Author Topic: Marriage in 1850's  (Read 969 times)

Offline Ripper

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage in 1850's
« on: Wednesday 16 July 14 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hello
Could someone help me, I need to know how much a marriage licence cost in 1850 in England
Thanks in advance

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage in 1850's
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 July 14 01:00 BST (UK) »
I haven't found the 1850 cost, but the Marriage and Registration Act 1856 Section X: states:
Form of Licence for Marriage.  The Form of a Licence for Marriage so to be granted as aforesaid to any Party or Parties, by the Superintendent Registrar of any District as aforesaid, shall be in the Form or to the Effect of the Licence set forth in Schedule (C.) to this Act annexed; and for every such Licence the Superintendent Registrar granting the same shall be entitled to have and receive of the Party requiring the same the Sum of One Pound Ten Shillings, over and above the Amount paid for the Stamps necessary on granting such Licence.

Section XXIV gives the cost of searching and providing a copy of a certificate:
The Registrar General, on Payment to him of the several Fees herein-after mentioned, shall allow Searches to be made in the Returns so made to him as aforesaid, and shall give to any Person demanding the same a certified Copy thereof or Extract therefrom with respect to any Place of Meeting for Religious Worship contained therein; and every such certified Copy or Extract shall be sealed or stamped with the Seal of the General Register Office, and when so sealed or stamped as aforesaid, if tendered in Evidence upon any Trial or other judicial Proceeding in any Civil or Criminal Court, shall be received as Evidence of the Place of Meeting therein mentioned or described having been at the Time in that Behalf therein stated duly certified and registered or recorded as by Law required, without any further or other Proof of the same ; and the Registrar General shall be entitled to demand and receive for every Search in the said Returns extending over a Period of not more than Ten Years the Sum of One Shilling, and for every additional Period of Ten Years the Sum of Sixpence, and the further Sum of Two Shillings and Sixpence for every single certified Copy or Extract.

Hope this helps
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ripper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 July 14 10:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your comprehensive reply Philip

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 July 14 21:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your comprehensive reply Philip

You are most welcome.  Legislation doesn't change - they still wrap up simple concepts in long-winded paragraphs  :-\
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 11:38 BST (UK) »
I need to know how much a marriage licence cost in 1850 in England

This thread may also help ...
http://www.rootschat.com/links/018yx/

The FamilySearch wiki (referred to in the above thread) is here ...
http://www.rootschat.com/links/018yy/
"In 1597 the recommended fee for a license was ten shillings, but Richard Grey, writing in 1730, says that a fee of five shillings was then normal. At the end of the 19th century the fees, including ten shillings' tax, varied from about £2 to £3."