Author Topic: Help with medals please  (Read 4104 times)

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Help with medals please
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 07 September 14 15:20 BST (UK) »
I have managed to have another look at the engravings on the medals without taking it all apart.

Also please correct me if I have not named these medals correctly. Sure you will anyway.  ::)

The two 1st WW Medals are engraved with Pte 10031 D.W. MURPHY  NORTH D FUS

The Sudan Medal is engraved thus.               4793 Pte D MURPHY  NORTH D FUS

Khedives Sudan Medal is engraved thus.        4793 Pte D MURPHY 5th FUS

QSAM engraved thus.                                   4793 Pte D MURPHY  NORTH D FUS

KSAM engraved thus                                    4753 Pte D W MURPHY NORTH D FUS

I have just done a bit of digging of my own and discovered if I am correct that my sons friend who owns the medals, that his mothers maiden name was MURPHY. So, not his fathers grandfathers as he thinks, but his mothers.                       
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.
SOMERSET-FROME area, Marshall. Dredge.
WILTSHIRE-HORNINGSHAM area-Marshall
ABERDEEN-Middleton-Milne-Cruickshank-Stevenson-Ogg

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 07 September 14 16:02 BST (UK) »
Ken km 1971,

Now that you can see the medals in the frame, do you think I should advise that they have new ribbons put on and that the medals be hung properly in the AS WORN state, then reframed?

Tom
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 07 September 14 16:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom

Personally I would taken the photographs of the naming now. Reframe them in a line with a cap badge of the NF. They are better glazed as they will be less likely to be split up, or stolen if you screw them to the wall (out of sunlight).  The DNW link I sent has new ribbons. These are modern man-made fibres. Personally I prefer the original silk - as in the other link - 'yours' are not too bad. But it is all a matter of taste. But I would not spend too much time deciding as it increases the chances that they are split.  If you can back them with a piece of red melton cloth they will look as he wore them.

I am wondering if FS is Friendly Society. It you google their badges you get a wide variety.

Ken

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 07 September 14 20:38 BST (UK) »
Hi...for now we know his first name was Daniel

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D4191142
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 07 September 14 20:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you Gorton Boy.

That is a great help. Have found a Daniel W Murphy born in Plympton 1881 that may well fit. But until I get any confirmation from the lad himself there is no certainty.  ???

Tom
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 07 September 14 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hi all, here are the details on the medal card, in case you are unable to view it.

Daniel W. Murphy
Noth'd Fus, Pte., 10031
ASC, 396268

Medals
Victory, RASC, Roll 10119310 Pg. 31785
British, ditto

Jool
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 07 September 14 22:50 BST (UK) »
Dear Jool,

Can you please explain that in every day English, as that means nothing to me.

Thanks
Tom
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 07 September 14 23:14 BST (UK) »
medal cards just give name,, rank ,,number,, regiment,,and medals awarded,,,so in this case he was awarded the victory medal,,and british war medal. He was not awarded the star,,so he must have enlisted after 1915.  ASC  is Army service corp,,,so he was in that regiment also at some stage.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 07 September 14 23:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom, I'm no military expert but this is what I understand from the medal card.

Noth'd Fus, Pte., 10031. - He was a Private in the Northumberland Fusiliers, regimental no 10031.

ASC, 396268 - He also served in the Army Service Corps regimental no 396268. Info here http://www.1914-1918.net/asc.htm

Medals
Victory, RASC, Roll 10119310 Pg. 31785
British, ditto
He was awarded the Victory and British medals.  RASC is Royal Army Service Corps same as ASC).
The Roll and Page are his number on the Medal Roll.

No Star medal so enlisted after 1915

Hope this helps.

Jool
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton