Author Topic: District Mounted Police Eastern/Western Cape - Trooper David James Newby 1909.  (Read 3159 times)

Offline durbin

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margaret would like to know if David James Newby was born in South Africa of Irish parents, or did he come to South Africa as an adult.

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: District Mounted Police Eastern/Western Cape - Trooper David James Newby 1909.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 November 13 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Margaret would like to know if David James Newby was born in South Africa of Irish parents, or did he come to South Africa as an adult.

Unfortunately I have been unable to establish if he was born in South Africa, but did find that their was a criminal case against him in 1922 :(

DEPOT     TAB                                                                   
SOURCE    WLD                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 258/22                                                               
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          CRIMINAL CASE. REX VERSUS DAVID JAMES NEWBY.                         
STARTING  19220000                                                             
ENDING    19220000     

Possibly if Margaret orders copies of the documents through eggsa she will get more information. 

Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline BookwormZA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: District Mounted Police Eastern/Western Cape - Trooper David James Newby 1909.
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 April 14 19:22 BST (UK) »
I hope it's not a problem making a very late reply, but I was wondering if there was anymore information on this request.  A David James Newby was my great grandmothers brother.  He wasn't Irish, but was from Norfolk.  His father died in King Williams Town in 1894.  I have no idea if he did serve in the District Mounted Police, but the dates possibly fit. 

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 April 14 19:29 BST (UK) »
There were never any other responses.  However if you give details of your David's father/mother possibly I can find more information for you.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline BookwormZA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 April 14 19:42 BST (UK) »
His father was a Charles Newby; not sure of his mothers name as I'm waiting for information on Charles Newby's will from the Western Cape archives, so I don't know if Charles married in England or in South Africa.  Charles Newby's parents appear to be a David and Sarah Newby from the Thetford area in Norfolk (border with Suffolk).  I can track Charles in the UK census to about 1870 (birth date of 1845), so I assume he came to South Africa in about 1870, 1875.   He died in 1894.  My great grandmother was born in 1890, so I assume that David was born between 1885 and 1894.  I have very little information about David Newby (and my great gran), hence my interest in seeing this topic.  I do also have the reference you cited in the previous reply on order.  There is a reference to a David John Newby in the South African archives as well. 

Thank you for your help!

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 April 14 07:15 BST (UK) »
Found this on the South African Settlers website.

Newby, Charles

Last Name:   Newby
 First Name:   Charles
 Date of Birth:   1845
 Place of Birth:   Thetford, Norfolk, England
 Parents – Father:    David Newby
 Parents – Mother:   A.
 Name of Spouse:
 Marriage Date:
 Marriage Place:
 Date of Death:   26 May 1894 age 49
 Place of Death:  Kingwilliamstown, Cape

Notes:   DN 1412/1894.  Children, both minors:

David

Olive
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 April 14 07:28 BST (UK) »
Here are details regarding Olive.  If you want to order these I would suggest getting the first one only as it would contain all the details from the file.

DEPOT     TAB                                                                   
SOURCE    WLD                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 5/335                                                                 
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 407/1919                                                             
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          OPPOSED APPLICATION. OLIVE HENNESSY (BORN NEWBY) VERSUS RICHARD       
           HENNESSY.                                                           
STARTING  19190000                                                             
ENDING    19190000

DEPOT     TAB                                                                   
SOURCE    WLD                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 0                                                                     
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 368/1919                                                             
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          ILLIQUID CASE JUDICIAL SEPARATION OLIVE HENNESSY (BORN NEWBY) VERSUS 
           RICHARD.                                                             
STARTING  19190000                                                             
ENDING    19190000
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline BookwormZA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 April 14 17:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks - I have all of those.   Thank you for your help!