Author Topic: Leak, William and Anne (Cross)  (Read 5528 times)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Leak, William and Anne (Cross)
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 02 August 14 09:25 BST (UK) »
There is a tree on Ancestry, that has a 12 page type-written History of the Leak Family in Australia!

William emigrated in 1864.
Ann and 2 infants emigrated in December the same year.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 02 August 14 09:46 BST (UK) »
Some of those trees are 'pick and mix' with their folk!

There is this in 1841

1841 Piece 1219/ folio 8/ page 9

Transcribed as Leale
Clay Field Nun Burnholme

William Leak 70 yrs Farmer
Ann 30 yrs
Mary 12 yrs
William 11 yrs
Sarah 6 yrs

All born in county

There are two servants plus a Sarah Lee 83 yrs in next entry but same address

This monumental inscription would fit with the above couple but I can't work out the Ann Smith reference.

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
  • Burg Crest Schleswig-Holstein
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 August 14 08:01 BST (UK) »
Dear Chatters all;
What with mistranscription errors as well as the on-going confusion over the various names, I am most grateful to you for finding what you have done.
Ok- the migrant son to Australia was
William John Leak; born 1831 at Nunburnholm, m 31 Dec 1860 at Nunburnholm Anne Cross; d 14 Aug 1889 at Benalla, Victoria, Aus. (as from family records but no references as yet.) All children born at or near Benalla, Victoria.
Your baptism reference looks good: Baptism, 5th September 1830  at Nunburnholme
William Leak, son of William & Anne.
Your reference Marriage, December qtr 1860 Pocklington district vol 9d, page 165; helps confirm date of marriage; thank you.
The migration date 1864 is correct according to family records on the 'Florence Nightingale' to Port Phillip (he became a cordial manufacturer.)

WJ Leak's father was William Leak, married Anne Lee 27 Feb 1828 at Nunburnholm, for which we have a photocopy from the church register.

Have come across these:
1834 Electoral Roll for the parish of Nunburnholme: 4976: Leak, William; Nunburnholme; Freehold house and land; Low Field Farm. and also :-  East Yorkshire Monumental Inscription booklet covering Nunburnholme: "Ann Smith (late wife of William Leak) who died 12 Dec 1863 aged 60 interred at Brampton, Canada West/North America.." (veiwed 1 Aug 2014; Rootschat, entered Tuesday 10 May 11 23:03 BST (UK) by 'Zephyr'. Presumably this is the William who died pre-1851.
Thanks to the following guess I hazarded his birth at c1809; but now will revise that assumption.

I see from FreeBDM there is death Sep Qtr 1843 at Pocklington - that looks a likely candidate - what do you reckon?

FreeBDM has Deaths, East Yorkshire Vol 9d page 91; 1890 for William at Sculcoates, East Yorkshire; but perhaps your better find is 1851 census: Class: HO107; Piece: 2321; Folio: 931; Page: 12 at 2 Grove Terrace, Leeds, Yorkshire; Leak, Ann  Head  Widow  F  48  Annuitant  b Elmsthorpe along with the two children William John and (Sarah) Anne.

with many thanks
Schleswig-Holstein:- Rathgen; Rathjen; Oelkers; Behnke; Scheel; Rothgarn; Normanns; Scotland:- Lindsay

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 03 August 14 09:11 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

Your suppositions re the deaths and monumental inscriptions together with the Leeds census were supported earlier in the posts.
1841 looks to be your family.
As I said earlier, the 'Smith' reference is puzzling. I don't understand the reference you make to Brampton, Canada etc. ???
I can't quite read the headstone but her name is clear.

Heywood

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 August 14 05:45 BST (UK) »
Dear Heywood,
Thanks very much for your help.
I guess that Anne may well have married Smith after William Leak died, (certainly young enough to wish for a second husband) and perhaps her new husband and she migrated to Canada - there are plenty of Canadian Leaks available. She may also have waited until her children migrated to Australia - another avenue to search another time - all pure speculation at this time.
Certainly a hearty thanks to you anyway.
Schleswig-Holstein:- Rathgen; Rathjen; Oelkers; Behnke; Scheel; Rothgarn; Normanns; Scotland:- Lindsay

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 04 August 14 08:23 BST (UK) »
Yes I think you must be right. I can't read the bottom part of the headstone and now I realise why I can't see her in 1861.

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 04 August 14 11:06 BST (UK) »
Spoke with a ember of the family today - the family myth is that Anne did marry a Smith. They think Smith had earlier migrated to Canada, then returned to Yorkshire where he met and married Anne before taking her with him back to Canada. That's another search.
Thanks again for your help.

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 03:50 BST (UK) »
William Leak's first marriage was to Anne Davidson. They had a daughter, Alice Leak, born 1853 at Pocklington, died 1878 Pocklington. I notice FreeCen has yet to transcribe the 1861 and 1871 Pocklington returns - please could somebody look up the 1861 and 1871 Census for Pocklington to advise about Alice Leak?
There is another Alice at a different location in East Yorkshire, and she is described there as the granddaughter; so am checking if the Alice I seek is the same or different.
with thanks

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 12:45 BST (UK) »
William Leak's first marriage was to Anne Davidson. They had a daughter, Alice Leak, born 1853 at Pocklington, died 1878 Pocklington. I notice FreeCen has yet to transcribe the 1861 and 1871 Pocklington returns - please could somebody look up the 1861 and 1871 Census for Pocklington to advise about Alice Leak?
There is another Alice at a different location in East Yorkshire, and she is described there as the granddaughter; so am checking if the Alice I seek is the same or different.
with thanks

For duplicate post see www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=731839.0
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)