Author Topic: Gravestones, Llanegryn.  (Read 16835 times)

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Gravestones, Llanegryn.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 April 13 09:41 BST (UK) »
On the 1851 census, Humphrey gives his birth place as Talyllyn c1792 and Elizabeth (Betty) as c1789 in Llangelynin. Their son, John, and grandson, John, are living with them.

There is a Lloyd as a witness at the marriage but can't read the name. David Humphrey is the other witness and Humphrey is from Towyn.

Humphrey of Pontygarth was buried on 19th May 1860 age 69

Elizabeth of Pontygarth was buried on 12th May 1860 age 72

The baptisms of the children give the address as Pantllwyfog.

David

Offline meganlallen08

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 April 13 10:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks. I'll go check the census,
I've found llangelynin on google maps.  Can't find pontygarth.  What is it near?
Amazing that they died with in a week of each other
Cannot find pontllwyfog om google map either, help plz
Megan

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 01 April 13 13:20 BST (UK) »
Go to http://www.old-maps.co.uk and search on pontygarth or pont y garth

The post code LL36 9UG gives it with nearby houses and you can use this in Google Maps and Street View, although you will need the old maps to locate it.

I can't find Pantllwyfog.

David

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 01 April 13 15:53 BST (UK) »
This is a good link to Pont y Garth - http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/wa-87557-pont-y-garth-partly-in-llanegryn-communit

I looked at the marriage record again and the signature is Hugh Lloyd.

There seems to be a reference to him and Pontygarth in the NLW database - "a cottage in the occupation of Hugh Lloyd, a m. called Pontygarth, a moiety of a slate quarry in the
occupation of the said Hugh Lloyd" - http://isys.llgc.org.uk/isysquery/irl3311/2/doc#hit1

David

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 26 April 13 18:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Retpara,

Hugh Angel is buried at Llangelynin, but he died in Dolgellau.  From the Llangelynin Parish Registers, burials:
Gwen Angel died at Tycroes 26th October 1865 aged 49
Hugh Angel died at Dolgelley Workhouse 15th October 1885 aged 76
There is no headstone for either, but there is this one:

Memorial Inscription at St Celynin, Llangelynin 

Coffadwriaeth
mai yma claddwyd
EVAN
mab HUGH a GWEN ANGEL
Ty Crous
yr hwn a fu farw Rhagfyr 18ed
1845 yn 4 blwydd oed
Hefyd am
JENNET REES
yr hon a fu farw Medi 11eg 1855
yn 75ain mlwydd oed

Spelling as found.  There is another MI for later occupants of Ty Croes; 3 very young children of Edward and Gwen Jones, namely Elizabeth, Edward and Gwilym who all died between 1893 and 1909.  If they're yours I'll type it out.

brigau

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 April 13 11:58 BST (UK) »
Also from the Llangelynin burial register is an entry for Elizabeth Angel of Llwyn who died 4th June 1838 aged 31.  Hugh's first wife?  There is no headstone.

brigau

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 27 April 13 14:43 BST (UK) »
I notice from your 'Winter' tree that Gwen Angel's maiden name was Pugh.  This entry from the registers may explain the MI above:

Gwen Pugh was baptised at Llangelynin parish church 10th Sept 1815.  She  was the illegitimate daughter of Hugh Owen and Jonnet Rees.

Offline Retpara

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 27 April 13 16:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Brigau,
Many thanks for the information supplied this is great news, which helps me a solve the problem that I had of finding Gwen Pugh's father, only thing I find strange is that she hasn't adopted the name of either Owen or Rees, further research needed I think.
Also with regards to the later family in your post, it seems that my family moved out from Tycroes farm between 1881 and 1885 when Hugh Angel died, as they were on the 1881 census at Tycroes, but living in Blaenau Ffestiniog on the 1891 census. Therefore anything after these dates would not apply to my family.
Once again many, many thanks for your help with my family tree, it's much appreciated.
Retpara.

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 27 April 13 16:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Retpara

"I find strange is that she hasn't adopted the name of either Owen or Rees" 

It's not uncommon.  I was confused some time ago by a family from Dolgellau from the same time period.  Coincidentally they had three children with the surname Owen and two with the surname Pugh, all for no apparent reason.

Jennet/Jonnet/Janet Rees can be found in 1841 & 1851, she remained single.  A possible candidate for Gwen's father is Hugh Owen, a mason who later married Marry/Mary. They lived in the same area (can't remember exactly where!)