Author Topic: Gouldby family around 1911  (Read 4633 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gouldby family around 1911
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 September 14 08:39 BST (UK) »
Found this but not sure how it ties in with date family returned to England.

Death: Frank Gouldby, age 39, died 16 Sept.1913 at Western Hospital (York Co., Ontario), born England, painter?, married, diabetes- diabetic coma (3-4 hours).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 September 14 08:47 BST (UK) »
I think I have her returning to UK (Liverpool) from Quebec  5 Jun 1913 - maybe that fits with the death??

That date seemed puzzling if the 16 Sept.1913 death I found was the correct person but then I found this-

16 Aug.1913 "Teutonic" arrived Quebec, Canada from Liverpool, England:
Jessie Gouldby, 35, married, born England, in Canada before (1913, for 3 yrs), going to Toronto
Mabel, 11
Arthur, 4

So, looks like Jessie & children went back to England for a visit in 1913, arrived back in Canada on 16 August and Frank died a month later? Wonder if she and children came home earlier than originally planned because Frank wasn't well or was it just a terrible co-incidence.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 September 14 01:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Aghadowey.  It makes more sense now, but, my goodness, they flitted back and forth plenty of times on a labourer's wage.

I have Jessie and the two children leaving Liverpool 22 Sep, 1910 (from UK Outward passenger lists).

Jessie (no mention of the children) into Canada, destinationToronto, 10 Nov 1911 (from Canadian Passenger Lists)

And then the 1913 trip to England and the return which you found for me.

I hadn't searched for the corresponding arrivals/departures which has led to to my wrong assumption that Jessie's trip in Jun 1913 was her final return to England - note to self: it doesn't pay to be complacent in genealogy.  :-[

I think the death is almost certainly correct as most of the records show them in Toronto. 

Is the death record on-line?  I mentioned earlier in the thread that Canadian records were easy to search but I couldn't find this death in current on-line records which seem more difficult to access, but it is probably me  ::)

Once again, thank you.  You have helped me before, quite a while ago now,  and obviously many others as well - much appreciated.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 September 14 02:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,

This might help
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/27FS-8TP

Do you need brother Edgar's date of death/obit?   

RK

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 September 14 04:26 BST (UK) »
Oh my - thank you so much, RK.  This confirms that the death put up by Aghadowey is definitely the right man.

Yes I would like Edgar's details.  I have been concentrating on my husband's direct line and haven't looked much for Frank's siblings but I would be very pleased to add them.

Do you think the photo is right - the more I look, the more I think it is not him at all. The label handwriting appears to be that of the child Mabel, (labelling later in life) but she would have only been 14 when her father died so it's very likely that there is a mistake.

Many thanks - Judith

Just as an aside - isn't it sad when you read the causes of death to see so many illnesses which would probably be treatable today.

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 28 September 14 15:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Frank's death record should also be on Ancestry.  I don't have a subscription at the moment, so I can't have a look for you.   

Edgar died on April 23, 1950.   Husband of the late Florrie.  Father of Hilda (Mrs E Dines), Gertrude (Mrs H R Copp), Betty (Mrs T Gallagher), Nora (Mrs C Breedon), the late Mrs Grace Bowins, Queenie (Mrs P Thompson), Edward, Hector, Clifford and the late Jack Gouldby.  Edgar is buried in Mount Pleasant Cemetery. 

It looks like Harriet is sometimes called Florrie.  She died March 11, 1950. 

Very sad for the family that they died so close together!!

RK

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 29 September 14 06:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks RK.

I only have an Australian/UK subscription to Ancestry so I'll have to call in at the local library which has a world-wide sub.

Edgar was born 1874 so he was about 76 when he died.

That has tidied up Frank and Edgar nicely.  My husband's mother was Frank and Jessie's daughter Mabel but I think there was little contact with her husband's relatives after Jessie and the children returned to Lowestoft.

Thanks again, Judith

Once