Author Topic: Joseph Gallagher : finding his date of death between 1928 and 1952.  (Read 2100 times)

Offline helenjean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Gallagher : finding his date of death between 1928 and 1952.
« on: Tuesday 23 July 13 10:00 BST (UK) »
Joseph was my great uncle: he was born in Co. Donegal Ireland in Feb 1879.  His father was John Gallagher (died  28 Jan 1928), mother was Rebecca  nee Weir. (died 1902).  The family moved to Glasgow around the turn of the century.

Joseph was the informant on his father's death record and gave his address as 24 Granville Street Radnor Park. 

He was shown as deceased on the death record of his wife Margaret Palmer (nee McLellan), on 18 Feb 1952 at 10 Bedford Ave Clydebank (informant was their son John 1904-1994); Joseph's occupation was shown as red lead painter (both father and son had worked in the shipyards). The two daughters are also deceased.  I have tried every combination of search terms  I can think of  ::) searching on Scotlands People, but have had no luck.  Any suggestions  ???
Anderson, Wylie,(Glasgow Scotland) Gallagher and Weir, (Co. Donegal, Ireland to Glasgow, possibly also to Canada) McCormack, (Ireland to Scotland),  Leigh, (England to Australia) Thomas (England to New Zealand)  Hatfield and Hoare (England to Australia) Bacon (England to Australia) Parenti (Italy to Australia) da Silva (Azores to New Zealand)

Offline stevgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Gallagher : finding his date of death between 1928 and 1952.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 August 13 00:22 BST (UK) »
Are you sure he died in Scotland Helen?  Clydebank was heavily bombed in war and many families left until war finished. Granville St was virtually destroyed...perhaps Joseph went back to Ireland for duration of war and died there.....just a thought....I have checked records of blitz victims ....no Gallaghers from Granville St recorded as casualties
Gallagher; Goggins; McCue; Gray; McLafferty; McDonald; Morrison; Docherty; Murphy; O'Henly; Steel;Deans

Clydebank; Dunbartonshire; South Uist; Donegal; Glasgow; Mayo

Offline helenjean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Gallagher : finding his date of death between 1928 and 1952.
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 August 13 00:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your interest Steve. :-* No, I am not sure at all that he did die in Scotland, but I have watched various You Tube videos etc. of survivors of the Clydebank Blitz and it seems that the list of casualties was far from complete and there were quite a few unnamed victims buried in a mass grave and elsewhere.

I have recently received the death certs for his son (1994) and two daughters (1974 and 1996) - they all died in Scotland.  It seems that the son was the only one of the three who married (1940). The informant on both the son's and one daughter's death cert was a niece, which leads me to believe that there was another child, born after the 1911 census, probably a daughter who married a man named Welsh; I have written to this informant hoping to discover more.  If I draw a blank there, I guess I will need to order the 1940 marriage certificate of his son to see if Joe was alive then (no image is available from ScotlandsPeople - which makes it a very expensive business!).

On with the sleuthing!  Cheers  :)
Anderson, Wylie,(Glasgow Scotland) Gallagher and Weir, (Co. Donegal, Ireland to Glasgow, possibly also to Canada) McCormack, (Ireland to Scotland),  Leigh, (England to Australia) Thomas (England to New Zealand)  Hatfield and Hoare (England to Australia) Bacon (England to Australia) Parenti (Italy to Australia) da Silva (Azores to New Zealand)