Author Topic: Harewood - John Handley Marriage 1807  (Read 12361 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Harewood - John Handley Marriage 1807
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 August 14 12:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Bolttail,

Harewood is a small village of not more then a few dozen houses  at a road  'T' juction, even today, but there is aswell the Royal house estate hold of Harewood and the servants to the house and land.

The occupations around Harewood village would be farmers. ag labourers and servants of the Royal house of Harewood.

"My mothers parents lived in Derbyshire, and her granny (My Gt Gan) lived in Chesterfield but worked as a domestic servant in Leeds before her marriage and return to Chesterfield to settle to married life. and my granddad's brother was a stagecoach teamster driver who live in Chesterfield but married a woman near Leek in Stafforshire he met there through his job, married in Leek and settle down there after."

Therefore I would suggest John Handley had a job at Harewood house as a servant and went to either his home or his wifes home parish to settle down after marriage in Rotherham or Dronsfield.

Harewood being a Royal House estate ! there maybe records of their servant staff and where they they came  from in archives somewhere.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 August 14 20:13 BST (UK) »
Many thanks 'Dobfam' for the suggestion. Well, if your great grandmother did it, there's no reason why John Handley couldn't have done the same, though it does seem a long way to go to get a job.
Anyway, it does give me another line of enquiry.

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 August 14 20:59 BST (UK) »
Found a John and Jane Handley living in Ainsley Street Hunslet Leeds. 1841 census (H0107/1345b 4/42)
Both aged 60, John is listed as a Malt Barler? (Brewery worker maybe)
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 August 14 21:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Brian (I think). Well, if this couple were the John and Jane that married at Harewood, then I have no marriage for my Dronfield/Treeton/Sheffield couple, which is a bit of a nuisance. I'll have to check the 1851 census in the hope that 'Hunslet Jane' was still alive and recorded as being born elsewhere than Harewood. (Jane Stead probably born Harewood, 11th March 1781).

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 08 August 14 21:38 BST (UK) »
Jane Stead daughter of Joseph and Ann Stead of Dunkeswick born 11th March 1781, baptised 22nd April. - From previously supplied link.
 Brian

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 August 14 21:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Brian. I'll check out 'Hunslett Jane' in the 1851 census, but I'll have to take myself off to the local library. No hurry, I've been getting nowhere with this enquiry for years.

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 08 August 14 21:52 BST (UK) »
Sorry I can't help with the 1851 census, only have the 1841 myself otherwise a walk to library.
 Brian

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 09 August 14 11:25 BST (UK) »
1851 Census  There is a Jane Handley b 1780 Dunkeswich living in Dunkeswich.  Probably the Jane Stead who married John Handley at Harewood All Saints 1807
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 09 August 14 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Goughy,

Well, I think that's about as certain as your ever likely to get, a perfect fit. Was she recorded as a widow? Were any off her offspring (if any) still living with her? Many thanks.