Author Topic: James Tiley,1800 Camerton,Somerset.  (Read 1636 times)

Offline grh8343

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Tiley,1800 Camerton,Somerset.
« on: Sunday 24 August 14 05:47 BST (UK) »
Help please. Looking for parents of above - date of birth and place as stated on some censuses but cannot find his birth or his 1841 census. He married Ellen(Eleanor) Pearson on 31/8/1823 in Southwark,London but cannot get hold of that certificate either to gain father's name.The forename James follows on to later generations so maybe a James for the father?

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James Tiley,1800 Camerton,Somerset.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 August 14 08:13 BST (UK) »
1841 surname transcribed as Siley living at Belgrave Cottages Middlesex

James Siley 41 Blacksmith not born in County
Elenor Siley 41
Ellen Siley 14
Martha Siley 11 not born in county
Mary Siley 9
James Siley 6
Maria Siley 4
All the rest born in County.

HO107 Piece 732

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 August 14 08:23 BST (UK) »
The marriage is to early to show the name of the father.
They only started to be added in 1837.

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 August 14 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome to Rootschat grh,

The parish register of Camerton has been transcribed and there is a family named TYLER, George and Martha who had children baptised about this time. There is a James, baptised 19th October 1799. On a later baptism (Samuel, 1803) the surname appears to be TILEY according to the transcriber.

On 27 September 1791 George TYLEY married Martha CLEMENT at Camerton. They are both described as sojourners  in the parish, that is to say they were not permanent residents.

I think the registers are included on FreeReg, so you could find the other entries for the family there

The rector at Camerton, John Skinner kept wonderful diaries of which a selection is included in a book: Journal of a Somerset Rector 1803-34, now out-of-print I fear. I have a copy and will look through it for you to see if any TILEY/TILER are mentioned. It's indexed for the upper class names, but hoi poloi are excluded! It may take some time, but I'll get back to you

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 August 14 11:22 BST (UK) »
Oops,
Steve's post has just reminded me that I had forgotton my manners in my earlier post. :(
A very warm welcome to Rootschat grh.
I'm sure you will get lots of help. :)

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 15:40 BST (UK) »
Hello again

I've had a trawl through Skinner's book and there are no Tileys, but a couple of Tyler mentions. I notice in the transcription of the registers, both names are used for the family of George & Martha. In June 1822 Skinner had an altercation with one of his parishoners, a Mrs Smallcombe and present was "Tyler's wife, a very rank Methodist" (the Methodists were one of Skinner's particular betes noires) who chipped in her pennyworth accusing the rector of hypocrisy and so forth. He left and concludes " I despise myself most thoroughly for suffering irritation from such vermin". This lady could be Martha, but may be a daughter-in-law or someone from the other Tyler family.

The other reference I'm sure, relates to George Tyler, the son of George and Martha. The entry is dated Friday 20th August 1824:
Having heard that young Tyler was killed by a stone falling on him in the Coal Pit last night, I went to the house and found his body had been brought home and was laid in the cottage, but was very properly covered up, as it was much disfigured. His wife, who is far advanced in pregnancy [a son Thomas was baptised 7th Nov 1824] did not seem much afflicted.

Sunday 22 August
.....In my way I stopped at Tyler's house at Daglan, and was destined to see the exhibition of the mangled face of the poor collier as he lay in his coffin, Surely the lower orders cannot have the same feelings as we have, otherwise they could take no delight in exposing what ought with the greatest care be concealed, or in visiting what must convey sensations of horror rather than those of satisfaction. I dare say the cottage has been thronged the whole of the morning.

My notes in brackets. George Tyler, collier of Camerton was buried 23 August 1825 aged 28. Skinner often displays such callousness in his remarks on the labouring classes.

I can't find any details for George or Martha after the baptism of their last child Samuel in 1807.

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline grh8343

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 03:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much  to both, for very prompt replies. You have given me so quickly the information I was needing. Well done, to Rootschat for instigating this interesting site.

The census showed the correct family - again, I had looked up all variations of Tiley, but not Siley!!Also for you comment about no parents being shown on earlier marriage certificates.

How I did not get the correct James Tiley I do not know but you seem to have done it, so again thank you. Also the very poignant and informative story of George's death. Fascinating.

Your welcomes were most welcome and many thanks to all.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 15:12 BST (UK) »
To put a name to poor George Jnrs Wife;
George TYLER, Sojourner, married Rosanna HEAL, Sojourner, 12 Feb 1816, St Peter, Camerton
By Banns with consent of parents.

A Rosanna TILEY married George BARTLETT, 12 Feb 1835 same Church. It does not state if she was a Widow.
George TYLEY and Rosanna HEAL were witnesses to the marriage of Grace TYLEY to John SPERRING, 23 Oct 1815 same Church, marriage was by banns with consent of parents.

1841 Census Grace Sperring is born c 1796 Somerset.

Info above from FreeREG

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline grh8343

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 August 14 06:03 BST (UK) »
 :) :)

Thanks for more information on the Tileys.

Would you know if George,married to Martha was also a collier?(We have obviously been talking about his son and his demise. Amazingly caring vicar! (I had heard of his reputation before)

grh8343  :)