Author Topic: Thomas and Agnes McVeigh of Belfast  (Read 8295 times)

Offline Rosniak

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas and Agnes McVeigh of Belfast
« on: Wednesday 01 January 14 18:50 GMT (UK) »
I have recently made a bit of progress on one of my family lines that had previously been eluding me but it has led me to another brick wall.

Thomas McVeigh (1831-1900) was my 3xgreat grandfather and all I knew from his son William John's marriage certificate is that he was a labourer. For the last few years I have studied all Thomas McVeighs in Belfast area to see how many I could find at the time and I have concluded that only one Thomas had a son William John (1850-1911) and therefore that Thomas has to be my ancestor.

I have now found Thomas' burial in City Cemetery in 1900 and William John put a death notice in the Belfast Telegraph. He lived at 54 Joseph Street and this address has lead me to discover that Thomas also had a daughter Agnes who married James McAllister in 1888. James died 1901 and she died 1911.

Only today I have discovered that in the early 1880s Thomas lived further down the road at 37 Joseph Street, where his wife Agnes (1830-1880) and bachelor son Robert (1859-1886) died and from this house were both buried in public graves.

I am now trying to establish Agnes' surname and have come across two Thomas McVeighs who were married to Agnes/Nancy. As both my Thomas and Agnes were born about 1830, they couldn't have married before 1845 and therefore a marriage certificate should exist to get me a generation further back.

The first one I have found is Thomas McVey of Ballymena who married Agnes McVeigh in Ballymena 3rd Presbyterian Church in 1852. I have found three children for this couple: Nancy (1853), James (1856) and John (1859). I suspect this marriage isn't the right one as Agnes/Nancy's birth is nine years too early and a John was born the year that James (in my family) should have been. This remains a possibility however as perhaps there was a second Nancy born in 1862.

So then there is the other Thomas McVeigh who married Agnes/Nancy McAdorey (or McIldorey or McDory) and had four children in Glenarm - Rose (1864), Jane (1869), Male (1871), Hugh (1874). This could be the right family however I can't find a marriage certificate for this couple anywhere under any combination of surnames I have tried. For a couple still to be having children until 1874 there has to have been a marriage certificate completed as their marriage must have been after 1845. Are some Glenarm weddings missing from the General Registry Office? The information on this certificate and date of wedding would reveal if this is the right wedding or not and if these were my ancestors. Can anyone help?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas McVeigh and Agnes McAdorey Glenarm
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 January 14 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Civil registration of Catholic marriages began in 1864- from 1845 for non-Catholic marriages.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Rosniak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 January 14 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that...but I believe this was a Presbyterian marrisage as both Thomas and Agnes were classed as such when buried in Belfast City Cemetery.

I have been to PRONI and discovered a family born to James McVey and Nancy Barr in Ballymena - 8 children from 1819 to 1839 including a Thomas born in 1826. I suspect this could be right but I wasn't able to find the birth of a William John McVeigh at all.

Didn't find any McVeighs at Glenarm Presbyterian.

So not much further on...yet. Any ideas?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 January 14 23:17 GMT (UK) »
It's not uncommon to find one or more of a family 'missing' from a baptismal register- especially when the child's details would likely have been entered a while after the event. Have you checked to see if there's a gap in the register where you suspect William John should be listed?

Even though Thomas & Agnes were buried as Presbyterian Agnes might have been raised in a different religion. Marriages usually take place in the bride's church so they might not have been married in a Presbyterian church.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Rosniak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 January 14 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, I'll check out any potential gap.

Offline Rosniak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas McVeigh and Agnes McVeigh Ballymena
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 May 14 01:46 BST (UK) »
I am still trying to work out my McVeigh/McVey family and have come to the conclusion that my McVeighs came from Ballymena and that Thomas and Agnes who married in 1852 are the couple I am after.

I cannot see any other solution to my puzzle. I have decided to try to work out a large family tree for all the McVeighs connected to this Ballymena family and revisit the tree to ensure that I am on the right track.

Anyone with connections to McVeighs from Ballymena now seems to be on my radar as both Thomas McVeigh and Agnes McVeigh (my 3xgreat grandparents) were both of the same surname and of the same location. I think all McVeighs in the area probably link to this family one way or another. There are 81 marriages from 1864 to 1910ish in the Ballymena area for McVeigh/McVey surname.

All help welcome!

Offline Dorothy Arcand

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 August 14 21:38 BST (UK) »
My father's mother is Agnes/Nancy McVeigh. I believe my grandmother is the Agnes you speak of in one of your posts.  She was married to James McAllister.  They had four children; Thomas born 1891, Samuel born 1892, William (my father) born 1894, Robert born 1897.  I have a certified copy of my father's birth certificate from Ireland.  This certificate lists their address as 47 Joseph St. in Belfast.  This would put them fairly close to Agnes’ father at 54 Joseph St.  According to the 1911 census, they were living at 34 Kendall Street, (Woodvale Ward, Antrim). 
My father told me his eldest brother Thomas joined the British Navy and was never heard from again except for a post-card from Thomas many, many years later. 
Samuel emigrated to Canada, living most of his life in Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada. I am not sure of the year, but it was probably around 1909-ish.  It was before Agnes died in 1911.  Samuel married Sadie (Sarah) (surname unknown, may be able to contact a cousin).  Sam and Sadie had two Daughters.
My father William emigrated to Canada after his mother died but before WWI broke out.  I have a picture of him (working as a painter) in front of Hamilton Hospital (also in Ontario).  He joined the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF) in August, 1915.  Both my father and my uncle Sam served overseas.  After the war, Sam returned to Ontario.  My father at some point moved to Quebec, Canada where he met and married my mother Helen Yorke. They lived in the city of Lachine (a suburb of Montreal) the rest of their lives.
FYI to your earlier posts; I have a bible that was presented to my father in 1912 from the Crimea Street Sunday School.  He told me he was Presbyterian, and that is also what he listed on his Attestation Paper for joining the CEF.  In this bible (in his own hand writing) he wrote his mother’s birth year (1863) and her date of death, 6 March, 1911.  Also that his brother Robert (born 1897) died January 1911

Offline Rosniak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 August 14 02:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Dorothy!

Thanks so much for your fantastic response and wonderful information, its a dream come true to hear from you. It is now very late at night over here but I had to reply to your message before I go to bed.

You are my grandfather's second cousin which makes me your second cousin twice removed. Our branch of the family has remained in Belfast where I live. William John McVeigh was Agnes McAllister's elder brother and he married Margaret Black in 1875. They had 8 children, two of whom emigrated to Quebec! I wonder if they ever met up with your father there?

The names of the two who emigrated were Samuel McVeigh - he married Ethel Greer before they left Belfast. They settled in Toronto where they were living in 1921 with children Samuel, Thomas and Stanley.

Samuel's sister Edith Brown McVeigh emigrated to Quebec in 1921, I have some pictures that she sent home of her family, probably taken in the 1940s. As far as I know she settled in Toronto. Her husband was in the Canadian army and paid a visit to her relatives in Belfast during the war but none of my surviving relatives remember his surname, just that he was 'Bill'.

So you have some Canadian relatives you probably didn't know about.

That is great that you have the family bible. As well as being a family heirloom, it is fabulous that you father wrote in the dates he did. Agnes' birth year fits perfectly with the 1901 census. I checked up quickly and there does not appear to be any registration of Robert's death in official records.

I think you have to post three messages on rootschat before we are able to send each other private messages through rootschat and exchange email addresses. I have some photos to show you and it will be interesting to see if you can see any resemblance with another on your side of the family.

Thanks again for getting in touch, it means a lot to me!

Your Irish cousin Martin

Offline Dorothy Arcand

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas and Agnes McVeigh of Belfast
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 September 14 03:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Cousin Martin ,
 This greeting meant so much to me - it meant I have relatives in Ireland of my Father's family.  I have only one (or thought I had) - a granddaughter of my Uncle Sam.  She is another Nancy and lives in Ottley, England - she also has a son Sam.  I too named my eldest daughter Nancy.
When I last corresponded with you I was in New Hampshire visiting my daughter who is also interested in family history.  She has a good photo shop program on her computer and has enlarged and enhanced some of the old pictures I have of William and Samuel.  They are quite good.  I look forward to exchanging photos with you to see if there are family resemblances.

I was looking through my Father's army paybook again and he states as next of kin a Mrs. Rebbeca Tipping of 142 Crimea Street, Belfast as his aunt.  Do you know if this might be a sister of his mother, Agnes?  He also mentions another aunt, a Mrs. Margaret Campbell (I can't make out the street) Belfast.

I am rather new at this family history but I think I will look into the names of family that immigrated to Quebec and Ontario.

My father and Samuel never returned to Ireland for a visit except during the war and they both spent a leave there for a few days.  Would you believe they met there on a street - neither knew the other would be there.  My sister and I have visited Ireland.  We were on a bus tour for two weeks at the end of May and first week of June 2008.  It was a great tour and the weather was just great.  We only spent one day in Belfast (it was a Sunday)  We had a walking tour and wondered if we were anywhere near where our father grew up.

Do we need to post one more message before we can exchange email addresses?  I am quite anxious to see your photos.