Author Topic: Goldenbridge  (Read 14160 times)

Offline annieoburns

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Goldenbridge
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 07 October 12 08:54 BST (UK) »
That is terrible... so much good information yet unable to make last connection.  I have been lucky to find two plots with full info in Goldenbridge.  The key bit of info that helped was to use 'advanced search' and put in location/address and that finetuned it enough as I did not have other precise information.  I think in the end I started putting in common christian names such as Mary, Anne etc until I got a 'hit'  and had to work through the years in 3 year blocks as permitted by the browser feature.   These burials were in 1830's so I had precious little other information to help save a family name and then the crucial bit of address.

You will get this information!  Good luck.

Wiffen, Utton, Clark, Spires,  Frisby, Raybould, Charlton, Green, (England)
Flood,  Daly, Doran, Mc Kercher, Gardiner, (Ireland/England)
Reid, Burns  (Ireland)
McGourty, Daly (Ireland/America)

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 07 October 12 10:35 BST (UK) »
Aussie
My sympathies on your experience with Glasnevin.  I think I may have spoken to the same woman a couple of times!  I called out to Glasnevin earlier this year pursuing a few graves for which I have records.  I called in to the new museum there and found the staff at reception cheerful and helpful in terms of explaining he numbering system and so on.  I wasn't, however, asking about records so I'm not sure how helpful they would be on that score.
I have looked at the Goldenbridge headstone transcriptions that Annieoburns mentioned.  They are, indeed, in Vol I of "Memorials of the Dead: Dublin City and County".  I consulted it in the National  Archives reading room.  It claims to be comprehensive.  The numbering system it uses, however, is of the author's own devising, not the official one, but the inscriptions are arranged alphabetically so you could start  with Hayes.  I don't think the Memorials are available online anywhere.
O'Brien, Keogh, Byrne, Cuffe, Kelly, White, Burke, Blosset, Evans, Hetherington, Hosey, Williams, Wright, Comerford, Carey, McKeon, Litton, O'Reilly, O'Toole, Nugent, Traynor, Broughall.

Offline annieoburns

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 07 October 12 11:22 BST (UK) »
I would not get your hopes up for finding info in the "Memorials..."  So many missing and damaged stones in Goldenbridge and they only started on that record in 1988 whereas other graveyards were recorded in much earlier times in that same series.  But it is a start and beats trekking around the stones trying to decipher inscriptions.  And also would help to fine tune your location if your stone is missing/damaged by identifying adjacant ones.

Yes he has a different numbering system in the Volume but I think the map/layout is the same?

I had good luck in getting a helpful person to give me info in person at Glasnevin as they had a database for post 1900 records before they digitalised the older ones.  Charging for their services is how they survive as a private concern I suppose.  I thought there was a second set of records for each plot but perhaps they were not digitalised hence the large fee to dig out the volume from wherever it is stored?

Apparantly the cemetary used to keep records of applications to put up stones but they were all thrown out when they moved office at some stage.  I suppose the designs had to be approved in advance as some are quite elaborate.
Reid, Burns  (Ireland)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 07 October 12 13:00 BST (UK) »
The guide on the tour yesterday had a map/plan of the cemetery with the monuments marked on it (for obvious architectural reasons)
The plan seemed to be extensive for the full area of the cemetery
He referred to records the architects were allowed see to help their conservation work that detailed the minutes of each weekly meeting for teh cemetary. From it they know the cost of works and number of burials etc. He did not state where they are held or exactly what they held but described them as so extensive that they did not have the time to read through them all.
I wonder if they could provide more information for the graves and their occupants?

Thank you again for posting the link I would never have known of this otherwise
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Dubchick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 07 October 12 17:15 BST (UK) »
So glad that a few of you went yesterday. Glad I posted the link now.

I didn't even know Goldenbridge Cemetery existed until about 6-7 weeks ago. I searched the (expensive) Glasnevin website. I found that my GGGparents were buried in Goldenbridge.  Their name was Patterson.
Hope there is a gravestone I believe it's near the canal wall.

I think Open House was held last year too. So hopefully it will be an annual event
Unfortunately I couldn't make it yesterday I had a little girls 5th birthday party to attend.
Hope to make a visit soon.
If anyone knows when it is open again please post as I would love to go some Saturday.

Offline annieoburns

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 07 October 12 18:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you indeed for the info Dubchick.  I had been before but had to make an arrangement with the caretaker.  It was much better to go with the group as it is an isolated place.  I fear the area near the canal is bereft of monuments.  Several reasons..... One would be these plots were the cheaper ones and maybe poorer stone or simple metal cross was put up that did not survive.  It is also lower lying ground and perhaps the topography did not help the preservation of the stones.  It is also exposed to the prevailing winds from the south west and many stones seem to lean to north east or have fallen over totally.  In this section there is a railing on top of less high wall which made for easier access for  low life to come in and maybe steal the stones or damage same.  It is furthest away from the Sexton's house at the gate and from the watchman's post in the main central temple.   The most expensive plots were those located within the oval enclosure to the temple building in the middle of the cemetery.  Then the next were in the 'barracks area, to the north of the temple.  There used to be an army barracks to the north.

I intend to go back .... maybe we could pm and go together?

Anne
Reid, Burns  (Ireland)

Offline Colur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 11 October 12 19:40 BST (UK) »
Working off the diagrams mentioned by Myluck I have put together the following which might be of some help in searching for graves in Goldenbridge.
Richard, our tour guide, stated that the cemetery was laid out in grid form with each grave identified by a ‘column letter’ and a ‘row number’.
Using THIS OSI map I will hopefully describe the lettering and numbering system used.
On entering the cemetery the lettering from the gate runs along the east boundary wall from right to left and the numbering on the north wall runs from left to right. The letters start with A then Aa then aa. It continues on through B,Bb and bb until the final three columns which are lettered CC, CCcc and cc giving a total of 87 columns in total (29 X 3). The cemetery is not a perfect square and the west wall contains six less columns than does the east finishing with the letters aa. The numbers on the north and south walls go from 1 to 50.
The only reference I have to go on is that supplied by Aussie Trekkie for the grave purchased by her GGG/father W33. I would estimate that this grave is 18 graves back from the bottom right hand corner and 15 graves in towards the chapel and marked on the map by the red +
Using the oval shape in the middle of the cemetery as a focal point and drawing four imaginary tangents running parallel to the boundary walls will divide the cemetery into nine segments.
The first three contain the columns A to Jj and rows 1 to 13, 14 to 37 and 38 to 50
The middle three commence with Column j to t with the numbers as above 
The last three sections contain the same numbers, 1 – 13, 14 – 37 and 38 to 50 but because of the irregular shape the columns vary.
Section 7 U to cc
Section 8 U to bb
Section 9 U to aa 
I hope this helps in some small way to narrow down your search. 
Comiskey,Hatton, Bell, Byrne.

Offline Aussie_trekkie

• RootsChat Member
  • Kevin Martin Irish Olympic Team 1948 &1952
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 11 October 12 19:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help I have email the museum in glasnevin as suggested and they are being very helpful. So a big thank you to all. PS looking at the map you are spot on with where the grave should be. My luck , the area was being used as the main gathering area for the dead branches and grass so I couldn't see it there was a headstone back in 2009. maybe next time I get back the will have cleared the area and I can check.
Martin-O'Byrne- Hayes-Rohan-O,Brien-Cullen,Flood-Kavanagh-Thompson-McFee-Brazil-Mitchell

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 19:44 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Does anyone know if there are any open days at Goldenbridge planned for later this year?

From the descriptions above, it looks like the plot that I am interested in will be along one side.

I see that the Goldenbridge Cemetery information still says that it can be visited by appointment only.

Has anyone here tried that?  Is it difficult to arrange and can you only go to one exact place, at a precise time or once you are there, can you wander around the area to see if other relatives are nearby?
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)