Author Topic: Dunn Family - Dublin 1800s  (Read 8763 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Dunn Family - Dublin 1800s
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 20 September 12 12:39 BST (UK) »
'Without' =  outside the old city walls.

There's another St. Nicholas parish 'within'.

Records for St. Nicholas Without are included n the IrishGenealogy website going back to the mid to late 1600s.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 20 September 12 12:53 BST (UK) »
not that many Dunn[e] baptism listings in those parishes in the 1810s...

just 8 in St. Peter's (the largest of the three) : link
one of them has parents John and Ann - a Catherine of Kevin St. baptised in 1813.

none in St. Patricks or St. Nicholas Without for the 1810s...

Does your source suggest that the family lived at New Street during the time all the children you've listed were born ?

The only Dunn/Fawcett record I've seen is a little later, the wrong way around and RC - Fawcett/Dunne baptism

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline markdrogers99

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 20 September 12 13:11 BST (UK) »
My source only mentions that James and Thomas were 'of City of Dublin, New Street'.  The source also indicates that both James and Thomas ended up in Australia.

In respect to the parents the source wording is as follows;

'Mothers maiden name Anne Fawcett, a native of of Dublin' and 'Father, John Leonard Dunn, a native of Dublin'. 

It is possible that they may not have raised the children in New Street but possibly James and Thomas shared a room/house in New Street when they left home looking for work.

James was employed by Sir Wm. Henry Palmer in Kenure Park, Rush as an indoor Servant around 1836.  In December 1836 the house was broken into and a huge amount of silverware and valuables were stolen.  It transpired James, along with William Archer and another gentleman, were the culprit's and were later caught. James Dunn was convicted of burglary and felony and sentenced to death. Though based on a letter from Sir Wm. Henry Palmer his sentence was commuted to transportation to Australia.
WHITFIELD / DUFFY / PENGELLY / MOSES / OSIAL

Offline mikelarry

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 27 March 14 01:25 GMT (UK) »
I think this is our forefather - this family now goes by the surname Cross in Australia
Mike

Offline Margootje

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 23:38 GMT (UK) »
I have only just joined the forum. Particularly interested in posts by markdrogers99. My great-great grandfather was convict James Dunn (b. Dublin 1808), son of James Leonard Dunn. He died in Wolumla, NSW, Australia in 1895. His wife, (Jane) Ann Scott, died there in 1911. James was a carpenter.  My gg grandmother (also Irish) was an orphan from the Manlius typhus ship. It is possible she worked as a maid for Lady Mary Fitzroy - there is a local newspaper death notice making this claim. The Parramatta orphan asylum was close to Government House. I think my gg grandfather was in the Port Macquarie region before he got his conditional pardon in 1849. Lady Fitzroy visited Port Macquarie in March, 1847. James and Ann married at Christmas Creek, Kempsey in 1850. But, I haven't been able to find anything on how (Jane) Ann Scott came to be in that area. The Port Macquarie historical society may have some information on James. I was at its museum in August this year, and I think it is him that is listed in some convict records. I will pursue this. I would also love to find out if the Michael Dunn listed as his brother was the father of the bushranger, John Dunn, hanged in 1866. There were family whispers about a bushranger, but it was never openly discussed because of the shame. There is a reasonable chance it is true, but the family has been unable to find proof.