Author Topic: David Richard/Richards of Strygosfawr, Lledrod.  (Read 77238 times)

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Richard/Richards of Strygosfawr, Lledrod.
« Reply #234 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Yes to 1701 and 1727 Wills. Yes to indenture that shows David as son and heir. No to the connection to David of Ffosybleiddiaid.

D.D.1460.Indenture, dated 1 Aug. 1769, being a lease for a year (so that a grant by release might be made) from David Richards of Strygosfawr in the parish of Lledrod, CO. Cardigan, gent, (son and heir of Thomas Richards of the same place, gent., deceased by Magdalen his wife) to James Lloyd of Mabus, Cardigan, esq., of messuages and lands in the said parish of Lledrod, called Strygos otherwise Strygos- fawr, and Twyn y rhose, and late in the tenures of Magdalen Richards, David Richards, Richard David and Thomas Jones. Witnesses : Wm. Lewis; David Jones; Richard Philipps.

This indenture shows that Thomas took over Strygosfawr when David (his brother) moved to Ffos in 1756. It shows David giving up the tenancy, (1 year's notice), of Strygosfawr in 1769 and this, I presume, is the result of Thomas' decease.

David of Ffosybleiddiaid had 2 children that I know of. David of Tynllan and a Daughter, Elinor. Knowing the family traits, I'm sure that he must have had other children not yet identified.

I see  that Joseph, the son of Jane and Owen Davies was unmarried. You may remember that he was bequeathed Ynysberfedd in the Rev. Edward's will of 1833. He continued to live there until his death in 1872. Living with him was his nephew, + wife+5 children and 2 servants. This shows that Jane and Owen also had a daughter, (Jane), married to a John Lewis. As soon as the females change their name on marriage they are invisible unless, like the item in your link, they are shown with their family name plus a residence reference.
                                     regards Peter

Richards in Anglesey. Liverpool, Cardiganshire.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Apologies if this has been covered before,but is the fate/later residence of David(not of Ffos or Tynllan),son of Thomas of Strygos(but not resident after 1769),father of Jane,Edward,John and James,known?I can't see an obvious death or will for either Thomas or David of Strygos,but I may just be suffering from the plethora syndrome or plain forgetfulness or.......

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 19:27 GMT (UK) »
We know that Penbryn and Bryn Issa were owned by William Davies (after the 1762 Indent and the 1777 indent). Because Thomas and Jane are mentioned I would say that their son David moved to Bryn Issaf after the death of Thomas. (The 4 children had been born at Strygosfawr before this date, Jane is 13 and James is 7). The following extract from an Indent dated 1778 shows that William Davies lived at Penbryn.

Extract from an indenture of 1778
 Elizabeth Davies of p. Lledrod, co. Card., widow, and Richard Davies of p. Llanvihangel Lledrod, gent. (brother of William Davies of Penbrynn in same p., gent.)

(Jane goes on to marry William Davies' son, Owen, (D1812), she dies in 1822 and it's at this point that Bryn Issa is left to the Rev. John Richards).
 The whereabouts of the children are known after 1777 but there are no dates of death or wills for either David or his wife. With you having found Averina I believe that the Richard Richards, Excise Office, could well be another son of David of Ffosybleiddiaid.
      regards Peter
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: Sunday 06 November 16 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi  Roger.
               When poked with a sharp stick, this topic came to life again.
  I have found a marriage between a David Richards of Lledrod and an Elizabeth Lewis of Llanbadarn Fawr that took place at St. Padarn's church, on the 6th of July, 1757.
 I remember that, when trying to find the mother of John and James etc., we thought that it may have been Jane. Another problem concerned a previous guess at a  marriage between a David and Elizabeth in Tregaron . I mentioned then that I had my doubts as this couple went a few years before having a family. Mentioned before is that when the Richards males marry, 92% of the brides are already pregnant!
 The "new" Elizabeth fits into this category as Jane is born in the same year as the marriage,
 Another avenue that  we persued was the naming of children after their grand-parents. Whilst researching the Richards/Bridges family I see that their first daughter was named Mary, (after the wife's mother) but that the second daughter was named Elizabeth. The Rev. John's first daughter is also named Elizabeth and so too is James' first daughter.
 The 'new' Elizabeth Died in 1790 so is not the Elizabeth mentioned in the final indenture for Bryn Isaf. She is described as 'widow' and, I believe, is related to the Richards family that seems to have been based in Llangwyryfon.
 It's all circumstantial but most of our successes have started off like that.

Some info on Rev. Edward of Epsom. Sir Henry Bridges was his wife's brother and was also a gunpowder manufacturer. Edward had 6 sons ... 2 Vicars, 2 Surgeons, 1 Lawyer and 1 landowning gentleman.
                What are your thoughts?
                                                    regards, Peter

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: Sunday 06 November 16 17:06 GMT (UK) »
My initial thought is that it will take me some time to get back into the flow of the thread(!)I'm happy to do so,but you may need some patience.

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: Sunday 06 November 16 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roger.
              Snow here and bitter cold. Patience is in abundance!
                                                             Regards, Peter

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roger.
             Just a snippet. David moves to Ffosybleiddiad in 1757, leaving Strygosfawr in the hands of his brother Thomas and his wife Jane; thus giving their son David the space to get married and have a family.
  Pulling info from various sources, ( Wills of the Revs. Edward and John ... gravestones etc.), it looks as if Jane and the Rev. John were both born in 1757 and were twins. James had twins, so too a son of the Rev. Edward of Epsom.
  It looks as if 1757 was a key date in our search for the parents of John, Jane et al.
                                               regards from Peter.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 11:23 GMT (UK) »
I have to admit I'm struggling to pick up the flow/threads after this amount of time,but I will try again shortly.One thing that comes to mind,which may already have been explored,is records relating to the clergy.They are sometimes found  in Oxford(or Cambridge) alumni records on Ancestry,and they are nearly always given as "..son of..." Not the easiest trawl with a name like Jones as we know..

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Not sure what made me put Jones!

Regards
Roger