Author Topic: Scott Herne Bay - any link with Newcastle-upon-Tyne?  (Read 1243 times)

Offline miw

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scott Herne Bay - any link with Newcastle-upon-Tyne?
« on: Wednesday 06 August 14 14:19 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am researching two separate families named Scott, one is in Newcastle upon Tyne.  In the other family I have a baptism for Henry William SCOTT 1823, Herne Bay son of Henry SCOTT. But have not yet traced any marriage or bpt which seems to match Henry snr.
I have discovered that coal from Newcastle used to be docked in Herne Bay, does anyone have any hints on how I could find out if this was how Henry arrived in Herne Bay?
Mary

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Scott Herne Bay - any link with Newcastle-upon-Tyne?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 14:21 BST (UK) »
What occupation did the father have on the christening record?

Are they any siblings also christened in Herne Bay, giving more of an idea as to when the parents may have married and/or arrived in the area?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline miw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 17:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for pushing me to search my file which led me to have another look on FindMyPast.
The bpt I had mentioned says Labourer, so no help.  I haven't found any siblings for Henry William but there is a possible death for Henry snr age 33 in 1831.  If that is him (which it probably is) then I have today found a bpt at Herne for Henry Scott s of John and Mary in 1798.  Mar. John SCOTT and Mary HOMANS in Herne 1797 and bpt John SCOTT s of 1767 in Boughton under Blean, but 2 John SCOTTs were buried in Boughton under Blean in 1767 and 1768.  So I have the family in Kent for a few more generations.  But I would still be interested in any information anyone has on links between the area and Newcastle, the SCOTT line in Kent must have come from the north originally.

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 22:11 BST (UK) »
    Why do you say the Scotts in Kent must have come from the North? There were a lot of Scott baptisms in East Kent in the 1600s and most were in inland parishes. Is it possible that they moved in the other direction, as some distant part of my family did?
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline miw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 22:22 BST (UK) »
    Why do you say the Scotts in Kent must have come from the North? There were a lot of Scott baptisms in East Kent in the 1600s and most were in inland parishes. Is it possible that they moved in the other direction, as some distant part of my family did?

I'm going by the surname but maybe they moved South much earlier, it was just seeing that there was regular trade between Newcastle and Herne Bay made me wonder but perhaps its a red herring.