Author Topic: McAFEE, William Andrew / Janet Brock - searching for relatives  (Read 1198 times)

Offline bluemoonbynite

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McAFEE, William Andrew / Janet Brock - searching for relatives
« on: Tuesday 25 March 14 18:46 GMT (UK) »
I am seeking living relatives of:

William Andrew McAfee, born approx. 1893, Greenoch, Scotland.  Died approx. 1964/5 in Toronto, Ontario.  Eldest of 8 children, Joseph, Alex, Helen, Agnes and others.  2 of his brothers were lost in France during WWI, one was a tailor, another a barber.  Helen, and one brother would follow him to Toronto, and Agnes to Cleveland Ohio becoming Agnes McAfee Steele.  I knew Helen visiting as a child and married becoming Helen McAfee Barker in Toronto, and Agnes who passed away just a few years ago at 101 in Ohio.

At age 13 William worked at Austin's Bakery in Bellshill, Scotland and went on to study baking at Glasgow University.  He returned as a Baker to Austin's Bakery, and met and married (in 1924) Janet Brock, from Bellshill (born approx. 1894).

In 1924 they immigrated to Toronto, Ontario Canada where William & Janet began their own bakery.  They had one child, a son (my father) who is now in his 87th year.  My father grew up above this bakery.  I never met my grandmother, and barely can remember my grandfather before his passing in approx. 1964/65.

I know there are relatives of William Andrew  McAfee's siblings in Scotland as one of them was over visiting the US and my parents in Ontario Canada with Agnes McAfee Steele.

Thank you in advance for any information.

Offline bluemoonbynite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William Andrew McAfee / Janet Brock - searching for relatives
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Janet Brock born approx. 1894 in Bellshill, Scotland.  She had brothers, one named Jim

She worked at Austin's Bakery in Bellshill, where she met her husband and married before immigrating to Toronto, Ontario Canada.

She married William Andrew McAfee in 1924, same year as immigration.  They had one son in 1927 (this is my father).

Looking for information on her relatives and family tree down the line in Bellshill Scotland if possible.

Thank you in advance.

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
William Andrew McAfee / Janet Brock - searching for relatives
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 20:06 GMT (UK) »
    There is a marriage which might or might not be the one you are looking for, but there seems to be a spelling mistake.

William Andrew McPhee married Janet Brock at Bellshill, 1925.

McAfee could have been mis-spelt as McPhee.

Also, a Janet Cross Brock was born in 1898 at Airdrie & New Monkland.       Probably a red herring though, because Airdrie is further north though still in Lanarkshire.      Does the middle name Cross mean anything to you?

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: William Andrew McAfee / Janet Brock - searching for relatives
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi J , welcome to Rootschat  :)

RC is not  a Forum for seeking living relatives , so if anyone has further information they may wish to use the PM(Personal Message) system.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

I've merged these 3 posts to prevent duplication.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McAFEE, William Andrew / Janet Brock - searching for relatives
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 March 14 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Is this Agnes' death?  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/V3Y1-538  If so, she is listed on an obituary index here -
http://www-catalog.cpl.org/CLENIX/ADP-2442

And her husband is on the same obituary index - http://www-catalog.cpl.org/CLENIX/@STEELE/f38e40009000/0

Offline bluemoonbynite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McAFEE, William Andrew / Janet Brock - searching for relatives
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 March 14 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much.  I just got this message (sorry new here).  Yes, this was Williams sister (my great Aunt) which I did have the pleasure of knowing in my life.  I am seeking other sibblings, that would be long passed on now.

Thank you so much for posting this, I appreciate any help given to this newbie.