Author Topic: Everest 1923  (Read 1685 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Everest 1923
« on: Monday 17 November 14 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Could someone please help me get rid of those two black blobs please?!

Thanks you  :)

Monica

PS: Now that the photo is so big...think there are also two much smaller black dots too!

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Everest 1923
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 November 14 22:11 GMT (UK) »
There you are, black dots removed. There was also a wavy line down the left side which I don't think should be there, so I have removed that too, hope that's OK
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 November 14 22:14 GMT (UK) »
1 from me.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 November 14 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Gosh...Pat, Jim thank you! That was quick. That looks sooo much better!

It is a fab photo, I think. My husband's grandfather worked in those areas through that period. I have a few more scanned. The vast mayority are on an two albums and I cannot bear to try and scan as I think the albums will not cope. So, I am starting with the loose snap shots.

Thanks again  :-*

Monica

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 November 14 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Stunning photo Monical.....so majestic...it's hard to believe that it has claimed so many lives....over 200. I read a great book called "Paths of Glory" by Jeffery Archer based on George Mallory's failed attempt to reach the summit.
Would love to see more.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 November 14 23:16 GMT (UK) »
They were amazing times then. The mountain was, and remains, majestic as you say  :) Below, I will add another photo from a diffent angle.

John's grandad was Superintendent of botanic gardens in the area and then Curator at the Royal Botanic Gardens in Calcutta through that period of 1910-1935. He travelled everywhere, gathering material and sending records back to Kew Gardens.

The albums of photos are amazing. That colonial life in India, with all its grandeur and of that period, together with travels in the area and surrounding countries. I am a happy, confident amateur in terms of scanning and photos. Although I have a vast photo family collection now, for both John and I, I am respectul of these albums and recognise I do not have the kit and machines to scan these photos from there (for now  ;)), and protect the original set.

Frustrated for now...and have to figure out the capture of these photos now as many in the family would like to see them and I love all the sharing photos  :)

I have spoken to Kew Gardens Archives. A very helpful and friendly archivist there. Totally understandable, the family would have to hand over the original material to them for these items to be preserved and maintained...not something that they would like to do as of now.

All ideas welcome as to how I can proceed with this lovely material  ;)

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 November 14 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Another one from there at that time:

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 November 14 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Wow.....another great shot.....there is something magical and mysterious about it isn't there.
What an interesting story and a great and interesting life he must have led...thanks for sharing. If you could borrow a hand held scanner...or see whether the library has one for public use....then I think that would be your best option....or you could photograph them.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 November 14 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Will investigate hand held scanners!

There are two big fat albums (got from John's mother's garage last year, after her death :'( ). Along with all the other photographic glass/35mm slides, negs, photos etc... Heaven for me in terms of archives and photos for next generations of our lot   :)

Have been so busy scanning all the other stuff from his family (his father was a tea plantation manager in Malawi for many years through the 1950-60s). This is the last of the material I need to get my head round... :-\

Monica