Author Topic: Looking for my 2nd Great Aunts Apprenticeship  (Read 1621 times)

Offline Candidiasia Ibberrson

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for my 2nd Great Aunts Apprenticeship
« on: Sunday 07 September 14 16:52 BST (UK) »
Susan Townley born 14 Dec 1857 West Haddon. On the 13 May 1878 she went to Australia with her sister Harriett.

I have a piece that states There was however a reason why a young woman of twenty two should sail half-way across the world to Sydney, then proceed to what was almost a "far-flung" outpost of the the Empire Miss Townley had relatives in Binnaway district with whom she had come to stay, and when it was discovered that she had completed a pupil-teacher apprenticeship in England she was naturally a prrime candidate for Binnaway's school. 

I am looking for her apprenticeship can anybody help?

Thanks
Candis

Wells of Yorkshire

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for my 2nd Great Aunts Apprenticeship
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 September 14 21:56 BST (UK) »
I've just sought the advice of my wife who is currently researching the history of Freeman's School in Wellingborough.

The apprenticeships were for 5 years. I've just looked at a copy of an Indenture from 1869 ... it was completed and signed by a quorum of school Managers along with the Pupil Teacher's father.
The Indentures my wife has seen were part of the Accessions from the school to the Northamptonshire Record Office.

Hope this helps.
Bryan.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017