Author Topic: Kerrs in Beragh, Deroar  (Read 5586 times)

Offline kellsnz

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Kerrs in Beragh, Deroar
« on: Sunday 17 February 13 21:46 GMT (UK) »
I need help :(  And I apologise as my Ireland geography is terrible. I'm not sure if Deroar is seperate to Beragh or one is within another.

I am searching for the family of James Kerr born 1852 & brother William b1845. They arrived in Timiru, New Zealnd in 1875.

I have a letter from James here that talks of his mother catherine, sisters kate and mary, brother John, Joseph & Francis among others.
There is also talk of his fathers family in America. (1911 census has a sister and niece with the surname MAYNES, born in America)

My concern is James and William were born before her marriage to Francis Kerr by 10 years, going by calculations from the 1911 census. I am guessing she got married a second time to Francis Kerr, but I have no idea who her 1st husband was. The surname HARVEY has been given to me, but I don't know if it's her maiden name or her 1st married name.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
May - Surrey. Winter - Surrey. Satherley - Somerset. Smith - Cheshire. Haycock - Montgomeryshire. Sherry - Belfast. Fissenden - Kent. Warwick - Kent. Austen - Kent. Masters - Kent. Gayger - Hampshire. Silvius - Stockholm. Svedberg - Stockholm. Rapson - Cheshire. Coward - Wiltshire.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kerrs in Beragh, Deroar
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 February 13 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Children of Francis Kerr & Catherine Harvey born after the start of birth registration in 1864:
Jane (1865) https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F5YW-YK9
John (1867) https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FPBQ-C5F
Thomas (1869) https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FPYD-5Q1
Mary (1872) https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FPTP-3M2
Patrick (1874) https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FPMX-HR3
Joseph (1876) https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGKM-B8S

There's a townland called Derroar in SeanRuad townland database. Here's the Catherine Kerr household- no sign of husband although Francis says he's married and it's not uncommon to find mistakes in census records:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Tyrone/Mullaghslin/Derroar/845923
Catherine lists 10 children and we have Jane, John, Joseph, Patrick, Mary, Thomas, James, William, Kate and Francis which makes 10.

Ten years earlier the 1901 census gives Catherine's age as 70 (not uncommon to find more than 10 year difference in age between 1901/1911)- and Francis is supposed to be age 90!
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tyrone/Mullaghslin/Derroar/1749434

Just supposition so far but one possibility is that it was Francis Kerr who married twice but James and William considered Catherine Harvey their mother. Other possibilities- Francis' age is off (1901), he's dead in 1911 and Catherine answered the form incorrectly with the number of years they were married before he died (only married woman were supposed to fill in that bit but Catherine is listed as 'read only' so perhaps the person helping her with the form got it muddled.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 February 13 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Derroar/Deroar townland is not far from Beragh- see map

Offline kellsnz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 February 13 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much!  I hadn't considered Francis having being married twice, it would make more sense once I look at the ages again. 

As you have looked at the census and have extesive knowledge, can you see if they are from Derroar or Beragh, as both are written on the form, but I have no idea how to read it properly.

Were marriages/unions not recorded prior to 1865? I cannot find Catherine or Francis' marriage.
May - Surrey. Winter - Surrey. Satherley - Somerset. Smith - Cheshire. Haycock - Montgomeryshire. Sherry - Belfast. Fissenden - Kent. Warwick - Kent. Austen - Kent. Masters - Kent. Gayger - Hampshire. Silvius - Stockholm. Svedberg - Stockholm. Rapson - Cheshire. Coward - Wiltshire.

Offline kellsnz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 February 13 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Also in both 1901 & 1911 census' there are servants with the household, can it be assumed that they are servants to this household, not to another but living with the Kerrs as boarders?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 February 13 00:41 GMT (UK) »
The townland is given as Derroar in each census (1901 & 1911) and that would be the 'address of the family' but Beragh is the nearest village and likely their local post office so they might have included that in forms, when addressing envelopes, etc.
If you look at the census forms it lists 'relation to head of family' so they are servants to the Kerrs and staying in the household (at least they were there on the night of the census).

Offline JIMJGILROY

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 October 13 15:08 BST (UK) »
Just to compare notes with you,
My mother's father was JOSEPH KERR, 1876-1957 . Born in Derroar townland outside Beragh village. Joseph was one of  eleven children born to Francis and Catherine Harvey. Francis from Derroar, Catherine  from Drumduff or Drohan townland, also near Beragh. See Griffiths Valuation for family landholdings  and maps of exact location of houses and farms. see

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=doPlaceSearch&Submit.x=45&Submit.y=14&freetext=derroar&countyname=TYRONE&baronyname=&unionname=&parishname=TERMONMAGUIRK

James  married Sweeny, to New Zealand. Daughter Ruby married Stubberfield,
Margaret, married Sharkey, to US
Mary, married Rafferty
Mary, childhood death
John, married Green, to US
Francis, married McGlynn ,
Catherine, married Maynes,to  US
Jane, unmarried.
Thomas, married       , to US
Patrick, unmarried.
Joseph  married Owens
This appears to be the same family I think.  The childhood death of Mary would leave a family of 10.
No William in immediate family. According to my information, James married Sweeny and went to New Zealand. Does this fit with your information? 

Offline carolyn.dean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 February 14 06:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jim,I remember Joe Carr mentioning your name in a email I had with him a few years back.I have had not contact with him in along time and wonder if he had passed on.He was a wonderful wealth of knowledge.James Kerr who came out to New Zealand was my GG Grandfather and my maiden name was Kerr,and yes James did marry a Sweeney here in Kaikoura new Zealand,where I live.
It seems with different contact I have had with people no one knows very much about Francis Kerr and Catherine Harvey ie birthdates or where they are buried etc.
The name Francis still carrys on through our family with my fathers middle name being Francis.
There was never a William in the family,think this is a mistake also.Reqards Carolyn Sutherland (Kerr)

Offline JIMJGILROY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 February 14 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Glad to see your post Carolyn. My information on Catherine Harvey is that she was born about 1831 in Drumduff or Drohan townlands, close to Derroar townland. Catherine's mother was named Hackett. My information on Francis Kerr is that he was born about 1832 in Derroar townland. See
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai003387680/     1901 census.
If you have a tree/diagram of your GG Grandfater's descendants in NZ, iI would love a copy if possible. It would give me a clearer picture of you all there!!  Thanks Jim