Author Topic: Robert McCoskry Butt  (Read 3820 times)

Offline Druid56

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert McCoskry Butt
« on: Thursday 02 December 10 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have Robert McCoskry's running right through my tree so it looks like a family name .I believe that a Robert McCoskry was one of the early directors of the Chemical Bank in New York after owning a shop with his brothers widow This Robert came from Kelton Hills (Rhonehouse ) Kirkcudbright Scotland which is a very small village and arrived in USA about 1810. He was the uncle of Mary Elisabeth Coskry who married George Amos Butt in 1825 one of their children was Robert McCoskry Butt who married Frances Morris in 1875 and one of their children was McCoskry Butt born 1858
I am searching for a link  (if one exists )between him and my McCoskry's back in Kelton Hills Kirkcudbright the  earliest I have records for is Robert McCoskry born around 1811 ANY input would be much appreciated as I seem to have hit a brick wall 
Cheers  Angus
McCcoskry, Coskry,Copland, Rigg, McGinn,Agnew,Crone, Sw/Scotland
Kirkcudbrghtshire , Wigtownshire, Dumfrieshire

Jack,Connell
Wynne, Derby,McFadyen,Dunbar
Glasgow and surrounding areas
Rasche Johnston,
Dundee, Dingwall,Perthshire Carlisle , Ireland, Germany
Weale  , Hall
Much Wenlock and surrounding area Shropshire

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Robert McCoskry Butt
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 December 10 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angus,

Not sure if this will help and you may already be aware of this but there is reference to an Aunt and Cousins of Brig General McCosky Butt in France which may be something you have not investigated.  Found a passport application dated 5 th Sept 1919 for Brig General McCoskry Butt born 18 April 1858 New York City. In which he states his father was Robert McCoskry Butt now deceased and residing in Greenwood Cemetery since 1861. The purpose of the passport was for him to go to France - Family Money Affairs
He was 61 years old - 5ft 9 1/4 ins High Forehead - Brown Eyes - Large Nose - Medium Mouth - Brown Hair - Fair Complexion - Oval Face. Distinguishing Marks :- Bullets in left knee.
There is a letter attached from F B Keech & Co.  (members of the London Stock Exchange) 7 Wall Street. New York addressed to the Secretary of State, dated 2 September 1919. It explains the purpose of the visit which calls General McCoskry Butt to France. An Aunt and some cousins of his, whose property he looks after and in whose affairs he is greatly interested, have had there houses and properties in Rheims devastated by the Germans. His relatives, wishing to make arrangements to re-build there estates find it necessary to have General Butt go to France to help them make the necessary arrangements.

An earlier entry refers to a passport application for Robert M Coskey Butt 29 Aug 1853 who was a Native Ciizen of the USA who required a passport for visiting foreign countries.

Also this piece on Robert McCorsky born 1792 - Keltonhill Kirkcudbright.
In this article it seems to say Robert married Catherine M daughter of Thomas Read of Troy. It also makes reference to his death as 25 October 1867 and his widow 22 April 1886. There was no issue of the Union.  Which could mean this Robert was married previously  ???

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0amb/

A section on Nathaniel McCorsky (brother of Robert) says he married Rachel Willetts and had 2 offspring - Mary E who married George A Butt (who was in the dry goods business and naturalized in the US in 1834 - Samuel Coskey was a witness) on 10th January 1824 and it was from this couple from whom General McCoskry Butt was descended. Presumably through Robert McCorsky born 7 th June 1828. Also a daughter - Marie Antoinette married March 2, 1829, Nathan B. Graham, Junior, a druggist.

These were the Butt children who were baptised at St Ann's Episcopal Church in Brooklyn.

Butt Antoinette McCoskry 8/4/1826 3/17/1835  - George Amos Butt - Mary Elizabeth 
Butt Robert McCoskry 6/7/1828 3/17/1835  - George Amos Butt -  Mary Elizabeth 
Butt Louisa Mott 2/14/1830 3/17/1835  = George Amos Butt -Mary Elizabeth 
Butt Samuel McCoskry 8/5/1834 3/17/1835  - George Amos Butt - Mary Elizabeth 
Butts William 8/6/1850 9/10/1850  - George Butts and  Eleanor 
Butts Samuel 2/??/1853 3/24/1853  -  George Butts 
Butts Mary Anan 6/22/1839 10/14/1855  - George Butts and Ellen of 55 Fulman Street 
Butts Debora Ellen 7/13/1855 10/14/1855  George Butts and Ellen of 55 Fulman Street

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0amc/

Regards
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 December 10 16:28 GMT (UK) »
the 1850 Census shows Robert with Catherine Reid in New York Ward 15 Eastern Half, New York, New York.

Robert Mccaskry 53 Born Scotland. Merchant.
Catherine Mccaskry 32 Born New York.
Anna Reid 23 Born New York
Ann Hart 27 Born Ireland
Jane Mcginny 24 Born Ireland

Regards
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 December 10 16:55 GMT (UK) »
New York City Marriage -

Robert McCoskry  and  Catharine M. Read
Marriage Date: 15 Jun 1848
Marriage Place: New York City.

New York, Deaths Newspaper Extracts (Barbour Collection)

Robert Mccoskry  - Publication Date: 26 Oct 1867

Also appears in New Yok Genealogical Record

Robert McCoskry - Year: 1850  - New York City
Source: Doggett'S New York City Directory, For 1849-1850
Publisher: John Doggett, Jr. & Co.

Regards
Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 December 10 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Also listed New York Genealogical Record

Robert McCoskry  Lived in New York City  - Year: 1820
Hosier  - Source: Mercein's City Directory, New-York Register, and Almanac
Publisher: William A. Mercein

and 1835   Robert McCoskry  Lived in New York City  - Hosier
Source: Longworth's American Almanac, New-York Register, and City Directory
Publisher: Thomas Longworth

Offline Druid56

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 December 10 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra
   wow you do seem to have been busy let me start by thanking you for the time and effort spent .Some of the info I was aware of, but a lot I had not discovered .
Robert seems to have been the name given to 1st sons by all branches that I have discovered
I am guessing but I think Robert born Keltonhill 1792 and married to
Cathrine m was the uncle of my Robert born 1811ish he also had a son called Nathaniel born 1840 whom I lose track of after 1851 and I cannot find any where No death records census records so I am thinking maybe he headed off to the USA when he was a young man ?
I shall keep digging thanks to you I now have a birth year for 1792 for Robert who emigrated so I shall continue looking for the link .
Thanks again
        best wishes
                              Angus

Jack,Connell
Rasche Johnston,
Weale  , Hall

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 December 10 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angus.

Your very welcome, I did also an electronic e book of the biographical register of the St Andrews Society (which was on the link I gave) but this one probably easier to access.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0amg/

All the best with your searches.
Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 December 10 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Just to make you aware of this entry (if its not yours) may give a contact for you - found on World Connect. Robert McCoskry and Elizabeth Coupland.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0amh/

Regards
Sandra

Offline Druid56

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 December 10 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra  The link you just posted was off my tree but Tom Marshall posted it as it links with his tree somewhere thanks again

Jack,Connell
Rasche Johnston,
Weale  , Hall