Author Topic: SIM  (Read 1527 times)

Offline Dingross

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SIM
« on: Friday 08 November 13 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have information about Elizabeth Jane Sim (m.s. Benny) who was born in October 1853 in Denny, Stirlingshire.  She married James Sim on 24th June 1879 and had 7 children:

William James Benny Sim (1880-1942) Dundee/Glasgow
Ann Sim (October 17th - 20th 1881) Dundee
Robert Sim (1883-1965) Renfrew/ Broughty Ferry/ British Army/ Lancashire
Annie Sim (1885-1927) Renfrew/ Coupar Angus/ Govan/Glasgow
Janet Benny Sim (aka "Jessie") (1888-1970) Dundee /Broughty Ferry/ Wallesey, Cheshire
Donald Sim (1892-1955) Broughty Ferry/ Royal Engineers/ Birkenhead
David Taylor Sim (1893-1972) Broughty Ferry/ Wallesey.

She was in Broughty Ferry in the 1891 census but I can't find her in the 1901 or 1911 censuses.  She was still in Broughty Ferry in 1893 when the youngest child was born, but I don't know what became of her thereafter.

The family may have split up - some of the children were living with grandparents in earlier censuses and the 3 youngest children, as adults, were all in the Wallesey/Birkenhead area while the two oldest (surviving) children lived in Scotland as adults in Glasgow and Dundee.

Robert I think settled in Southport

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: SIM
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 November 13 09:54 GMT (UK) »
A possible death record, although the age is slightly out:

Elizabeth J SIM, aged 74, d. Mar Q 1931.  (Birkenhead 8a 823)
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dingross

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SIM
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 November 13 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, this is the one - I've received a copy of the death registration now and the address at which she died is that of her daughter, Janet Benny Sim (later Rogers then Bomford) and the death was registered by her son, David Taylor Sim.

I've also discovered that she was in Dundee in November 1901 - when son, Donald, was admitted to Dundee Industrial School.

I just have to find out now when she moved to England. I've still not found her in the 1911 census - even allowing for the discrepancy in reported ages.