Author Topic: Witherow families, Aughlish, Gallony, Belfast and elsewhere  (Read 39958 times)

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Witherow families, Aughlish, Gallony, Belfast and elsewhere
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 March 10 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Some Witherow baptisms in Ballykelly Prebyterian & Church of Ireland:

Ballykelly CI 19 Mar 1801 Jane d’r of James & Anne Withero

Ballykelly P James Widerow a dau born Jan 1 1808 baptised Feb 26, Lilly

Ballykelly P 1810 Thomas Widrow, Drumreighland, a dau born March bapt April 14, Rebecca

Ballykelly P James Witherow Drumreghlan, a son born Aug 26 bapt Oct 6 1810, James

Ballykelly P 1812 Thomas Woodrow, Drumreighland, a dau born Feb bapt Lilley April 5 1812

Ballykelly P 1813 John Widerow, Drumreighland, a dau born July 19 bapt Elizab Jean Aug 1 1813

Ballykelly P Thos Witherow a son born June 15 1814 bapt 25 July Thomas

Offline Witherow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 March 10 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Some Witherow baptisms in Ballykelly Prebyterian & Church of Ireland:

Many thanks Gortinanima, Much appreciated
Witherow, Robinson, Wray, Martin,

Offline Agnetta

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 April 10 06:07 BST (UK) »
Any connection to William Witherow who married ?? Scott and emigrated to Australia (Melbourne) c 1950.?They called their house "Aughlish"
?? Scott was my late husbands cousin. Her mother was Elizabeth Gibson m'd Samuel Scott on 22nd August 1920,in Dungiven Presbyterian church, and my husbands mother was her sister, Margaret Gibson. (m'd Joseph Harper 1920)
Agnetta.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 10 April 10 09:06 BST (UK) »
Agnetta,
             My sources show that Samuel Morrison Scott married Elizabeth Gibson in Bovevagh (2 miles north of Dungiven) Presbyterian Church on 15 Sept 1920. Samuel appears to have been a widower, having married Hannah W. Thompson on 12 Jun 1913 in the same church. Hannah Scott died Apr-Jun quarter 1919.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Witherow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 10 April 10 20:03 BST (UK) »
Any connection to William Witherow who married ?? Scott and emigrated to Australia (Melbourne) c 1950.?They called their house "Aughlish"
?? Scott was my late husbands cousin. Her mother was Elizabeth Gibson m'd Samuel Scott on 22nd August 1920,in Dungiven Presbyterian church, and my husbands mother was her sister, Margaret Gibson. (m'd Joseph Harper 1920)
Agnetta.
All the Witherows of Aughlish and Gallany seem to be related but as there were so many Witherow families living in the area in the late 1800's and early 1900's I'm having real trouble tying the whole thing together. Perhaps we can help each other. I don't know if you are aware of the magazine "Benbradagh" but there is quite a bit of information in editions 16 & 17 on the Witherow and Scott families in Australia. Including family photographs of both families. It's a bit on the large side to put on rootschat and would be possibly in breach of regulations as it may contain references to living people. If you are interested I can PM it to you. Do you have any references to the surname Henry in relation to your Scott family? If you have I may have some very interesting information for you.
Witherow, Robinson, Wray, Martin,

Offline Agnetta

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 11 April 10 04:56 BST (UK) »
Witherow - I'm not researching "Scotts" as such.It was just that I knew Willie Witherow through my late husband,who was a cousin of Willie's wife. We visited them when we went to Australia.(my husbands mother was Margaret Gibson and Willies wifes mother(step mother actually) was Elizabeth Gibson,Margarets sister.When your post said Aughlish and Gallony,I just thought there had to be a connection.
I don't have any "Henrys" in my research. Agnetta.

Offline Agnetta

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 11 April 10 05:39 BST (UK) »
Kingskerswell - Is it possible Samuel Scott and Elizabeth Gibson could have had a marriage ceremoney in both churches(Dungiven and Bovevagh)? I know Samuel was a widower when he married Elizabeth (k/a Lizzie)Gibson.
According to the Gibson family Bible,they m'd in Dungiven on 22nd August 1920. and you have Sep 1920 in Bovevagh.Could it have been to accomodate both families.? I have come across two marriages for the same couple,several times,but usually it has been a case of one in Scotland, and then in Ireland a week or so later,not in 2 churches so close tog.
Lizzie was actually step mother(much loved) to the 3 Scott girls (that I know of) Annie Scott m'd Andrew Smyth.  May? Scott m'd William Witherow,and one m'd William Mc Farland
I'm really curious now about the 2 marriage dates and places.Agnetta.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 11 April 10 08:54 BST (UK) »
Agnetta,
             Like you I have come across two marriages for the same couple but they often occurred on the same day and often involved a Registry office. In this case I am afraid that I cannot account for the two dates.
            Should not already know it Samuel Morrison Scott was born in Dungiven district on 28 Sept 1872 to Joseph Scott and Mary Ann Smyth. He had a twin sister, Margaret. Parents married on 27 May 1872 in Bovevagh Presbyterian Church.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Agnetta

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 12 April 10 03:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info in Sammy Scott.A little more detail for the Gibson tree.
Speaking of Gibsons does this ring any bells for your research?
Mary Ann Gibson b 1889 married John Moore in 1910They had one daughter Elizabeth (k/a Betty)bc 1912, who married a man called ?? Morrison.They had no children.
Betty was my late husbands cousin.Mary Ann Gibson and Margaret (Gibson) Harper were sisters.  Agnetta