Author Topic: I'm still trying to sort out my Picks and Allens  (Read 8865 times)

Offline Tuggybear

• RootsChat Member
  • The future is all about the past
    • View Profile
I'm still trying to sort out my Picks and Allens
« on: Monday 28 April 14 11:50 BST (UK) »
I have established that my William Pick born about 1799 in Scalford, Leicestershire (though I can't trace this birth :-\) was living in Saltby around the time of his marriage to a Frances Pick in Scalford on 25th February 1811. Frances gave birth to their first child, Thomas, on 8th June 1811 in Saltby and he was christened in Saltby the following day.
I am now labouring under the assumption that Frances Allen was possibly Fanny Allen born 1787 to Robert Allen and Frances Simpson and that, somehow, Robert, who was a mason, was related to Amos who was a farmer and that William was working as a farm servant for Amos when he met Fanny.
I can't be certain of this as the Scalford parish register shows Fanny as being Frances and doesn't appear to list her as being from Saltby. I also can't trace Amos's parentage so that i can link him with Robert.
Can anyone help or give me some idea of the next step to take please.  :)
Knight, Bates, Newton, Pick,Perkins, Marshall, North, Kilby, Beckett, Prince.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: I'm still trying to sort out my Picks and Allens
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 April 14 11:56 BST (UK) »
I think you need to recheck dates

If William married Frances in 1811, he would not have been born around 1799, as that would make him only about 12.

Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 May 14 23:03 BST (UK) »
There are several Wm Pick's and of course he may have not been born in Leicestershire. Do you have him on census and if so where does he say he was born ???

William Pick bap 26 May 1789 Melton Mowbray parents Wm and Ann Pick
Maybe this is the one in the 1861 census b.1787 Market Overton, Leicestershire who is living in Scalford married to Elizabeth who is 4 years older

William Pick born 15 November 1786 bap 20 November 1786 Great Dalby parents John & Ann Pick
It looks like this one was in 1841 census in Belgrave, Leicestershire

William Pick born 30 August 1783 bap 31 August 1783 Great Dalby parents Wm and Mary Pick
and this one in 1861 is in St Margarets, Leicester
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline mareanna

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 May 14 19:43 BST (UK) »
I'm not saying this is correct :P but I have William Pick b 24 March 1792 Market Overton, Rutland marrying Frances Allen on that date - 25 February 1811 at Scalford.  William marries two more times in 1826 and 1831?

From that I have William's parents as John Pick and Elizabeth Baker, marrying 9 February 1778, Market Overton.  William was one of ten children.

mareanna
Weston/Wesson, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire & Leicestershire
Merriman - Stanford on Soar, Canada & Australia
Antill and Wood-Antill, in Mountsorrel, Leicestershire, Caernarfonshire, Canada & New Zealand
Bamford, Northamptonshire & Derbyshire
Baum
Curtis
Richards
Elwin
Locker
Robinson
Langham
Langsdale
Ferguson - Ireland and Devon
Bamford
Newbold
Dobie - Dumfriesshire & Co Durham
Jones, incl Broster Jones and Tyzack Jones
Scranton, Philadelphia

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 May 14 20:24 BST (UK) »
Have you got this marriage

Saltby   08-Jun   1797   Lic.   
Amos   Allen   Of this parish Bach   27 Farmer
Sarah Ash    Of this parish Spin   22      
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline Tuggybear

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 18:06 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, firstly may I apologise for my absence, a son with appendicitis and a very sick horse have claimed my attention over the last few weeks, which along with sorting out guest lists for my other son's forthcoming pagan wedding has had me completely muddled.  :-[
many thanks for your replies. Lizdb, yes, I realised that William must have been born earlier that the date I've given and meant to put 1790. Brain and fingers in different gears there I think!  :)
Thanks Iluleah, I think I've discounted those Williams and am even more sure now that I've seen Mareanna's reply. I completely discounted William from Market Overton as other researchers had William born in Scalford and his ancestry going back to a Thomas Pick of Thorpe Satchville and his wife Susannah. Of course it never occurred to me that Williams parents or grandparents could have moved to Rutland (being farm labourers they would have changed employers yearly when unmarried.) I actually think you have something there. Was William's second wife named Mary Johnson of Saxelby (where the wedding took place.) I also discounted this as the marriage date precedes the christening of France's last child in 1827. If so I think it is most probably that you have found my William for me for which I will be eternally gratefull.
Thanks Willsy, I didn't have Amos's marriage date nor Sarah's surname, this will make it easier to trace a link with Robert hopefully.
Such great support on this site, thanks again everyone.

Offline mareanna

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 19:01 BST (UK) »
IGI has William Pick marrying Jane Hoe 20 December 1826 in Scalford and Elizabeth Ward (a widow) on 18 June, again in Scalford. 

What may not fit is a son William Christened 9 September 1827 in Scalford, son of William and Frances.  Either William was Christened late or the year of the wedding to Jane should be 1828 not 1826  ???

It really needs a further check on the original documents (or a will or MIs), but it's too far from me in Bristol  :(

mareanna

Weston/Wesson, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire & Leicestershire
Merriman - Stanford on Soar, Canada & Australia
Antill and Wood-Antill, in Mountsorrel, Leicestershire, Caernarfonshire, Canada & New Zealand
Bamford, Northamptonshire & Derbyshire
Baum
Curtis
Richards
Elwin
Locker
Robinson
Langham
Langsdale
Ferguson - Ireland and Devon
Bamford
Newbold
Dobie - Dumfriesshire & Co Durham
Jones, incl Broster Jones and Tyzack Jones
Scranton, Philadelphia

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 19:14 BST (UK) »
The info to confirm IGI a little bit more

Scalford   30-Dec   1826   Banns
William    Pick   OTP      Wid      
Jane   Hoe   OTP      Spin   

Scalford   18-Jun   1831   Banns   
William    Pick   OTP      Wid      
Elizabeth   Ward   OTP      Wid   
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline Tuggybear

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 10:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Mareanna and Willsy. The additional information has shone a little more light on my William and his wives.
As I understand it then the banns were read for William and Jane for three weeks prior to 30.12.1826. The same would also apply to William and Elizabeth in 1831.
It seems that Frances was buried at St Egelwyn's in Scalford on 11th September 1826 so she presumably died some time between 4th and 11th September of that year. Their son Benjamin was born or christened in 1826 followed by William who was christened in 1827.
Given this it would seem most likely that Benjamin was born in 1825 or at the beginning of 1826 and Frances fell pregnant with William shortly after. It is also likely that she died giving birth to William and that his christening was therefore delayed until the following year. With a new born baby to look after, I wonder if a wet nurse was used. Jane would obviously have become step-mother to the younger children.
It would most probably have been young William who married Mary Ann Johnson of Saxelby. They lived with Old William and Elizabeth in 1841 and next door to them 10 years later (I think I have those dates right.) Things do begin to make more sense now.
I can't find any proof that Frances Allen was actually the daughter of Robert Allen but Fanny Allen seems to have disappeared and Old William was most definitely in Saltby around the time of the wedding. It seems quite likely that he got the Stone mason's daughter in trouble and then married her. Fanny may have just taken on the full version of her name or maybe the vicar decided Fanny was just a nickname and used what he thought was her full name.
Thanks again both.  :)