Author Topic: British Army Pension Payments  (Read 753 times)

Offline lalkav

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
British Army Pension Payments
« on: Saturday 13 September 14 16:43 BST (UK) »
My gg grandfather Sgt James Kavanagh was in the SLI 13th foot. He was discharged after 21 years service and returned to Co Carlow, Ireland. I've visited the NA and found a pension payment for him in 1874 in the Carlow district in the Royal Hosp Chelsea Out Pensioners Registers (WO23/57). However, the payment books end there and there is no book from 1874 onwards. Does anyone know if any other records were kept anywhere regarding pension payments? How did they record who had been paid what, where and when? Thanks.

Offline Cory Newton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: British Army Pension Payments
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 March 24 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Guess I'll reply in hopes this will get more attention. I have an ancestor (maybe) that was receiving an Army Pension, I have his discharge papers and a list of the pension award amount (s.1, d.1.5) and am curious how the pensions were received? We have a family "story" that this ancestor did not come to America (with his children) but instead went to Canada (could still receive his pension there).

I'm curious if anyone knowns how pensions were paid out, received, and if this (can't receive pension in America) holds true? In my case this would be someone with just over 20 years of service in the British Army. He was a Gunner/Driver with the Royal Artillery. Unsure of rank, it shows a rank of "Captain" but it's crossed out on one page and then on another page it shows Captain again next to his name. He enlisted at age 16, I'm unsure how the distinction is made between enlisted (or rate) and officer was made in the British Army in the early 1800's.
Newton
Loker
Maycroft
Colbert
Fitzpatrick
O’Neill
McKiernan

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 March 24 17:58 GMT (UK) »
I'm curious if anyone knows how pensions were paid out, received, and if this (can't receive pension in America) holds true?

Pensioners who lived 'Out' in the UK received their allowances in cash from agents/local officials in the payment district where they lived. After 1842, district offices administered the payments.

The pensions were paid to the state-appointed private Agent after 1754, whose clerks compiled lists of where each Out-Pensioner was living and how much he was owed. This information was then sent with the money to each regional Collector of Excise. The Collectors would then appoint a day to go to a county town to pay the Out-Pensioners from the surrounding area.

It was possible to have a qualified pension commuted to allow a soldier to immigrate to British colonies. A list of those who did, between the years 1830-1839, is found online at TheShipsList.com
This website also includes a Table with details of "Return of Out-Pensioners allowed to commute their Pensions since the Year 1830 showing the Number who received the Balances, and the Places at which they were paid" (the United States is included in this Table).

Records of payments made to pensioners living overseas, whether in British colonies or foreign countries, are held in series WO 22 and WO 23, available to search and download on Findmypast.

TIP: use the 'Additional Keywords’ search functions on the British Army Service Records page to search within the records of payments made to British Army pensioners overseas. Select WO 22 and WO 23 from the series list and, to narrow your search further, place a country name in the additional keywords field.

There is a book entitled "British Army Pensioners Abroad, 1772-1899" - published in 1995. It's an index to the Chelsea regimental pension registers of British veterans who settled abroad with an army pension.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 March 24 19:37 GMT (UK) »
He was a Gunner/Driver with the Royal Artillery. Unsure of rank, it shows a rank of "Captain" but it's crossed out on one page and then on another page it shows Captain again next to his name.

That's all very confusing. Can you post a link to his records, or give us his name, number, and discharge date? We can take a look and try to clarify a few things for you.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cory Newton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 March 24 20:25 GMT (UK) »
The link I have to his records is on Fold3.com which is a pay site, not sure if you're able to access it.

https://www.fold3.com/file/586915163/maycroft-thomas-uk-royal-hospital-chelsea-pensioner-service-records-1760-1925?terms=kingdom,thomas,united,maycroft

But I think I have the rank question answered because in looking at his pension file payments it does show a rank of Private for about 3 payments.

Thomas Maycroft b. 1797 Stow Bardolph, Norfolk. Served 1812 to 1838 Royal Artillery.

I found that he moved to Canada sometime in the 1850-1860 range as it's noted in his Pension file but I cannot find a date of death or even when his last pension payment was made.
Newton
Loker
Maycroft
Colbert
Fitzpatrick
O’Neill
McKiernan

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 March 24 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Maycroft b. 1797 Stow Bardolph, Norfolk. Served 1812 to 1838 Royal Artillery.

I found that he moved to Canada sometime in the 1850-1860 range as it's noted in his Pension file but I cannot find a date of death or even when his last pension payment was made

Died 23 August 1861. Last pension office was Amherstburg, Ontario

This is evidenced on FindMyPast https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FWO23%2F53%2F00062&parentid=GBM%2FWO23%2F53%2F00062%2F1200705

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 March 24 23:28 GMT (UK) »
There's a private tree for Thomas Maycroft on Ancestry, with that date of death - you might want to contact the owner

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/?name=thomas_maycroft&death=1861&count=50&death_x=0-0-0&location=3243&name_x=1_1&priority=canada

Offline Cory Newton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 March 24 00:19 GMT (UK) »

I found that he moved to Canada sometime in the 1850-1860 range as it's noted in his Pension file but I cannot find a date of death or even when his last pension payment was made

Died 23 August 1861. Last pension office was Amherstburg, Ontario

This is evidenced on FindMyPast https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FWO23%2F53%2F00062&parentid=GBM%2FWO23%2F53%2F00062%2F1200705

Fantastic find! Thank you very much, I really appreciate your help on that.

There's a private tree for Thomas Maycroft on Ancestry, with that date of death - you might want to contact the owner

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/?name=thomas_maycroft&death=1861&count=50&death_x=0-0-0&location=3243&name_x=1_1&priority=canada

At last, someone on Ancestry who might have some decent research. These Maycrofts are intertwined to a degree that's almost comical. In fact, I'm alsmost sure that some records we have in the states are wrong, including certificates of death, etc. It's that bad.

This goes a long way in helping me clear things up.

Thanks again,

Cory
Newton
Loker
Maycroft
Colbert
Fitzpatrick
O’Neill
McKiernan