Author Topic: Thomas Dwyer - Dublin Attorney/barrister before 1846  (Read 2572 times)

Offline dwyerk

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thomas Dwyer - Dublin Attorney/barrister before 1846
« on: Friday 17 February 06 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I need help locating my GGGrandfather in Dublin where he was a lawyer for for years sometime between 1825 and 1845.  I am not sure what resource to use.

Records state the following:

1:
Thomas A. Dwyer came to Nueces County in 1849. He was a barrister in Dublin, then London, but gave up the practice of law to raise horses and mules on the lower Nueces River.

2:
Thomas A. Dwyer, a barrister in London who gave up law to breed horses on a ranch near Corpus Christi. Dwyer came here in 1847 aboard the steamship "Fanny." He explained why he gave up the practice of law: "Eleven years at law in London and Dublin, with few briefs," he wrote, "and just forty guineas in fees (equal to $200 of our American money) in four years' practice at the Irish bar.

Both of these accounts are from newspapers in Texas.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken Dwyer

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Dwyer - Dublin Attorney/barrister before 1846
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 July 07 03:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Ken,

The reply you received on your Thomas Dwyer - London Attorney/barrister before 1846 thread may assist people reading this thread to come up with some ideas. Thomas was a lawyer in Dublin prior to going to London so you may have to see if anything can be found at The Honorable Society of King’s Inns which is the oldest institution of legal education in Ireland. The Society was founded in 1541 during the reign of Henry VIII when it was granted the lands and properties on which the Four Courts now stand. When the Four Courts were built in the 1790s, the King's Inns moved to Constitution Hill.

Chris.

Offline KathyB317

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 04:31 BST (UK) »
Hi, Ken,

I just happened on this forum in a search for possibly the same Thomas Dwyer.  Have you gotten any additional information?  He may be my GGGrandfather as well, through son Thomas.  Through which offspring (son I assume) are you related? 

Thanks,
Kathy

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 12:53 BST (UK) »
This may be the Thomas Dwyer you are searching for.
Pettigrew & Oulton Dublin Almanac 1845 has 3 entries for Thomas Alex (Alexander) Dwyer

1. listed as Thomas Alex Dwyer bar. (barrister) at 10 Camden St Upper
2. Under listing for Barristers at Law 10 Camden St. U(upper) Admitted (to the bar) E (Easter term 1844)
3. Under 10 Camden St. Upper showing a Joseph Dwyer esq. 60 l with Thomas Alex Dwyer bar.

Added: a Joseph Dwyer showing in Directories from 1812-1835 as a grocer tobacconist in 106 thomas St Dublin.
Later directories show a Joseph Dwyer as a merchant  (firm J.J. Dwyer) with business at Commercial Buildings Dame St Dublin also an entry under merchants with house showing as 10 Upper Camden St.
Joseph Dwyer possibly moved from 106 Thomas St to Commercial Buildings when business expanded and family home moved to Camden St.
There is a baptism on www.irishgenealogy.ie from a Thomas Dwyer 4 Mar 1819 with father Joseph in St Catherine's parish which would cover Thomas St. Could be a possibility.
See Link
 http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/f9372d0055520
annclare

annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline KathyB317

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 15:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Annclare!  I've seen the birthdate before and I'm not sure which of the Texas Thomas Dwyers it applies to, but much of the information referenced fits with what I've found.  Now, if I can find more information about his wife, Annie Croker.  That's another thread for another day.