Author Topic: Bower family of Terrington  (Read 2350 times)

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Bower family of Terrington
« on: Friday 27 June 14 18:34 BST (UK) »
I'm just revisiting one of my lines that I have been stuck on for years hoping someone may be able to help

My 2 x gt grandfather was William Potts born 1805. On his baptism entry it states his father was George Potts and mother Mary Bower daughter of William Bower of Terrington.  George Potts & Mary married in Brafferton in 1798.  I have been through Terrington records (up to 1812) and there are several references to Bowers, but no Mary baptised.  Looking at the information I have found  it looks like Mary's parents could have been William Bower and Susannah who had several children baptised in Langton (about 10 miles from Terrington )  and 1 child baptised in Terrington.  Susannah Bower was buried in Terrington in 1794. 
So I am looking for a baptism for Mary Bower c 1770 to William  and also a marriage for a William Bower and Susannah or anything else regarding this family.

Thanks
Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bower family of Terrington
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 June 14 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol....I think Terrington is in North Yorkshire.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 June 14 07:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol

Yes I think you're right.  I looked up Langton and that was East Yorkshire, so I thought Terrington was the same.  Thanks - still can't find them though !

Carol

Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Warwickshire - Russon

Offline Jaime2013

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 October 14 22:14 BST (UK) »
hello i have found out a member of my family married into the Bower family and was married in Terrington. Francis married Sarah Leckonby/ Leckenby in 1818 and had 3 children all died in 1923. They are married with Sarah parents John and Sarah in Whorlton, Yorkshire.

I was wondering if you know anything about this family
I am looking for
Leckonby (Yorkshire)
Betteridge (Yorkshire)
Goodwin (Yorkshire)
Madden (Yorkshire)
Hall (Tyne and Wear)
Scoins (Yorkshire)

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 October 14 13:20 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have come across your family in my own research, but not sure how it fits in.
My Bower connection is a little further back when my 3 x Gt Grandmother, Mary Bower, married George Potts at Brafferton in 1798.  On one of their children baptism entry in 1805 it states Mary Bower was the daughter of William Bower of Terrington.  There are Bowers in Terrington around that time, but I have never been able to get any further back. 

Carol

Edit -  They may be a connection with the Bowers of Langton by Malton.  There are several children baptised to a William & Susannah.  There is a burial of a Susannah wife of William buried at Terrington in 1794.  Might be worth more research
Warwickshire - Russon