Author Topic: Scanlon family of Renfrewshire  (Read 2367 times)

Offline gjdavids

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scanlon family of Renfrewshire
« on: Thursday 16 January 14 13:53 GMT (UK) »
The Scot census of 1841 indicates a Helen Scanlon (60) living with (presumably) her daughters Hannah (40), Sarah (22) and Helen, (15).  They are Irish-born, residing in Grahamston, Neilston, Scotland in 1841.  I know that the daughter Sarah married my great grandfather, Arthur Davidson, in 1849.  But I have no clue about her mother and her siblings.  I will be grateful to learn if anyone has a connection or advice as to the mother and siblings.  Many thanks.  George   

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Scanlon family of Renfrewshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 January 14 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,

Looking at the 1851 Census transcription at http://www.freecen.org.uk/ Hannah would appear to be with the Davidson's as Hana HANLON age 53 unmarried , noted as sislaw to the head of household(Arthur Davidson).

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline JMStrachan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 January 14 14:37 GMT (UK) »
There's also a marriage, on FamilySearch, for Helen Scandlin to William Leckie at Neilston on 31 December 1850, which I thought might be the younger daughter. However, Helen Leckie is in the 1851 census in Neilston with her husband and is living with her parents Robert and Jane Scanlon, both born Ireland. But the family may well be related to your Helen and her daughters.

Your Sarah seems to have her sister living with her in 1851, as there is a Hana Slaton (as it's been transcribed) with Arthur and Sarah Davidson. Unfortunately, as Arthur and Sarah's marriage took place before 1855 the marriage record in the OPR won't detail parents names.

If any of the sisters died in Scotland, finding a post-1855 death certificate for them on ScotlandsPeople should tell you who their parents were - or at least who the person registering the death thought the parents were.

Sadly, tracing people in Scotland back to Ireland is a notoriously difficult task, as all you tend to know is that they were born in Ireland.
AYRSHIRE - Strachan, McCrae, Haddow, Haggerty, Neilson, Alexander
ABERDEENSHIRE (Cruden and Longside) - Fraser, Hay, Logan, Hutcheon or Hutchison, Sangster
YORKSHIRE (Worsbrough) - Green, Oxley, Firth, Cox, Rock
YORKSHIRE (Royston and Carlton) - Senior, Simpson, Roydhouse, Hattersley

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 January 14 15:29 GMT (UK) »
I was also looking at the Scanlon families in Neilson at 1841.
As far as I can tell ( without looking for mistracribed records) there were only 2 households in Neilston with this name.
One is the family that George mentions in his opening post and the other is the family of Robert And Jane.
However, the 1841 census did not include relationships but it does clarify that there were 2 girls, both called Helen, and were of a similar age.

George's post
Helen Scanlan   60
Hannah Scanlan   40
Sarah Scanlan   22
Helen Scanlan   15
Jean Thomson   35
Grace Gallacher   20
Mary Paterson   25
William Cochran   3
John Cochran   1

Other household
Robt Scanlin   45
Jane Scanlin   45
Jane Scanlin   20
Mary Scanlin   20
Hellen Scanlin   20
James Scanlin   18
Robt Scanlin   16
Johnston Scanlin   14
Willim Scanlin   12
Thomas Scanlin   10
Alexander Scanlin   5
John Davidson   7mo

EDIT:
Could 60yr Helen Scanlon be the mother of Robert (45), Sarah (20) and Hannah (40) and possibly Helen ( 15) ?

Offline gjdavids

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 March 14 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all!  I very much appreciate your help and guidance.  George