Author Topic: Clive from Birmingham  (Read 5697 times)

Offline cromwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Clive from Birmingham
« on: Sunday 18 July 10 13:42 BST (UK) »
Intrested in the surname CLIVE ...........
From Before or After George Clive 1750-1804 who married Lydia Harper (1750-1823) 12th Sept 1771 Aston Birmingham
Surname changed to Clives with William Thomas Clives 1858
Father was Benjamin Clive 1818- 1888
I have a large family tree and will help anyone researching this name
Knight, Carter, Wilson, Juxon, Clive,Cutler

Offline jigfish

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Clive from Birmingham
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 23:49 BST (UK) »
Im currently researching my girlfriends family and her surname is clive... i've already got her family back to the george clive in 1750.. i'll pm you more

James

Offline cromwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 September 10 07:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks James for responding, already pinpointed your Clive
Replied to your P.M.

Offline bigtallgeezer

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 May 11 18:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I also have a large Clive family tree but don't think ours connect unless you happen to know better! My Clive line starts with the early parish records from Clent (mid 1500's), in Worcestershire with spellings of Clyve, Cleeve, Cleeves, Cleve, Clive , Clieve etc all depending on who was making the records, so I guess they were mostly illiterate! I have found no connection with George Clive at all, other than where people have copied a wrong line without seeing the records which has unfortunately ruined many a tree I've seen on ancestry.

I haven't followed many of the lines of 'Clive' other than my own very far and haven't found any of them going to Birmingham itself. Most of mine either lived and died in the Clent area, moved a little way to Old Swinford, and then somewhere near 1800 up to Wolverhampton.

The place where everyone seems to go wrong is where a character named Mezey Clive b.1804, has a father named John and then his father being your George. The John someone picked and then was wrongly copied was not the right one for Mezey and it took a few visits to the archives offices in Wolverhampton and Worcester to finally sort it out.

I am sort of hoping one of the Clent Clives did make his way to Birmingham and Sutton Coldfield but haven't found that link so far. Did your research take you back to Old Swinford or Clent?

Regards,

Les Clive
Mezey (or variations) Clive, Cleeeve, Cleeves, Cleve and Cleves 18th century and before around Old Swinford, Worcestershire, and 19th century around Wolverhampton, Staffordshire. This male name lasts for about 150 years in the Clive family.

Offline cromwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 May 11 15:25 BST (UK) »
No connection Les, and like you found half the trees on Ancestry wrong and just copied from one to another.......While researching my wife's family tree Juxon I found one lady had put 100s of names on her tree and most of them wrong so I send her a message and the reply was "I only do it as a hobby can you put it right for me please" I did not reply as I just did not want to waste my time

Offline SKINNERUK

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hi my names Martin Wilkinson I'm currently doing research on my moms side of the family the Clive's. Ive currently got as far back as George and Lydia Clive but haven't found out anymore. My mom is * Clive (*) she as a brother called * Clive (*) who's father was Samuel Clive (1917)who Married * (*). Be nice if we could compare what we have found out.

Many thanks Martin

* details of living people removed in accordance with Rootschat policy

Offline tanjil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 April 13 12:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Cromwell,
A friend is researching the Clives family from Birmingham. In particular the family of the wife of George Knight who we believe to have been Mary E Knight (nee Clives) who died Birmingham 1935
Fingers crossed here that you can help.
Regards Tanjil

Offline cromwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 May 13 11:06 BST (UK) »
I can help tanjil so send me a PM as my father George Richard Knight was also the father of Rita Jean Knight your friends mother.