Author Topic: Gordon family St Rollox district , Glasgow 1890,s , help needed  (Read 14476 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Gordon family St Rollox district , Glasgow 1890,s , help needed
« Reply #18 on: Friday 28 February 14 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Things happened by the 1861 census... :-\

Basil Gordon, 17, b. Aberdeen, shoemaker in the 'Boys House of Refuge' in Glasgow.

Were William, seaman, father and Elizabeth Middleton still showing as alive when David married in 1856?

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rayjamgor

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 28 February 14 21:28 GMT (UK) »
 :( would that be poorhouse of borstal type institution ?  William was listed as deceased on 1856 wedding cert.  so you think the perth link is throwing  you off the trail .
Gordon, Taylor , Little, Clark, McInnes/McGinnes ,Roch,Roche, Millar/Miller, Welsh,Walsh, Stewart, Kennedy, McDonald, Brown, McLachlan , Orr, McMillan, McDonagh, Middleton, Robertson, Livingstone, Duff, Hunter, McClean, Campbell, Brown ,Cummings ,Roy, Wade ,Smith , Kelly,Kennedy,McDonald.

Offline pocketslint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 28 February 14 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi, can I ask where you guy's are posting from? I'm in Glasgow, WW

Offline tumbleweed

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 01 March 14 03:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ray and Monica I am not sure if this family is the same one as my husbands. Though I have been doing research on mine I have not done any on his family yet. But when I saw the names I stopped to look and saw similar names to his family.

His mother Annie Wright Gordon was born 1909 in Dobbie's Loan near Georges Cross in the Cowcaddens. Later her family moved to Lambhill.

Her father was Alex Gordon. Her mother was Margaret Wright. This was Margaret's second marriage as she was widowed young and had no family in the first marriage.

Her siblings were Alex - Catherine - then Annie - John - Isobel - Elizabeth - Margaret - William.

As you can see a few of the names are the same as Ray's family. I can find out more info. if there is a possible connection.
Mary

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 01 March 14 10:55 GMT (UK) »
:( would that be poorhouse of borstal type institution ?  William was listed as deceased on 1856 wedding cert.  so you think the perth link is throwing  you off the trail .

All sorts of reasons why Basil would show there (not really indicating borstal type issues). He could have been an orphan (did mother Elizabeth Middleton show as deceased in 1856 when David married, or just father William?). Or maybe just things got complicated regarding his care, one way or another  :-\ For general info, www.workhouses.org.uk/IS/Scotland.shtml

I can see one death on the index for an Elizabeth Gordon/Middleton and this was for a 79yr old Elizabeth who died in 1902. If her, the age is wrong. The problem from just looking at the index for deaths of married women is that you cannot tell just from the index which way round were the names. For example, this Elizabeth's maiden name might be Gordon and her married name Middleton. It is the only one that shows though that comes anywhere close (not in Lanarkshire though but in Aberdeenshire).

Regarding David's birth place on the 1871 census, the transcript did show Perth (maybe original different). We think we have him in 1851 with his family. Will try and find him in 1861 to see what that says...

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 01 March 14 11:09 GMT (UK) »
David and family in England already by 1861 in Westgate, Newcastle upon Tyne - won't help with birth place in Scotland as mostly only 'Scotland' was shown on the censuses in England.

David Gordon 26 Plasterer b. Scotland
Cathern Gordon 25 b. Scotland
Elizabeth Gordon 9 months b. Scotland

I am struggling with the 1881. You would think that they remained in Scotland where we had them for 1871.

Just in case it helps with names etc at any point, apart from young Elizabeth that we had born in 1860 in Glasgow and the boys in England in the 1860s, these other births show on family search index. Likely the early born may have died young given we haven't seen them in the early censuses we have for the family:

Ann McLachlan 1857 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQDB-B57
Lauchlan 1858 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQDB-B57

The last birth I can see after 1871 is this one:

James 1872 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQP4-D5H

On John Gordon's 1888 marriage, did parents David and Catherine show as alive or deceased? ( :P Sorry you said earlier David's occupation as ironwork labourer and doesn't say deceased on the marriage entry).

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 01 March 14 11:37 GMT (UK) »
A likely death in 1890 on the SP index for David's wife/John's mother:

Catherine McLachlan/Gordon, aged 54, died in Dennistoun in 1890.

Can only really see 3 likely deaths for David post 1871.

1889 aged 51 in St Rollox (a maybe given your John and family were in this area then?)

1891 aged 54 in Camlachie

1900 aged 60 in Partick

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 01 March 14 13:34 GMT (UK) »

His mother Annie Wright Gordon was born 1909 in Dobbie's Loan near Georges Cross in the Cowcaddens. Later her family moved to Lambhill.

Her father was Alex Gordon. Her mother was Margaret Wright. This was Margaret's second marriage as she was widowed young and had no family in the first marriage.

Her siblings were Alex - Catherine - then Annie - John - Isobel - Elizabeth - Margaret - William.

Hi Mary

Have you managed to find the marriage cert for Alexander Gordon and Margaret Wright? On the Gordon side, would let you confirm Alexander's parents to see whether you have a connection to this Gordon line. See what you mean about Annie's siblings' names though.

I think John's brother Alexander, who showed as witness to the 1888 marriage for brother John, may have been married twice by the time of the 1901 census? Going by birth place on the census for 1891/1901:

Alex Gordon 28 iron moulder b. England
Jane Gordon 25 b. Springburn, Lanarkshire
John W Gordon 1 b. Springburn, Lanarkshire
James Pollock 23 boarder

Address: 16 John Carrick, Glasgow Barony/Dennistoun

And then 1901:

Alexander Gordon 38 iron moulder b. England
Wilhilmina Gordon 27 b. Glasgow
John Gordon 16 b. Glasgow (age would need to be checked as he shows aged 1 in 1891)

Address: 9 Reid St, Glasgow Springburn/Dennistoun

I haven't viewed his details on SP to confirm his parents etc. but looks a good possibility for Alexander at this stage.

Monica

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 01 March 14 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Annie Wright Gordon (29 JUL 1909 Milton) mother was Margaret Forrester she was previously married to Andrew Dallas (1904) and then Alexander in 1905.  Alexander's mother was Annie Wright.  I have a Gordon/Wright family out of Bonhill and I downloaded this registration a few years ago as well as other Gordon/Wright families to see if there was a connection to mine. If you wish a copy send me a PM with your email. 

There was one other Annie Wright Gordon in this time frame b 12 AUG 1892 in Gorbals daughter of John and Sarah Wright.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.