Author Topic: James Rankin Laing  (Read 11228 times)

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Rankin Laing
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 23:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Fran,
Thanks so much. It is certainly very helpful! I really appreciate you taking the time to check for me. If you need anything from the US please let me know!
Alison
Carey, McCabe, McKinnon, Barr, Curr, Templeton

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 09:07 BST (UK) »
Despite even having a date for Jane's death from the newspaper there seemed to be no official record.

Unfortunately Jane died in 1854, just before the start of statutory civil registration. If only she'd survived just a little longer :(
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 09:15 BST (UK) »
Was Walter Black a baker as well as Provost?

The Provost in Scotland is the equivalent of the Mayor in England and other places. Being Provost isn't a job or profession; it's a voluntary civic office, and is not salaried. The Provost is elected by the members of the Town Council, and the members of the Town Council in Walter's day were usually tradesmen (merchants, master craftsmen and the like) or professional men (lawyers) or sometimes members of the local gentry. So it was absolutely the norm for the provost to be a baker, or a shoemaker, or a grocer.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 24 July 14 01:36 BST (UK) »
This is also interesting information. I imagine you had to have some sort of standing in the area or be civic minded. Thanks for your insight.

Offline Sue Milner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 31 August 15 03:08 BST (UK) »
I am a great granddaughter of Provost Walter Black's son Walter.Walter Jnr sold the bakeries,and other business interests in Hamilton and settled in New Zealand where he married Jemima Morris(Hemima Morete) they had 12 children,the eldest son Walter entered local government as a Councillor for Cook County ,and his daughter Ethel Mc Millan was one of New Zealand's first woman MPs and a city councillor for Dunedin,for many years.There is a family story of a sister of Walter, perhaps Mrs Templeton visiting NZ in the 1870s.I note that Walter Black the provost shares a lair in the Hamilton(?) cemetery with a mrs Laing.

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 31 August 15 13:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for this interesting update! The family was certainly active politically. It must be in the blood. I can add a bit more information to my tree.  I think Mrs Templeton would be your Walter's niece if I have this figured out correctly. I will have to see if I can figure out the sister who visited. Maybe Paperspast could help. Was Walter in Dunedin in the 1870's?
I also didn't know that Walter Black Sr. was in the same cemetery as her father. Is this cemetery  information online? Thanks again, I really appreciate all of your new information!
Alison

Offline Sue Milner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 31 August 15 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I thought the Mrs Templeton who visited was Walter's sister.Walter lived in Gisborne,in the North Island of New Zealand and was a most successful farmer and businessman.Ethel Mc Millan lived in Dunedin after attending the University of Otago and marrying-her husband preceded her as an MP and was one of the architects of NZ's welfare state.
Incidentally, I too am a local government councillor for Waipa District which is an area immediately south of the City of Hamilton in the North Island!