Author Topic: James Wilson Stevenson - Massachusetts - Help please  (Read 2293 times)

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Wilson Stevenson - Massachusetts - Help please
« on: Wednesday 08 October 14 23:32 BST (UK) »
Hi
James was my Great Uncle and left the UK sometime in the early 1900's. I have his marriage details in 1912 and birth details of two sons in approximately 1915 and 1918. Both the WW1 Draft card and the 1920 census have him in Dedham. He does get divorced sometime between the 1920 and 1930 census and although I have found his wife and sons in 1930 I haven't been able to find him in the 1930 or 1940 census. His WW11 draft card give details of a contact person in North Branford, Connecticut who I believe is unrelated. I discovered his death by chance in Swampscott in 1946. I purchased a copy of his death certificate to gain further details as he had another wife, Alice F Stevenson. I am hoping someone may have some ideas on how to track him down in the years 1930 - 1940 as I have looked many times in the census but can't see any possible candidates. He was born 22nd October 1884 in Scotland. I would also like to know how I could find details of his marriage to Alice whose maiden name was Smith.
As I am a resident in England any help would be great as my knowledge of US records and how to access them is minimal.
Many thanks in advance
Pam

Offline knort33

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: James Wilson Stevenson - Massachusetts - Help please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 October 14 04:20 BST (UK) »
If you have received the death certificate and if it shows his exact date of birth and exact date of death and the city/state where he died, please post that information, along with the name of the informant (person who reported the death, along with how the informant was related to the decedent, if that information is given) and the decedent's last known address, and occupation, as any one of these will be helpful clues in doing additional research.

Offline knort33

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 October 14 04:21 BST (UK) »
Also helpful would be the name and city of the cemetery where he is buried, if that is mentioned.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 October 14 06:59 BST (UK) »
For information purposes

FIND A GRAVE

James W Stevenson died 10 march 1946

Burial: Swampscott Cemetery  Swampscott Essex County Massachusetts.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=stevenson&GSiman=1&GScid=91758&GRid=71226978&

Essex Street Swampscott Essex County Massachusetts Postal Code: 01907
Phone: 781-596-8860

http://www.town.swampscott.ma....

Have you contacted the cemetery to see if Alice is buried with James ?

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 October 14 13:05 BST (UK) »
1923 Dedham city directory
Stevenson, James W. (Helen G.) salesman, home 42 Bullard

1926 Dedham city directory
Stevenson, Helen G. Mrs., telephone operator, home 42 Bullard
Stevenson, James W. (Helen G.) salesman, home 42 Bullard

1928 Dedham city directory
Stevenson, Helen G. Mrs., telephone operator, home 42 Bullard
Stevenson, Jas. W. (Helen G.) moved to Portland, Maine

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 October 14 13:53 BST (UK) »
1949 Swampscott city directory
Stevenson, Alice F., saleswoman, home 2 Sunbeam Lane

No James or Alice Stevenson mentioned in the 1946 Swampscott city directory.

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 October 14 18:40 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Thanks so much for your replies.
In answer to some of the questions  -
DOB 22nd October 1884 born in Scotland -
Death 10 March 1946 buried in Swampscott Cemetery, Essex , Massachusetts. I also picked this up through the Find a grave website. Thanks Sandra
On his death certificate the informant is his wife Alice F Stevenson nee Smith. The address given is 3 Sunbeam Lane with ties into the 1949 Swampscott directory.
James occupation is given as Salesman - with the type of business stated as Specialty Co with Self in brackets so I assume he may have worked for himself.
In another section of the certificate it states
'I hereby certify that I attended deceased from 01/08/1944 to 3/10/1946. I last saw him alive on 3/8/1946.' Length of stay in this community 2 years.
Buried at Swampscott Cemetery. It says the funeral director is H Richardson, Address 48 Lafayette Road , Lynn. He had no Social Security No.
I haven't contacted the cemetery but I will do so. Thanks again.

The 1928 Dedham directory entry is interesting saying he had moved to Portland Maine. I have made contact with his family but it is thought no contact was made after he left.

Background information on James - He was court martialled from the Royal Marines, deserted and disappeared until I found him in the US. I believe he may have been a remittance man where the family paid for him to stay away.Father's name William and mother's name Emily. I am not sure their names would help as I have found many family members' don't know these names.

Pam

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 October 14 18:08 BST (UK) »
Do you have an obituary for James?  If not, it might be worth checking with the local library to see if they will do look-ups.  http://www.noblenet.org/swampscott/contact/  It might mention where he lived previously or when he & Alice married.

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 20:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for the tip re the library for an obituary. I am following this up along with the cemetery.
I have found an entry in a 1924 Boston directory for a James W Stevenson, salesman which has the following entry - 221 Columbus Av rm 52h Portland ME. I know he is in the 1926 Dedham directory but this could also be him as it mentions Portland.
Can anyone tell me what the entry means, particularly rm 52h Portland ME.
Maybe I am clutching at straws!!!

Pam