Author Topic: Margaret Jones b. Trawsfynydd d. Margaret Pierce Ffestiniog  (Read 56643 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Jones b. Trawsfynydd d. Margaret Pierce Ffestiniog
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Pierce David/Davies is next door to Evan on the 1841

Same ref no. but No. 2 Bwlch wa

Pierce Davies, 80, labourer, born county

gnu

Note - this was the semi-patronymic form in action!  David has become Davies and Evan has taken his father's name as his surname.  I have one of my lines from Llanfawr that did this  - they do make us run around :D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline abstraction

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I have tracked this line back...
Evan Pierce
Pierce David 1758-1847
David Pierce b.1714
Pierce Owen, Hafod ysbyty d. 2 sep 1746
And that's as far back as i've found in the direct male line.

After Evan it's John Pierce - & I'm still a Pierce. I guess the english system of registration put a stop to it?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Have you got the address in Ffestiniog where Evan died. I've found John on the 1861, I think, with wife, Elinor. I've also located Bwlch?wa but not Evan  - maybe I'm being too restrictive :-\

gnu

will send the 1861, if you think that it is John
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline abstraction

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 22:37 GMT (UK) »
John left. He married in Melbourne in 1855. 

Evan's death - same place
3 Nov 1861
Bwlch Hwfa, Ffestiniog, Merioneth, Wales, Great Britain

His daughter Elizabeth married James Davies.  I have a letter in welsh to John from a cousin explaining what was left...

"now to Bwlchowan matters. As you have doubtless heard many times by now, during the week that your sister Elizabeth became married to James Davies, some disturbance of the mind overcame your late beloved father. It is difficult to know what was the true cause of this, whether he was sorry he let his daughter become married at that time, or unwillingness to the match, according to local talk, or the illness which was upon him which caused him to reach this state. For my part I think that the effect of losing his daughter together with his ill health went to his brain and affected his nerves. He was very ill for about three years and Elizabeth and James had many grave worries with him. He was dangerous to deal with at this time. Many times he made attempts on his daughter's life, and many others had narrow escapes. He himself had become inclined to wander in mind, as nearly everyone who has come to this state, but about two years before his death he came to his senses again, and was as quiet as a little lamb, and quite interesting to be with. The people of this community were very eager to send him to the Asylum at Denbigh, but that would have been very costly. They would have had to pay £2/10/0 a month for him. But Elizabeth your sister Elizabeth was against this. They determined to do their best to bring him back to his senses. They kept a man to look after him for a long time, and through everything went to a great deal of expense for him, but it is true that everything was done willingly for he was a father..."

Towards the end she says...
Everyone sends remembrances for every wave that is on the great ocean to you.
Such a beautiful metaphor...

She called him sion bach. 

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Found him on the 1861 - indexed as Price but definitely Pierce - a retired farmer, aged 60 ::)

RG9/4324/26/23

Will send  :)

It's a lovely phrase - have you got it in Welsh?

gnu

Offline abstraction

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 23:04 GMT (UK) »
You're brilliant! :-*

I do have the phrase in welsh, but not here - hard copy at home. I'm in singapore this week, and have to start my working day just when I'm enjoying this conversation so much. I've been to 56 countries in the last 10 or so years. Kind of ridiculous to be paid to do that...  So i'll send it to you when i get home next week.

I can't believe you have the noble tribes book. I went into a library in melbourne and had to wear white gloves in a special room to look at this very, very old book.  I found my family lines going back to roman times - I never mention it to people because it just sounds ridiculous. I also don't know how much to trust it, either.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Mine's a reprint but it did cost £60 about 6 years ago  :)

I'll dig it out and look up your links to see if we link up -  but it might be a while -it's not easy to work from  and the print is very small so have to use my magnifying glass  ::)

Someone once told me that all the North Wales people are related  ;D

gnu

Google says it should be

Mae pawb yn anfon atgofion am bob don sydd ar y cefnfor mawr i chi

Offline abstraction

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 01 December 11 08:33 GMT (UK) »
Hmm... i don't have the original welsh letter. It, with the oldest photographs (1850s on) are in the hands of a very uncooperative relative.  My 85yo dad is going to try again in the new year. 

Offline abstraction

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 09 December 11 04:36 GMT (UK) »
The letter!  A clue sitting there all the time!!

The letter (from a cousin writing on behalf of John Pierce's uncle) isn't signed - so we always thought it was from a Pierce, but it dawned on me the uncle could be a Jones - a brother of the Margaret Jones.  Well... it has an address: Pen y Ffridd - which is virtually next door to their place outside Ffestiniog. And in the 1851 census it's a Cadwaladr Jones, aged 41 (b.c.1810), Wife Ann 41, and several children. This Cadwalader or his son has diaries on archive somewhere called 'the ffestiniog papers'. 

Now no guarantee he's margaret's brother, but highly likely. If i can find his origins, I may verify who Margaret is. 

Is it possible to get the 1841 census record for Pen y Fridd property in Ffestiniog? 1861 would be helpful too.  And how would I find his parents or baptism?

The letter mentions 'my aunt Anne Parry - his (Cadwalader) youngest sister if you remember.'

Welsh genealogy is difficult. The names keep changing. But I'm going to solve this.