Author Topic: Is there an alternative for the name "Deliah"  (Read 4447 times)

Offline chrisaaaaa

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Is there an alternative for the name "Deliah"
« on: Thursday 16 October 14 17:14 BST (UK) »
I am tentatively following a branch of my family up thru Cumberland/Westmorland.

I am a little flummoxed at a point which on the face of it looks promising, with a Deliah (surname unknown) who married a Mr Stephenson (first name unknown) around 1800, they had at least one child, Jane (b 1812 in Beetham, Westmorland, England).

I can see the name across 4 generations coming forward, but nothing going backward.

There are a lot of Dinahs etc, so I was wondering could Deliah be some kind of regional variant of a more common name?

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Is there an alternative for the name "Deliah"
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 October 14 18:25 BST (UK) »
1841  Census
Storth, Beetham, Kendal, Westmorland, England

William   Bush   Male   45   1796    Born Westmorland
Deliah   Stephenson   Female   70   1771   Born Warwickshire,
Ann   Cowin   Female   15   1826    Born Warwickshire

Is this the person?
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 October 14 18:38 BST (UK) »
I would say Delia or Deililah would be more common spellings, most probably all variants from the same.

Not that thre exact spelling of a name meant anything once you get back to the sort of era you are at!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 October 14 18:51 BST (UK) »
They possibly had other children including William 1807 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NY3D-GQC and  Mary  1800  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NY3D-GQC
Father Christopher

Kay

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 October 14 18:56 BST (UK) »

Offline chrisaaaaa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 October 14 18:58 BST (UK) »
@deebel - could be, in 1851 she turns up as a mother-in-law, born in Bampton, Cumberland. I pulled up the page you have there - or at least the Ancestry version, I cannot see where you get Warwickshire, it just has 'n' for out of county.

@lizdb, they seemed pretty consistent, there is one born in 1870 baptized as the more normal "Delilah".

@kay99, I'll take it, that looks close enough thhat it should have come up when I did a search for Janes siblings - sometimes Ancestry needs a good shove to find the obvious!

Thanks All.

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 October 14 19:33 BST (UK) »
Findmypast has Birth place as Warwickshire in the transcription for both Deliah and Ann Cowin. The image of the record as you say only says N not from this County
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline chrisaaaaa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 October 14 09:30 BST (UK) »
I wonder if the FindMyPast entry is a user annotation or some strange automated transcription error?

I pulled in the kids William and Mary and an earlier John in 1797 (father "Chr") which makes the 1793 marriage look a bit more likely, it was looking too early otherwise.

However I still cannot find a baptism for Jane in 1812, I cannot find a record for a sibling Christopher either which would be typical.

There is a 1794 Thos son of Thos and Delila in Beetham, which makes me wonder if Thos is some transcription error of Christopher, the Thos and Delila pair did not seem to have anymore children.

Jane only seemed to have two boys, so no Christopher to help add confidence.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 October 14 09:38 BST (UK) »
Findmypast has Birth place as Warwickshire in the transcription for both Deliah and Ann Cowin. The image of the record as you say only says N not from this County

It seems that everything marked 'N' is coming up as birthplace Warwickshire on FindMyPast at the moment.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=701811.msg5447971#msg5447971
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk