Author Topic: Was I lucky (or what?)  (Read 4324 times)

Paul E

Was I lucky (or what?)
« on: Sunday 21 August 05 15:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just back from a very useful trip to the North Yorkshire Records Office and my first foray into Parish Records.. :)

I went to try to fill out a few births that seemed to be missing from the IGI - and duly found them, adding five siblings to a family of 10 to make 15- nothing exceptional there, (except the numbers!).

Thought I'd check a couple of the entries that I already had from the IGI for the later family members, thinking I might get a little extra information (maybe the father's occupation)...

This is what I got for one of the entries - I could hardly believe it!

Sarah Clarke, third daughter of John Clarke of Skipton, Cartwright, son of William Clarke of Skipton, Cartwright, by Elizabeth, daughter of John Gamesby (or Garnesby) of Skipton, Labourer and of Jane, daughter of John Barker, of KirbyWiske, bricklayer.

FOUR generations in one parish record (from the 1770's)!

From what I've read elsewhere, this sounds pretty unusual - is it?

Anyway, it made my day!

cheers

Paul

Offline Nessie

• I am sorry my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Was I lucky (or what?)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 August 05 15:05 BST (UK) »
It's made my day knowing how you must feel to find such a gem of a record.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SallyF

• RootsChat Senior
  • My mum and big brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 August 05 15:08 BST (UK) »
Very  lucky !!  If only all records were kept in this way, it' would make life soooo much easier.

But don't you think it's times like this that keep you going ??

Congratulations,

Sally
Foreman, McAlpine, Bainbridge - Northumberland
White, Keeley, Golding - Suffolk
Johnson - Staffordshire
Wild, Green, Cusworth - Yorkshire (West Riding)

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 August 05 15:13 BST (UK) »
I definitely wouldn't say it is common.

I'm only really familiar with Scottish records where you will nearly always find something a little bit extra to IGI eg address or occupation of father.

I think entries crop enough for EVERYONE to check the originals - well it isn't a mantra for no reason!  ;D

On my limited experience I'd say this level of info is rarer and very much congrata to you  ;D

Pam
 ;D

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 August 05 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul E,

I too have seen a similar record - courtesy of nth cousin Bryan who posts on RC and who sent me a copy of such an entry for our mutual ancestor Hannah TINKER/TINKLER bap in Finningley, Nottinghamshire/Yorkshire in 1803.  What a joy!
It lists TINKER, Hannah, born Thursday the 13th January and baptized Sunday the 20th February.  Under 'Father's Name Abode, Profession and Descent' it lists "John Tinker of Finningley, Labourer Son of Samuel Tinker of Bentley Labourer by Ann Daughter of".  Under Mother's Name and Descent' it lists "Helen Daughter of Robert Walker of Corthourn Shoe-maker by Ann Daughter of" . 

I understand that such records were usually found only in Yorkshire and were referred to there as DADE records - from the surname of the clergyman who introduced them.

There is a reference to them in Roy Stockdill's Newbie's Guide at:
http://www.genuki.org.uk/gs/Newbie.html

Roy writes:
"In Yorkshire some parishes were extremely lucky in having what were called DADE REGISTERS, named after the Rev William Dade, vicar of several Yorkshire parishes, who instituted a system of giving substantially more information than normal. If you come across these they are a gold mine, since they usually give in a baptismal entry not only the name of the father but the mother's name, father's occupation, and the names of both grandfathers and parishes of residence, thus taking you back another generation and to other places. In 1812 a further new system was introduced extending the amount of information given but, ironically, giving less information than had previously occurred under Dade Registers. There is no overall guide to which parishes had Dade Registers but you will certainly know them when you see them."

Regards,

JAP

Offline jinks

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Thomas Pye
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 August 05 15:56 BST (UK) »
Ooooh Now then!!

Though most of my Ancestors came from Lancashire since the year dot.

I know my Mercers jumped the boundary from the White Rose County to the Red Rose.

Think I might do some digging in to the Mercer family, think I have them back to early 1700s but
would be nice to find even more sources/information.

Thank you Paul E and JAP for putting me on to
the new source. DADE Records in Parishes

Jinks
Ashton Lancashire
Eccles Lancashire
Fletcher Lancashire
Harwood Church/Darwen
Jackson Staffordhire/Worcestershire
Jenkinson Cockerham
Marsden Hoghton Lancashire
Mercer Lancashire/Yorkshire
Pye Wyresdale
Singleton Lancashire
Swarbrick  Longridge
Watt Scotland/Lancashire

Offline SallyF

• RootsChat Senior
  • My mum and big brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 August 05 19:32 BST (UK) »
I knew ther'd be some advantage to being a Yorkshire lass somewhere!!

However if Paul has found them in North Yorkshire I wonder if the influence got as far as South Yorkshire ??

Sally

Foreman, McAlpine, Bainbridge - Northumberland
White, Keeley, Golding - Suffolk
Johnson - Staffordshire
Wild, Green, Cusworth - Yorkshire (West Riding)

Offline AnneMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 August 05 19:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone.

The dade registers when used in some parishes in yorkshire. I have found them in the parish of Tadcaster. Was a big help in my research of the Savage family.  I am pretty sure I have a list of parishes where the dade regisiters where use. I will try and find it and post it on the site.

Anne
Canada
Yorkshire - Thompson. Savage, Morris, Richardson, Frankish, Mintoft, Myers, Barker, Hotchkiss
Shropshire - Hotchkiss
Derbyshire - Hardwick, Barker, Marples
Lancashire - Winstanley, Morton

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 August 05 19:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul

You stuffy B--------!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Glad it happened to you - now having just spent the last 4 hours talking to the Vicar of Hamner about family records etc and finding he used to be the Senior Archivist for Pembrokeshire Records Office, I have quite a few leads myself!!

And I only went there to help a Rootschatter in Oz with a grave!!

See  - one good turn - gets loads of leads!!

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails