Author Topic: Dobson / cox family  (Read 9730 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Dobson / cox family
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 07 July 13 05:48 BST (UK) »
DOBSON-COX - June 6, by the Rev. Dr. Fullerton, Kingsmill John Dobson to Amy Rebecca Cox.

Well spotted Ros  :)

Dr Fullerton ..... oh deary me.   I think it could be a tad difficult to find ALL the required details for that 1880 NSW registered marriage.   You see, Dr Fullerton is known NOT to have recorded all the details the CIVIL authorities required on his parish register.

Fingers crossed that on this occasion HE DID record the full details as to the bride's parents, the bride's place of birth, the bride's age, the bride's status (spinster/widow/divorcee).  Fingers crossed that the NSW BDM  reconciled their ledgers with ALL the extant church registers available in 1912-1915.   

PS, I agree with Sue re COSE and COX .... I have been transcribing longhand for many years  ;D

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Leanne.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 07 July 13 06:05 BST (UK) »
So Originally I seen the record of Kingsmill John Dobson marrying Rebecca Cose.
I thought that was it, it was until I started finding some newspaper articles that gave me some info, I started to investigate further.

I don't rely on Public trees as sources, I do view them and see what info they have to offer but I always like to have proof, and original records if possible.

The article I have attached was the first thing I found that made me question, it cause I had Rebecca Cose on my record and this says Cox
Researching Whitby from England & Australia, Taylor from Scotland & Australia, Norman/Normand from France & Australia. Other last names in my tree Raeburn, Appleby, Ingram, Lynch, Hayes, Baker, Ketley, Newman, Dobson, Holdsworth, Summerill, Summerell.

Offline Leanne.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 07 July 13 06:09 BST (UK) »
And this one:
Obituary for Kingsmill Joseph Dobson ( Son of Kingsmill John Dobson)

Kingsmill Joseph Dobson, A Penrith descendant of the famous pioneering cox family.

He was Kingsmill J Dobson, Know as "King" in Penrith, his mother was miss Cox before her marriage
Researching Whitby from England & Australia, Taylor from Scotland & Australia, Norman/Normand from France & Australia. Other last names in my tree Raeburn, Appleby, Ingram, Lynch, Hayes, Baker, Ketley, Newman, Dobson, Holdsworth, Summerill, Summerell.

Offline Leanne.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 07 July 13 06:12 BST (UK) »
And this

Mr King Dobson has been bereaved by the death of his mother, Amy Rebecca Dobson.
Deceased was a daughter of the late William Cox, of Mulgoa.

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 07 July 13 06:44 BST (UK) »
Maybe I am wrong, but I would have thought  that there would have been several detailed newspaper reports of this marriage, especially if there was a prominent family connection, as this would traditionally have been a big society event. Wonder why there was no mention of parents of either party in the marriage notices? Why make the point of having two notices 6-7 months after the marriage and yet have them so very brief?

cheers :)
cupoflife 

Offline muss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 07 July 13 07:49 BST (UK) »

Offline Leanne.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 07 July 13 10:36 BST (UK) »
Maybe I am wrong, but I would have thought  that there would have been several detailed newspaper reports of this marriage, especially if there was a prominent family connection, as this would traditionally have been a big society event. Wonder why there was no mention of parents of either party in the marriage notices? Why make the point of having two notices 6-7 months after the marriage and yet have them so very brief?

cheers :)
cupoflife
There may be other articles,
Amy Rebecca Cox is the great grand daughter William Cox who built the road, maybe she wasn't as important as the men in the family.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 07 July 13 10:54 BST (UK) »
Did you see this link http://coxfellowship.angelfire.com/ within the link that Muss posted.

Bringing together descendants of Australia's pioneer roadbuilder William Cox 1764-1837
If you are descended from William Cox and would like to keep in touch with events during the bicentenary of Cox's Road in 2014-2015, please drop us a line:

William Cox Fellowship, P O Box 63, Edgecliff, NSW 2027, Australia OR email coxfellowship@gmail.com

Would be well worth contacting them.

cheers,
   Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Leanne.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 07 July 13 10:58 BST (UK) »
Did you see this link http://coxfellowship.angelfire.com/ within the link that Muss posted.

Bringing together descendants of Australia's pioneer roadbuilder William Cox 1764-1837
If you are descended from William Cox and would like to keep in touch with events during the bicentenary of Cox's Road in 2014-2015, please drop us a line:

William Cox Fellowship, P O Box 63, Edgecliff, NSW 2027, Australia OR email coxfellowship@gmail.com

Would be well worth contacting them.

cheers,
   Ros

Thank you, I have contacted someone from the first link posted, I will have a look at this one as well.