Author Topic: Samuel Gibson - needle in a haystack  (Read 2470 times)

Offline plumpyone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Samuel Gibson - needle in a haystack
« on: Monday 13 October 14 13:23 BST (UK) »

Looking for any info on Samuel Gibson born in Scotland c1853.  He married Elizabeth (likely nee Ballentyne Hill/Ballentine Hill) in Carlisle in 1877.

They appear on the 1881 census living in Carlisle with two daughters Mary J and Lillian JH, and by the 1891 census there is no sign of Samuel (it is possible he was regularly working away from home as a hat maker/salesman), but  Elizabeth and the girls plus three sons, John, Henry and David are 'visiting' Thomas Barnfather in Caldewgate, St James (Carlisle) - I think that Thomas Barnfathers wife Margaret had a maiden name of Hill so possibly a sister of Elizabeth Gibson.

I have traced Samuel and Elizabeth and their sons to Dublin, Ireland where they appear on the 1901 census but no sign of the girls.  By the 1911 Dublin census, Samuel is noted as a widower and the three sons are all married and still living in Dublin.  Samuel is listed variously as Presbyterian and Church of Ireland

I'd love to find out more about Samuel and family but its unlikely given the relatively common name and my lack of solid information but hopefully something above will ring a bell with someone....

thanks

Offline greenrig

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father, 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Gibson - needle in a haystack
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 October 14 14:01 BST (UK) »
.....Gibson maybe not such a common name in Scotland....

SP has only one Samuel Gibson born between 1852 and 1854 - born 6/11/1853 in Lochmaben, Dumfries... only 20? miles from Carlisle.   Suggest you get on to ScotlandsPeople and look.
NEILSON - Erskine/Bishopton, Renfrewshire and Glasgow
BROWN - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
CAIRNS - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
FINDLAY - Kirriemuir area, Forfarshire/Angus
PORTER - Tobermore, Derry, Ireland

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 October 14 14:48 BST (UK) »
Hi plumpyone,
Firstly. do you know what the initials stand for in the two daughters names -Mary J and Lillian J H ?
Could be clues to grandmothers names...
Secondly, I would suggest you try and locate Samuel on the 1871 Census. It could well be a process of elimination trying to find the right one but would take you further back.
Looby :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 October 14 19:17 BST (UK) »
Plumbyone...hello  :) Some thoughts....

I think this might be Elizabeth Hill in 1871 with family before her marriage in 1877 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/V513-VF3  You can see a reference in the household to a 3yr old William Barnfather which is promising given you have the surname coming up later.

The best way to be sure about anything is just to try and confirm a couple of events via certs (I know costs build up) but you have Samuel Gordon and Elizabeth Ballantyne Hill's marriage in Carlisle, 3rd Qrt Vol 10b, pg 756 (likely you have this already). I would guess that Ballantyne (don't worry about the spelling of this) is probably just Elizabeth's middle name.

This is the 1881 census entry you referred to earlier https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XQST-B74

Cannot easily see Lillian's birth on http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl in 1881 but wondered whether Mary rather than J for a middle name was actually 'I'? There is a birth reg in Carlisle for a Mary Imrie Gibson - 1879 3rd Qrt Vol 10b, pg 500.

There is a couple showing on Family Search, a John Gibson and Mary Imrie, having children from 1855 (and the start of official Scottish Registration) up to 1859: Isabella 1855, David 1857 and David 1859 (likely first David died)...and then nothing...maybe a move to England?

I am late and have to rush, will look again later.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 October 14 23:08 BST (UK) »
What was the name and occupation of Samuel's father? This should be on his marriage certificate and would help to narrow down your search.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 October 14 23:13 BST (UK) »
do you know what the initials stand for in the two daughters' names -Mary J and Lillian J H ?
Could be clues to grandmothers' names...

FreeBMD has a birth of Lilian Jane H Gibson in Cockermouth in 1880. The 'H' is possibly Hill?

All but one of the Mary J Gibsons listed in FreeBMD between 1877 and 1881 are Mary Janes except Mary Jennet Gibson, born in Wigton in 1879.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline plumpyone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 13:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the suggestions and leads - gives me something more to work on