Author Topic: Boy or Girl?  (Read 2802 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Boy or Girl?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 22:26 BST (UK) »

I thought that only applied to babies Roger.. but maybe I was wrong  ??? Thank you both for your suggestions but I think it is a girl too.
Carol
No Carol, throughout life and in archaeology after death too!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 22:41 BST (UK) »
Difficult, as the brows are not clearly visible. Brow ridges are used by archaeologists to determine the sex when other features are not readily visible and DNA tests are precluded usually for cost reasons. I have found this feature very useful "sexing" the subjects of photographs.

No, you can't reliably sex the skull of a child.  The sex-related features don't develop until puberty.

Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 22:55 BST (UK) »
I think she's a girl too and it looks like the hair is parted on the "girl's side"
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 09 April 14 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hi, to be honest, I think, (Dare I say it?) she? has that "Go and stand in the corner" look, that little girls tend to give adults.  ;D

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 09 April 14 10:35 BST (UK) »
Yes Frank...I know what you mean....Two things made me wonder....the size of the hands...and the heavy brow as Roger suggested....but I ruled that out as I thought that was only apparent in babies.
Thanks again for your input...I guess opinion is heavily stacked towards a girl  ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 09 April 14 15:41 BST (UK) »
Difficult, as the brows are not clearly visible. Brow ridges are used by archaeologists to determine the sex when other features are not readily visible and DNA tests are precluded usually for cost reasons. I have found this feature very useful "sexing" the subjects of photographs.

No, you can't reliably sex the skull of a child.  The sex-related features don't develop until puberty.
When I find it I will post a photo of myself taken aged 6 months. Brow ridges of Neanderthal proportions!!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 09 April 14 15:56 BST (UK) »
Not disputing you had big brows for a baby but they would have been similar if you had been a girl too. Just saying archaeologists can't sex the skulls or skeletons of young children.  Lots on the web on this topic.

PS I think it's a girl too because of that silly hat thing she's wearing.
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline Nettie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • You can choose your friends but not your relations
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 10 April 14 11:05 BST (UK) »
For my 2 cents worth  - a girl.
Researching: Cronin / Nolan - Gortadrislig, Kerry
Finn/Clifford - Callinafercy and Scort, Kerry
Spillane - Milltown
Also:- Byrne / Tyrrell - Dublin

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 10 April 14 11:45 BST (UK) »
Girl from me too.  The hair is flicked out and little boys didn't do that by themselves.  Nature teaches little girls things.

;D
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos