Author Topic: Carberry's in Meath, Ireland  (Read 7897 times)

Offline dixi

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Carberry's in Meath, Ireland
« on: Wednesday 14 October 09 20:34 BST (UK) »
Dear Fellow Researchers

Would anyone be able to help me in my research. I am looking for date of births for the Carberry clan in Ireland and the date of immigrated to Scotland.

Thomas Carberry (b abt 1832 in Meath, Castlejordan) married Margaret Grahame (b abt 1831 in Meath, Castlejordan) on 09/11/1851 in Castlejordan.

They had fourteen children but only Eliza (b abt 1852) and Thomas (b abt 1854) were born in Ireland.

I have no idea the date that they immigrated.

I thank you all in advance for your help.

Irene Dix

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Carberry's in Meath, Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 20:55 BST (UK) »
Civil registration of births in Ireland started in 1864 so you'll need to search for church records (if they exist) for baptismal details which might include date of birth.
Ireland was part of the U.K. so no records were kept of people travelling between Ireland and Scotland, England, Wales but you can probably estimate when they went to Scotland by birthplaces/dates of the children.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline spuncy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Carberry's in Meath, Ireland
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 January 13 01:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Irene,

I've been researching the Carberry family around that area, but have not come across Thomas Carberry or Margaret Grahame before.

My ggg-grandmother was Margaret Carberry and I think she was born in Park, Ballyboggan (beside Castlejordan in Ballinabrackey RC parish) to Patrick Carberry and Mary Dempsey in 1838.

The Carberrys I've been tracing are in:
Park, Ballyboggan
Ardnamullen near Clonard (north of Ballyboggan)
Creggstown, Killucan (across the border in Co. Westmeath)

I suspect a link between all of these Carberrys. There are a couple of others also, in Hydepark, Killucan and Kinnegad.

Perhaps further analysis of the baptism sponsors or marriage witnesses may throw up some connections?

The only mention of Thomas Carberry from around that time that I've seen myself is a baptism in 1831 in Kinnegad RC parish to Thomas Carberry and Mary (don't know her surname). Although it's just across the county border, I'm not sure if this is your Thomas.

I did see a burial record for Thomas Carberry in Ballinabrackey RC parish in 1979 and listed his townland as Castlejordan. Perhaps there are some relatives still living there who might help?