Author Topic: Does anyone remember the SMITH family who emigrated to Durban?  (Read 2382 times)

Offline Relsearcher

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Does anyone remember the SMITH family who emigrated to Durban?
« on: Friday 05 December 14 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone - I was just wondering if anyone out there might remember the SMITH family who used to live at 66 Barmeston Road, Catford, London before emigrating to Durban, South Africa?

The family consisted of the parents John Henry Smith (born 1896) & Beatrice Smith nee Perkins (born 1895), and two sons John Arthur Smith (born 1922) and Ronald James Smith (born 1930).

Beatrice died in 1969 in Catford and it was at some point after that that John Henry Smith and his eldest son John Arthur Smith emigrated to Durban, South Africa.  John Henry lived in a care home - Kingsleigh Lodge - which has since changed use and I have been unable to locate any of their records.  I have also had no joy finding where he was buried, and no joy tracing John Arthur Smith.

Ronald James Smith remained in the UK and died in Kent in 1988.  I believe he married and had a son.

If anyone can remember John Henry Smith and/or his son John Arthur Smith I would love to hear from them!

Many thanks, Nina

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone remember the SMITH family who emigrated to Durban?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 December 14 18:39 GMT (UK) »
There is a possible marriage on familysearch for John Arthur under the Natal marriages.  Age wise it would fit, and he was born in England but .....

I see that Kingleigh Lodge is still listed as an old age home at 241 McDonald Road Glenwood.  Do you have any idea when John Henry died? 
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline Relsearcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone remember the SMITH family who emigrated to Durban?
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 December 14 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nookie - thanks for that - I have also found some possible marriages etc on the National Archives of SA site, and one possible marriage on ancestor.co.za but it would all be a guess - such a shame they have the surname Smith!

Re the old people's home - it was a police station until 1936 and then became an old age home - it is still listed on some sites as still up and running with the address 241 McDonald Road which is now Alan Paton Road (but the address was originally 224 Manning Rd just to add confusion to the matter), but it closed some years ago and is now a dermatology and skincare clinic.

Sadly I have no idea at all when John Henry died - as he emigrated in the early 1970s and was born in 1896 I would assume it could be any time between 1970-1996!

I have dashed off various emails in various directions but have not found out anything of value.

It seems very difficult to get access to any records of interest in SA.

Thanks for your input - all ideas are welcome!

Nina