Author Topic: Senghenydd  (Read 30685 times)

Offline Dingaling

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Senghenydd
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 25 October 09 00:49 BST (UK) »
:DHi Diacamera,
It is Sunday Morning in NSW Australia and I am sitting in my computer room viewing your wonderful photos taken the other side of the world of Senghenydd..I am deeply moved viewing the photographs showing the different aspects of life in Senghenydd and particularly the Senghenydd Mine Monument..From one happy researcher THANK YOU for sharing the snaps with me.
Cheers and THANK YOU once again
Kay P
Allan, Dow,Boggie,Douglas,Hillock...Scotland
Potts,Tattersall,Wells,Turner, Brown,Saxby,Knighton,Brangwin,Thompson,Shipton,Hockey.....England and Australia
Coleman, Richards, Hughes, Lloyd, Chambers. Wales and England.
 Evans, Thomas, Humphreys, Williams, Jones, LLoyd. Wales
Parsey, Price, Taylor, Protheroe, Jenkins. Kerford.
....Wales and England.

Offline phylbill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 25 October 09 07:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dingaling, It was really great and quite emotional viewing those photos I am pleased you were thrilled by them also. Wasn't it a fantastic thing  Diacamera did.  It really does look quite wonderful and I shall soon see it for myself I hope my photos's will be as good without the snow please.
When I have been I will post on Rootschat some of my efforts if I get the technology right so keep looking. Regards Phybill

Offline sarenid

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 25 October 09 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phylbil
My gr grandfather was also killed in the 1913 disaster.  He left a widow and 5 children, the eldest my grandmother was 14.  From her and my grandfather various stories were passed down.  Some of which I have been trying to substantiate.  She always said she and her sisters were on a train coming home from school.  The train stopped for a very long time outside Senghenydd and they knew something had happened but it wasn't till they got home that she found out her father was missing.   Another story is the only way of identifying my gr grandfather was through his miner's lamp.  I have found the book the Valley of the Shadow by John Brown book pretty good for providing reasons for this.  It is definitely worth trying to get hold of.   Perhaps someone will republish in time for the anniversary.  Sarenid

Offline Dingaling

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 25 October 09 09:45 GMT (UK) »
I have been deeply touched with the help that I have received on Rootschat.com from fellow researchers in Wales and Scotland who have  gone out of their way and taken photographs of towns and located graves for me a task that I had no way of achieving.
I am hoping that when the Anniversary of Senghenydd Mine Disaster in 2013 come around my husband and I will be there to share the day.
Once again THANK YOU
Kay P :D
Potts,Tattersall,Wells,Turner, Brown,Saxby,Knighton,Brangwin,Thompson,Shipton,Hockey.....England and Australia
....Wales and England.

Offline phylbill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 26 October 09 08:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarenid
I really do hope all the stops are pulled right out for the centenary of the mine disaster and God willing I'll be there. I agree the John Brown book explains a great deal. My mother was only five when her father and grandfather were killed, my gran never talked about it I have no family photo's so I have no idea what my grandfather looked like but I shall continue to find his family line. Regards phylbill

Offline daicamera

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 26 October 09 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi All, Here are a few more photos I've uploaded.
I,m sorry Dingaling, but the house Robert William Evans lived in is no longer with us, It was 26 Stanley street,the next street down from High street.
Most of the odd number houses are still lived in but the other side of the street were demolised I,m afraid.
You can see the rear of the houses in 2 of the photos and in the one photo of the houses,26 Stanley street is on the far left of the photo.
Also,the Stanley street colour photo,the green bank on the left is where the even number houses stood.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kodak1927/sets/72157622666094480/

Offline Dingaling

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 26 October 09 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Daicamera for the extra photos on Senghenydd and for letting me know that 26 Stanley Street does not exist anymore I rather know now then later on how disappointed I would have been. All your photos are very much appreciated.
I have been fortunate to have bought two second hand books on the Mine Disaster
1..The Valley of the Shadow John H Brown
2..Senghenydd A Brave Community by J Basil Phillips.
Cheers for now
Kay P :D
....Wales and England.

Offline Dingaling

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 08:35 GMT (UK) »
:Hi Diacamera, I have been slowly viewing your photos of Senghenydd and must congratulate you on your collection of photos which capture the different events that have occurred in the township of Senghenydd from 1913 to the present day involving  the photos of the Mine 1913, the Rescue and Recovery of 1913, The Anxious Wives and Children Just Waiting on News1913, Mine Memorial, The Town of Senghenyydd as Today, Snow Covered Senghenydd, Senghenydd in Autumn and the different views of the Township.
THANK YOU
Kay P  :D
....Wales and England.

Offline bjla

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 30 April 10 09:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am looking for Trevor Edwards Stanley street Senghenydd anyone know

bjla