attraction because of the house (Hovel) that
came with the job.

Check out Tom Patersons web Site if you have not done so already, its a bit hard to
navigate, but just click on everything.

http://tompaterson.co.uk/

James.

Offline MARYS1995

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 November 12 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks skoosh and james,
sorry to have taken so long to thank you,i was working on my maternal side.
i'm just going to check out tom patersons link,
thanks again
mary  :)