Author Topic: Benjamin LOWE B.1854 - my family history - I am from Australia  (Read 12111 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BENJAMIN LOWE B.1854 - MY FAMILY HISTORY - I AM FROM AUSTRALIA
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 26 April 14 16:02 BST (UK) »
It might be worth posting on the Australia board asking for a lookup of immigration records for your family.

The time frame that they arrived has been narrowed down to between 1881 (last sighting of them on the census in England) and 1884 (child born in Australia).

Each State holds it's own records, so mention South Australia in your subject heading. Also, provide a link to this thread so everyone will know what information you already have and it will also help find the family.  :)

It is highly likely that like most of us, your family had menial jobs such as labourers - migrants from the UK were encouraged to come to Australia to "build" the country, clear land, farm etc etc. Specific skills were often imported from the UK for particular projects. Many of the poorer families left cold wet England for warmer climates with the promise of a better life, and often some freebies too.  ;D

Also, for many of us, the only mention of our ancestors is on birth, death and marriage records and if in the UK, census records, so be prepared to find little or nothing more about them.

By the way, they definitely would have arrived on a ship (no other way to get to Australia in those days) - the journey would generally take about three months.

PS. There are many many members of Rootschat who live in Australia. I'm sure you will get all the help you need from them.

Offline geronamo2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 26 April 14 16:44 BST (UK) »
DUNDEE

Published in the South Australia Government Gazette
3rd May 1883

Crown Lands and Immigration Office, Adelaide, 3rd May 1883

The undermentioned immigrants per Dundee sailed from Plymouth on the 23rd February
and are expected to  arrive at Port Adelaide about the 18th instant.
Persons here whose friends are on this vessel are requested to obtain house accommodation
and make arrangements without delay to receive them on arrival.
The immigrants, except those nominated by their friends, and the single
women, can be engaged on arrival on board the ship, at Port Adelaide. The single women, who are not
nominated will be hired at the Servant’s Home, Flinders Street, Adelaide on the day after their arrival at
the home. Employers in the country districts can communicate with the Crown Lands and Immigration Office,
Adelaide by letter, either before or after the arrival of the vessel, stating the kind of labor they require, &c.,
and upon their arranging for the conveyance and reception of the persons they want, their requests will, when
possible, be complied with.
Alfred Catt,  Commissioner of Crown Lands and immigration

this is the full update and it includes the children that were on board the ship as someone pointed out the kids they had in england; and then ive found more information including the fact that the son Harold who was an infant when they left england ended up serving in WW2 as written below:

Mr. Harold Lowe. 60. of Port Pirie
West, who died suddenly on July 26.
was born at Aston Villa. Birmingham
('England). As an infant he came to
South Australia with his parents in the j
ship Dundee. Later he joined his father
in a tinsmithing business at Laura, en
listins there in 1914 for the Great War.
and serving two years with the 43rd
Battalion. In France he sustained
severe shell-shock, and after two years'
service was discharged on a pension.
For a while he was employed by the Re
patriation Department in tankmaking at
Lake Bonnev, but about five years ago
he settled at Port Pirie. He was un
married. He left five brothers and
two sisters.

so much information there they arrived in Adelaide in 1883 on the DUNDEE ship amazing 130yrs later I live in the same city they came to literally about 20miles from the Port they came to and about 150miles from the town they lived in for at least the next 60yrs! wow

so who can help me find the proper australian page to post all this information on and to see if there any living relatives still that I have never heard of before!

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 26 April 14 16:53 BST (UK) »
This should take you to the Australian board. Then click on New Topic and start your post. Please remember to link it back to here, otherwise people won't be very happy if they waste time finding what you already have. http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?board=165.0

I'm not sure why you were asking about the ship as it looks as if you already have that information.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 26 April 14 17:06 BST (UK) »
Hi geronamo2011

Welcome to rootschat.  :) 

Sorry I have nothing more to add on Benjamin but it might be an idea if you put on your profile that you are in Australia then in the future we won't be suggesting you visit Record offices in England for anything you may be after.  ;D

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin LOWE B.1854 - my family history - I am from Australia
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 27 April 14 03:44 BST (UK) »
Ok geronimo, I see that we have all misunderstood your request. I think the fact that you said your family arrived in Australia between 1874 and 1884 is what threw us, and we thought you were looking for immigration dates. I now see that you have the immigration record for your family. In addition you already have substantial amounts of other documentation such as you posted above. If you know their dates of death, have you looked for obituaries for any of your family. These can often contain interesting snippets.

To go back to the beginning again. I take it you are looking for earlier generations of the Lowe family back in England? And possibly looking to make contact with any of their descendants?

I suggest you have a look at the information given earlier in this post (census etc), get it all down on paper, possibly in a diagram or whatever you find easiest to understand, then come back to us if you find you have any gaps that we might be able to help you fill in.

If you are looking for living descendants of any of these Lowes, then anyone researching the same family in the future who googles these names, will find this thread and be able to join rootschat to contact you. Rootschat often appears towards the top of google results.  ;D This has happened with my families on a number of occasions.

Offline geronamo2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 27 April 14 07:35 BST (UK) »
Hi thank you for all your help; I have alot of information; I was now looking to find any living descendants in england and in Australia thats all; trying to find a more detailed family tree; the ones I found online only show the ones deceased and not the current living children etc so I just have to keep looking; thank you all

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 27 April 14 10:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Geronamo

Also remember that we are not allowed to give names or details of any living people on Rootschat.

What you need to do now, both with family here and in Australia is to start from the census information I gave you earlier and try and trace the family forwards until at least the 1911 census. After that it becomes a bit harder as you have to rely on other records such as electoral registers. It is usually easier to start with the males as they don't change their name by marriage. However, to be absolutely sure that you are following the right people you do have to be prepared to buy certificates.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 27 April 14 11:25 BST (UK) »
Here's one to get you started:

Benjamin Lowe had a brother William who was born in 1864 died 1935 in Birmingham.

In the 1901 census he is a table maker and is married to Sarah Ann they have two children

Isaac William Lowe born 1892
Elsie Louise Lowe born 1896

Isaac William Lowe married May Blanche Clifford in 1914. They were still in Birmingham in 1930 (from the electoral register)
They had 3 children:

John Isaac William Lowe 1915 - 1987
Joan Blanch Lowe 1916 - 2005 (married name Bacon)
A daughter born 1920 wont name as she could be alive.

These three may have had children who could be still be alive. I think there were 2 children born to the Lowe/Bacon marriage one in 1950 and one in 1954. You can find these using Freebmd.

Offline geronamo2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 27 April 14 11:39 BST (UK) »
Here's one to get you started:

Benjamin Lowe had a brother William who was born in 1864 died 1935 in Birmingham.

In the 1901 census he is a table maker and is married to Sarah Ann they have two children

Isaac William Lowe born 1892
Elsie Louise Lowe born 1896

Isaac William Lowe married May Blanche Clifford in 1914. They were still in Birmingham in 1930 (from the electoral register)
They had 3 children:

John Isaac William Lowe 1915 - 1987
Joan Blanch Lowe 1916 - 2005 (married name Bacon)
A daughter born 1920 wont name as she could be alive.

These three may have had children who could be still be alive. I think there were 2 children born to the Lowe/Bacon marriage one in 1950 and one in 1954. You can find these using Freebmd.

can you please PM me with how to find these people I have never done this before sorry!!